Closed Thread
Page 15 of 301 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Re: The Real Housewives of Orange County

Just wondering, why do some of you dislike Kara? I've noticed a lot of people find her obnoxious, but I quite like her and can relate to her (we're around the same age/at similar points in our lives so maybe that's why) a lot.
    A recent survey stated that the average person's greatest fear is having to give a speech in public. Somehow this ranked even higher than death which was third on the list. So, you're telling me that at a funeral, most people would rather be the guy in the coffin than have to stand up and give a eulogy.
    -- Jerry Seinfield

FORT Fan

I think it's more the comments she's made this season about the hippies at Berkeley, how's she's born to be a Republican, the not wanting to take an internship because it doesn't pay, how her mother refuses to buy her any more clothes because she's got so much. It all smacks of the obnoxious, spoiled OC brat. She seemed more likable in past seasons, I think that college was just such a shock for her. Which I don't understand-I transferred twice until I found a college that was the right fit for me, and her family is clearly much, much richer than mine was. It doesn't make sense to me to stay in a place where she's unhappy just because she wants to see things through, she'll get much more out of her education if she's happy.

Otherwise, I think she's one of the least reprehensible kids on the show. She doesn't party, she pretty much follows her mother's rules, she doesn't drink. It's because we aren't seeing Shane's obnoxiousness, (as much) of Michael's bad behaviour, the tattoos and drinking of Tammy's kids, or (eek) pretty much anything out of Laurie's household that she looks bad. Look who she's up against-granted, Michael is still awful, but we're not seeing so much of him. Shane and Colton are pretty much absent. Laurie's left, Gretchen has no kids and Jeff's have been shown caring for their father, and Ryan is slowly getting more responsible (or so the edit shows) So the one Kara competes against is Brianna, who should be nominated for sainthood just for putting up with Vicki. Obviously Kara comes up smelling less than roses in that comparison

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;3271043;
    I think it's more the comments she's made this season about the hippies at Berkeley, how's she's born to be a Republican, the not wanting to take an internship because it doesn't pay, how her mother refuses to buy her any more clothes because she's got so much. It all smacks of the obnoxious, spoiled OC brat. She seemed more likable in past seasons, I think that college was just such a shock for her. Which I don't understand-I transferred twice until I found a college that was the right fit for me, and her family is clearly much, much richer than mine was. It doesn't make sense to me to stay in a place where she's unhappy just because she wants to see things through, she'll get much more out of her education if she's happy.
    I agree. She should just transfer. Didn't she say that she flew to her boyfriends house every weekend? Wasn't it San Diego or something? That has to be quite an expense!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3271046;
    I agree. She should just transfer. Didn't she say that she flew to her boyfriends house every weekend? Wasn't it San Diego or something? That has to be quite an expense!
    On the flip side of that however, as a conservative minded person getting an education at Berkley, Kara is making the intentional decision to expose herself to the thoughts and ideas of an entirely different train of thought from her own. I applaud her for that. It would be extremely easy for her to surround herself with people who think like her in an educational environment, and never really be exposed to other ways of thinking. The cost of tuition was obviously not an issue for her, so she could have gone somewhere like Hillsadale College in Michigan, and surrounded herself with like-minded conservative students and professors, pretending to everyone in the world thinks like her and re-inforces those thoughts. By not doing that, Kara will get a much better education, and I would guess she knows that. There aren't many who are willing to do that, and I'm impressed with anyone who does.

I think in general two things happen when people are thrust into unfamiliar surroundings -- they either grow from the experience or it jars them so much they want to retreat back into their comfort zone even more. It's hard to tell from just a few snippets of film, but Kara seems to have done the latter. It kind of surprises me, since she did seem to be the more adventurous type.

That said, I hated living in Berkeley for many of the same reasons. This was in the '80s and the culture felt every bit as rigid and orthodox as a religious compound. I remember my roommates debating whether they should accept my rent check because it came from Bank of America, which they were boycotting because it had holdings in South Africa. I was forever having to pass politically correct litmus tests. It was all over when I became a member of the "vulture media" (which in reality was a little community newspaper in Oakland). I'd crossed over to the dark side. And I wasn't even a Republican!
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3271282;
    I think in general two things happen when people are thrust into unfamiliar surroundings -- they either grow from the experience or it jars them so much they want to retreat back into their comfort zone even more. It's hard to tell from just a few snippets of film, but Kara seems to have done the latter. It kind of surprises me, since she did seem to be the more adventurous type.

That said, I hated living in Berkeley for many of the same reasons. This was in the '80s and the culture felt every bit as rigid and orthodox as a religious compound. I remember my roommates debating whether they should accept my rent check because it came from Bank of America, which they were boycotting because it had holdings in South Africa. I was forever having to pass politically correct litmus tests. It was all over when I became a member of the "vulture media" (which in reality was a little community newspaper in Oakland). I'd crossed over to the dark side. And I wasn't even a Republican!

Iagree with you on the two things that can happen in unfamilair surroundings, but I disagree with you as to which Kara has done. If it were the latter, wouldn't she have quit Berkley and transferred somewhere else? The reputation of Berkley is well known. Kara knew what she was getting in to, and chose to go there anyway. She said on the show that the liberal aspects were stronger than she'd expected, but she expected them, and still wanted to go back.

It still amazes me that Brianna turned out the way she did with a mother like Vicki.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by serpentina;3271426;
    It still amazes me that Brianna turned out the way she did with a mother like Vicki.
    I think that's another one of those "In this situation, two things can happen" things. With a mother like Vicki, I think that children either find ways to manipulate the manipulation and turn out just like the mother (Michael) or else they start to compare mom to other mothers they know, decide that they don't care for the behavior of their own mom, and work very hard to do exactly the opposite in their own lives. I think that Brianna is one of those who saw other families, decided she liked that better, and is striving to be the opposite of her own mother. Considering how long Brianna has been dating her boyfriend and really grew up with him, it would not surprise me at all if his mother is not a very normal, down to earth woman, and Brianna is incredibly close to her.

In season one or two, wasn't Vicki trying very hard to discourage the relationship between Brianna and her boyfriend? Something along the lines of he was "too common" for her daughter? He was going to be a cop or fireman, something like that.

I agree that Brianna probably saw the boyfriend's mom as a normal mom and took a liking to her and the kind of lifestyle she led/leads. But I also wonder if Brianna didn't keep going out with the boyfriend just to drive Vicki nuts. The more mom protested, the more Brianna stood by him.

Whatever, it seems like Vicki has accepted him as Brianna's boyfriend in the last season or two.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3271483;
    In season one or two, wasn't Vicki trying very hard to discourage the relationship between Brianna and her boyfriend? Something along the lines of he was "too common" for her daughter? He was going to be a cop or fireman, something like that.

I agree that Brianna probably saw the boyfriend's mom as a normal mom and took a liking to her and the kind of lifestyle she led/leads. But I also wonder if Brianna didn't keep going out with the boyfriend just to drive Vicki nuts. The more mom protested, the more Brianna stood by him.

Whatever, it seems like Vicki has accepted him as Brianna's boyfriend in the last season or two.
    Yes, initially Vicki was very against the relationship. As you said, the primary reason was that his aspirations were not high enough for Vicki's taste. The secondary reason (which I could kind of understand) was that Brianna had started dating him so young that it would be hard to tell if they were together because he was truly the man for her, or just because they'd gotten used to each other.

Closed Thread