Closed Thread

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

These are the women who went on national television to show you and me how enormously privileged they are, and how jealous we should be of them? It's hard to believe they didn't get it from the start that they are little freaks in a cage with a camera, doing tricks for our amusement. I'd feel sorry for them if they had a little less hubris.
    You know, Prism, I would not be suprised if some of these women wished they never signed up for the show, especially now with the rapid speed of their skeletons that are emerging one right after the other from their bigger-than-life "charged" Prada and Verce filled closets. Some of the women that you mentioned appear to have gone into hiding along with their sole mate spinmeister, and others continue to try to spin their stories with the idea we were all born yesterday.

One of the linked articles flat out states these shows are not scripted. As an example, Lauri proved that after using her poor son. What I would like to know is how the show affected Georges business; it had to! How does he muster up the nerve to show his face in the BEDroom....errr, BOARDroom after three years of playing the scam artist? The same goes for Simon. And Donn?....Who knows what that man is thinking? Maybe he sticks around because he likes the abuse.

I hope the next Housewife and her hubby is prepared. They have no excuse. They are going into this with their eyes wide open. Poor kids!!
    Last edited by Oompaloopa; 09-01-2009 at 05:06 AM.
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

I defense of the OC women(first season) they probably didn't know or think about the negative impact that the show would have on their lives. It was new and it may have sounded like a good idea (at the time). I bet that it was fun for them to feel like local celebrities. The first season was an entirely different show than what the others have morphed into. I wouldn't want cameras following me around but (again) the first season was pretty calm and simple. Laurie trying to make ends meet and having some troubles with her kids. Jeana was a successful real estate agent with a husband that didn't care about her. Vickie a workaholic and Jo and Slade (we all knew that it wouldn't work out). I can't even remember the other woman, was it Kim? No tables flipped no huge fights in restaurants. Eventually this all changed with the addition of Tamara and then Gretchen. Somebody figured out that the meaner they got the more screen time they got. I won't defend the women on the other shows. Hadn't they already watched a couple of seasons of OC and seen how badly a person could come off looking? I also question what the executives at BRAVO were looking for or saying to the women chosen for Atlanta and NJ (first season of NY was pretty calm also). Maybe they wanted a little more action, drama or controversy. These women certainly delivered! The OC woman may not have know what they were in for but at this point I think that they have gotten addicted to "the celebrity". That's a hard thing to give up! It's like a drug that even though it's bad for you, you still want more. As far as the men go I doubt if this show affects them very much because most people don't watch it. I live in OC and only know a few people who do. I worked in a hair salon(in Huntington Beach) during the first couple seasons of OC and people knew about the show but didn't watch it or care about it so I doubt that business men even give it a second thought. I only know some of the things that I know because I read it here or I look for it but most people can't be bothered.

tvaholoic, by the way....love your avatar and user-name. Classic!

I agree completely with the idea the women were different the first season. However, some said and did some things that I thought were inappropriate since they had young kids. Lauri was in a league of her own after capitalizing on her then 16 y/o son to garner sympathy; I was outraged as time went on b/c her using him got even worse each season.

Still, you're right. Today the shows have morphed into a "Girls Gone Wild" sort of show that leaves little to the imagination and makes them all look extremely foolish, catty, immature, and extremely jealous especially if one gets more air time. I am also one who thinks TamRRRaaa and Vicki were the jealous insane instigators. I think Gretchen was blindsided by their vicious attacks. There is no excuse for the Naked Wasted episode any more than the mock Intervention Lauri put Josh through at one of the most vulnerabe times in his life.

IIRC, in one of the links I posted up-thread, it stated there were over 4.5 million viewers now watching these mindless POS shows showing they are gaining in popularity, but the network might be lying about that too. If NBC does turn the franchise into a quasi daily soap opera it might initially attract more stay-at-home viewers. The down side to this theory, in addition to the whole change in the (can't refer to them as ladies) behavior, is it won't take long for the daily shows to run their course. As for me, I am tired of all their flat out lying about their sorry behinds being so rich, their immature behavior, and cat fights. I hear enough of that type of screatching and clawing in my back alley.

Bravo initially had a brilliant idea that in time went terribly wrong.
    Last edited by Oompaloopa; 09-01-2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Added.

Sad thing is that I really am a tvaholic! I'm trying to cut back.
    I really liked Tammy who came on in the second season. She was beautiful and didn't even do all of the makeup and hair. She was very low key but her story was so interesting. Had the largest house in Coto and the husband leaves her! A 10 year relationship with her son's dad and when he finally decides that they should get married she says no! No crazy fighting just the good old fashioned stuff that soap operas are made of! The creepy, weird ex with the mail order bride (I think that she killed him) and the daughters didn't get any of his money! It was just interesting. Now, on the other shows, we get 3 weeks of them showing the same fight footage over and over again. Ahhhhhhh,I long for the good old days of OC.

Tammy was my favorite. She was stunningly beautiful, kindhearted, and classy with a capital C!! Even though she came out of a nasty situation she did it with her head held high. I also found her story compelling and real. She didn't have to prance around acting the fool to get my attention. She was captivating and lovely without saying a word. I am glad she found love again, at least I hope she is still with the guy - Michael? If he is a quality person, Tammy deserves that.

Tammy especially won my respect when she took her 'adult' kids off the show knowing it was the right thing to do, AND, she actually did it for the right reasons. On the other hand, Lauri did not leave the show because of her kids as she wanted us to believe.

Yup, tvaholic, that first year was the best. It's nothing but trash TV now if you ask me. Let's see who else goes belly up. That is the only reason I still have an ounce of interest left - The bigger they are, the harder they fall. I do feel sorry for all the kids.

Oh, by the way, IIRC, Tammy was one of the originals who appeared on the first season.
    Last edited by Oompaloopa; 09-02-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added a comment

Does anyone know when the new season may be starting up??

TIA!!

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3689146;
    Does anyone know when the new season may be starting up??

TIA!!
    I don't know but we were down in Laguna (Saturday night) trying to buy scalper tickets for the "Pageant of the Masters" Gala. I kept kidding around saying to my boyfriend "I just know that RHOC are in there". I HAVE TO GET IN! I was hoping (just a little) that I would see one! Didn't get in. Didn't see one! Boo-hoo! Did manage to get tickets for the last night and not a housewife in site.

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3689192;
    I don't know but we were down in Laguna (Saturday night) trying to buy scalper tickets for the "Pageant of the Masters" Gala. I kept kidding around saying to my boyfriend "I just know that RHOC are in there". I HAVE TO GET IN! I was hoping (just a little) that I would see one! Didn't get in. Didn't see one! Boo-hoo! Did manage to get tickets for the last night and not a housewife in site.

Yes, tv, well everytime I happen upon the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa I always think I may run into any OR all of them......hasn't happened yet!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;3689229;

Yes, tv, well everytime I happen upon the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa I always think I may run into any OR all of them......hasn't happened yet!!!!!
    I did a search and found that they were taping Season 5 in the spring and that one regular wouldnt be back. The blog did not get specific as to who the wife was that wouldnt be back or when Season 5 would air. Im guessing after the Atlanta season is over.
    Ive been away from the board for awhile so sorry if this has been posted. Im also not sure what the rules are of posting info that has been reproted in the OC Register.
    Last edited by Boston_Bill; 09-07-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Bill;3693240;
    Im also not sure what the rules are of posting info that has been reproted in the OC Register.
    You know I don't know the rules either BUT what I usually do is after I post something that has been in the paper I post that link for all to read for themselves. OCR is a really good source of info on the OC ladies!

Closed Thread