Closed Thread
Page 54 of 301 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104154 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3295973;
    I didn't get that either. From what we've seen, she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed yet she graduated at 16?
    She went to a continuation school so most likely just has a GED.

Some of those continuation schools allow students to work at their own pace. They also require less coursework to get a diploma. Bare minimum, if I remember correctly. Our neighbor's child wound up at one and she told us that it was horrible. They sat at a desk all day long, just working on these little booklets. She finished up so fast because she hated going there. I can see Raquel in the same situation.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3295825;
    I totally remember. They were way ahead of their time. I was too young to get into it, but they have certainly been mentioned and revisited through the years.
    I remember reading a while back that Lance Loud died of Aids.

I can remember how whenI was a kid my gradmother would always say, "never air your dirty laundry in public." We've sure come a long way, haven't we?
    My grandma said the same thing!!! She also told me that I should never do anything that I wouldn't want on the front page of the NY Times. I've lived like that always.
    The other advice she gave me was not in English, but translates roughly to tell who your with and I'll tell you who you are. These women should take note.
    I do find it funny that these people enjoy the attention they get. That shows so much insecurity. I always remember the character that Philip Hoffman played in that movie where he hired the camera crew to follow him around. That was pathetic yet funny. I guess that's our enjoyment of these OC people. They are pathetic, yet funny, too.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3295825;
    I can remember how whenI was a kid my gradmother would always say, "never air your dirty laundry in public." We've sure come a long way, haven't we?
    I think this country took a seriously pathetic turn with the advent of The Jerry Springer Show. All of these shows are just so "Springer-ish". He made rude and common behavior acceptable, I guess....and it hasn't gone away yet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Funny Jerry Springer didn't start that way. He was a normal guy, at one point, I've been told. Then he wanted ratings and got rude and obnoxious. I suppose that's what's going on here. These women were somewhat tolerable at the start and have gotten worse and worse all in the name of ratings. Maybe they should go on Jerry's show!

FORT Fogey

Vicki, Jeana, Tamra, Lynn and Gretchen were on The Bonnie Hunt Show today. Tamra said that she was so drunk that she did not remember making the "naked drunk" comment to Vicki.
    Gretchen said that as soon as she saw it on TV she sent Tamra a TM asking her "What?"
    BH asked Jeana about the Shane behavior at dinner after the game. Jeana said that Shane laughed after he said it but they cut it out.
    Vicki said that she had a glass of wine at Jeana'a house two weeks ago and Jeana said No she did not because she does not have wine in the house anymore.
    Lynn, still the outcast, didn't say a word.

It's interesting that so many people who go on these reality shows always say it was taken out of context, edited, etc. Quite amazing.......

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3296975;
    It's interesting that so many people who go on these reality shows always say it was taken out of context, edited, etc. Quite amazing.......
    The ONLY reason that I believe it with THIS show is when you watch it the scenes are out of order so I do believe that they insert words and phrases where they want to.
    I am NOT saying that these words or phrases are not said. I am just saying that most likely they are not said in the setting that they have edited them into.
    Example, the other night as Shane was eating and trash talking his mother, the camera flashed to Jeana and then to Vicki to show their look of distain and horror. Then it went back to Shane. Well when Shane made his face slapping comment his plate was empty but then 2 nano seconds later he had half a plate of meat. In that 2 nano seconds that the camera was off of Shane did his billet dad slap his dinner out of his mouth and back onto his plate? (I know wishful thinking).
    I have gotten to where I watch the background and things like that to see just how badly that weeks editing is.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Excuses everywhere, huh?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Of course they take reality shows out of context, edit them fancy, etc to distort reality. When they're editing, the goal is not to accurately depict the events of a day -- the goal is to create an entertaining program. All shows do it, and the smart participants know what they're getting in to. Just like on American Idol, they'll take clips of judges saying something, and edit it to something else in the montages they do (as is evidenced by the flip-floppoing backgrounds) on a show like RHOC, they'll pull a reaction shot out of context in order to make that either more dramatic or more humorous. If watching an honest portrayal of real life, without the editing, was that exciting, C-Span would get higher ratings.

I think that's why I am surprised at time when people analyze reality show "characters" as if we know them. We know the person portrayed on TV. They're two different things.

Closed Thread