+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1493Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of Atlanta

Re: The Real Housewives of Atlanta

Feeling sad for Kandi and Porsha, especially Kandi for what's ahead unless she dumps the man soon. Porsha seems to have invested so much emotional energy in the cover up, it looks like a way of life, she could be fooled again.
    Punkin likes this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

I don't want to be "one of those people" but I am not sure how much I believe Porsha. Trust me I have been there & back. I guess some people handle things differently. She seems almost giddy to retell her story but again that can be a cover-up. I know I was majorly depressed & then pissed off. I was never happy during that period of my life.
    I believe her to a certain extent that things weren't "right" between her & Kordel..ack nevermind. I hope she finds happiness & peace.
    Punkin likes this.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Nene's in the hospital with Blood Clots in her lungs...NeNe Leakes HOSPITALIZED -- 'I'm Blessed to Be Alive' | TMZ.com

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

How bothersome to think that Nene and I have something in common. I've done the blood clot routine, too; they usually come from your leg and travel up. A lot of people do not survive. Unless things have changed, she is in for 6 months of anti-clotting therapy and regular blood tests; it actually got to the point where I would report to the lab and do my own test; then you tell the doc the results and the doc decides whether to increase or decrease your daily dosage. It can take weeks to find a therapeutic level.

I just woke up one morning and it felt like I had a pulled muscle in my calf, and I was limping. So much for going to work that day. The size of the clot in my leg was from mid-calf to mid-thigh. The gorgeous hosptalist (Dr.) was going to send me home until I told him that I got short of breath upon very mild exertion. Admission 2-3 days. Little blood clots were scattered all throughout each lung. I had the questionable pleasure of sitting/laying around for the next couple of weeks with a visiting nurse making me feel like I was a thousand years old and giving me abdominal injections of an anti-clotting drug everyday, and running the test for the level.

What a drag. We are not educated enough on the potential lethality of this condition, and what to look out for.
    Punkin likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

My niece has the same thing and she has this from taking yaz birth control. Had she not gotten to the hospital the dr says she may well have died. I am so glad nene is ok.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Proshay, what causes this condition?

Boy, talk about crossing 2 storylines......I had uterine fibroids that caused massive bleeding (not uncommon), and the doctor decided to put me on a hormone patch to, hopefully, control the bleeding. Those hormones caused the bloodclot. I can never take hormones again. It can also not uncommon for people to develop and throw clots after plane trips. Some people simply drop dead....think Tim Russert, the newsman. I understand Nene's were from her flying back and forth across the country when she was working on the television shows. Russert had just come back into the country from an assignment overseas. I've seen birth control pills cause the problem. That is why it is extremely important to get evaluated if you feel short of breath. We always go into denial and try to tough things out, but that could be our last fatal mistake.

I ended up needing a blood transfusion and, eventually, got a full hysterectomy. It was one disgusting episode in my life.
    Punkin and MsDiva2007 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Both of my brothers have developed blood clots after surgery and one of them will be on Coumadin for life after having several more over the years. Scary thing blood clots. I know David Bloom from NBC died from blood clots after riding around in that jeep in Iraq but didn't know that's what killed Tim Russert too!

Hydration and moving around is super-important, too. You should keep in mind that your urine should be, virtually, clear, colorwise. Drink, drink, drink. I keep a large bottle of water at hand 95% of the time. Good thing I love water! I learned to drink it when I was on NutriSystem years ago.

Having to be on a blood-thinner forever is a scary thing. It was bad enough having to deal with it for the 6 months. You start seeing the problems around every corner. You bruise extremely easily. A hangnail can bleed all afternoon, if you make the mistake of picking at it, and I am a picker. An accidental bump to the head can set off intracranial bleeding, for no good reason. A car accident can really set things off. I had to tell my doctor that the normal course of treatment for my anticlotting medicine was 6 months, and I was a little over 6 months in and getting paranoid about an accident. She had to go to the PDR and look up the medicine (Warfarin, which is a generic coumadin) and she discontinued my medicine. Luckily, I had other doctor friends who were looking out for me. Like I've said before, all doctors did not graduate at the top of their class, but they are ALL get to be called "DOCTOR". Luckily, my doctor friends were geeky, nerdy, and extremely well-read!

Scary!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 11-21-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Punkin likes this.

My sister had blood clots after going on the pill to control heavy periods. She found out she has a genetic clotting problem that 4% of the population has. And she told me that I might have it to, that I could never go on synthetic hormones without having the $3,000 test to say if I had the same thing. We think it came from my dad who has had clots. Good thing I was an old maid who never went on hormones.

My younger sister died of TTP (not a genetic thing, but a different blood disorder). And over a year ago I was a match for a 52 year old woman who needed a bone marrow transplant. I did all the testing. But poor lady was too afraid to go through with the procedure. I do not blame her. I asked if the center wanted to throw in the extra test while they were at it. They said it was up to the doctor. That I could donate marrow even if I had the genetic disorder if the doctor determined that she needed it that badly......So both of my two sisters have had different things wrong with their blood.

Poor older sister was on medicines and weekly visits for it seems like a year and a half.

Hopefully Nene will be ok. I guess that would greatly reduce how much traveling she could do.
    Punkin likes this.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread