Closed Thread
Page 52 of 301 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102152 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3293685;
    I mean if she doesn't have a rich husband, then what is she going to do? Her whole career has been as an ex-playboy bunny. None of them seem to bright, though
    Jeana doesn't need Matt or his money. She makes her own money and I doubt that she'd have it any other way.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3293451;
    But Jeana could have gotten out long ago!
    People stay in abusive relationships because they think they can't do any better. Jeana always makes excuses for why she stayed with her husband so long, but I bet it boiled down to Jeana thinking that man is what she deserved.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3293616;
    There comes a point when you've got to decide if you are a victim or a volunteer. Unfortunately, I think Jeanna actually thought that she was a victim, but she was actually a volunteer, whether she knew it or not.
    I can't say I really see a lot in Jeanna that indicates she thinks she was a victim. I think that she'd say she was more of a volunteer. To me, everytime she talks about her marriage, she comes across as very matter of fact about it, generally stating that BOTH of them chose to live under the conditions they did for as long as they did. She's never come across to me as thinking she was stuck with Matt, or a victim to him in any way. My impression has always been that they made the collective deicison years ago to lead parallel lives under the same roof, and then finally came to the conclusion that it would be just as easy for them to live those parallel lives in separate homes.

When you look at Jeanna's approach to dating this season, I think it's evident that she's not the kind of woman who feels she needs a man to "complete" her. She's made a few remarks about people looking for a good man for her, or having her eyes open. But she's FAR from the "I've gotta get out there, I've gotta find a man" woman that we've seen in someone like Quinn - or even Laurie before she found George. I think that Jeanna is a very very independent person. There are bad and dissapionting things in her life, but she doesn't seem to get caught up in them. She just kind of ignores them, and focuses on what is good or what matters more.

What I have found sad is the tone Jeana uses when she talks about her marriage. Possibly the drugs she is taking make her sound that way, but she has this sound of having given up long ago.That's why I believe she could've left, but her attitude (and her tone) is one of 'it was easier' so they settled and continued on, day after day, year after year. She chose not to leave and the family situation hurt the offspring who think their family is normal.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by New Mommy;3294032;
    What I have found sad is the tone Jeana uses when she talks about her marriage. Possibly the drugs she is taking make her sound that way, but she has this sound of having given up long ago.That's why I believe she could've left, but her attitude (and her tone) is one of 'it was easier' so they settled and continued on, day after day, year after year. She chose not to leave and the family situation hurt the offspring who think their family is normal.
    But I don't think that her kids DO think its normal. just look at the number of times that Kara has said in interviews that she wishes that her parents had divorced years ago. There are certainly cases like that where kids see nothing but the family structure they have, and think that's how family works. But I think that in this case, Jeanna's kids have seen other, better functioning families, and understand that what they have is not what they should be striving for as adults someday.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3293843;
    I can't say I really see a lot in Jeanna that indicates she thinks she was a victim. I think that she'd say she was more of a volunteer. To me, everytime she talks about her marriage, she comes across as very matter of fact about it, generally stating that BOTH of them chose to live under the conditions they did for as long as they did. She's never come across to me as thinking she was stuck with Matt, or a victim to him in any way. My impression has always been that they made the collective deicison years ago to lead parallel lives under the same roof, and then finally came to the conclusion that it would be just as easy for them to live those parallel lives in separate homes.

When you look at Jeanna's approach to dating this season, I think it's evident that she's not the kind of woman who feels she needs a man to "complete" her. She's made a few remarks about people looking for a good man for her, or having her eyes open. But she's FAR from the "I've gotta get out there, I've gotta find a man" woman that we've seen in someone like Quinn - or even Laurie before she found George. I think that Jeanna is a very very independent person. There are bad and dissapionting things in her life, but she doesn't seem to get caught up in them. She just kind of ignores them, and focuses on what is good or what matters more.
    Very well stated! (as usual )

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'd say the money, the lifestyle, and appearances are what kept her wanting to stay there. Messed up mentality. Volunteer.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3294103;
    I'd say the money, the lifestyle, and appearances are what kept her wanting to stay there. Messed up mentality. Volunteer.
    I'm not sure I follow the logic. Jeanna was one of the top billing real estate agents in the entire ReMax system. I believe that the money and the lifestyle was being supplied by her MUCH more than by a has-been baseball player / scout who wasn't even a top name in his hey-day. In fact, I've gotten the impression that even now, Jeanna may be funding all or part of the place where her husband is living. I've never thought Jeanna was relying on a man for her lifestyle in the way that Laurie, Tamara, Gretchen, or Jo are/were. Keeping up appearances maybe. But given how open Jeanna has been about the sorry state of her marriage, I'm not sure there was any delusion of keeping up appearances.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I could see her wanting to maintain a certain "picture", for public reasons, and for talking points. I don't think it's necessarily about what WAS the reality, as much as it could have been about the image that could be created. I don't think she "got real" until many, many years into the marriage....and she's still not divorced. I see her as doing that "Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch" thing. I don't get the impression that she knows how to be proactive, so much as reactive. That is one of those things that you've got to make up your mind about being, a lot of times.

Gimme a break.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Jeana may also have had some pressure from her in-laws. That has never been stated. Kara may speak up and say her parents should have divorced but her brothers are another story. Possibly, the males identify with the father and the female with her mother. She may have the mindset that she will never get treated like her mother. Never once has the camera picked up Kara telling her brothers to treat their mom different or with respect.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

Closed Thread