Closed Thread
Page 64 of 440 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114164 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

Princess Del Obstreperous LilyBetencourt's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Killah Bee;2908343;
    Hello everyone! Newbie here, but this is my take on this show!

- Love these ladies much more than the OC bimbos. They at least have successful husbands who they like and respect and WANT to be married to, kids they love who seem like good kids overall, and they haven't made racist or disparaging remarks about their clients or co-workers thus far (anyone remember Vicki's comment about her Asian client?). And, with the exception of Ramona (and Alex/Simon on their vacation, I guess), they keep their goodies covered while out in public and their kids do the same. So kudos to them, for that!

- LuAnn doesn't bug me that much. She's a RN, which shows she's got brains to back up her good looks and also shows she's done her fair share of hard work at some point in her life. Plus, she and her hubby do a lot of philanthropy and that's cool. I don't know what's up with her son; I do know a lot of kids go through "clingy" phases and maybe he's in one now. I used to be a teacher and a lot of boys around that age were surprisingly anxious when their moms dropped them off for the day at school. I think it's nice that LuAnn has a good relationship with her niece; I, too, take pride in being the "cool aunt" and doing stuff with my nieces that their parents aren't into, such as going to concerts and hip restaurants. The thing with the driver was a bit , but hey, the guy is technically an employee and she should have the right to be addressed however is most comfortable for her. I'm from the South originally; most people introduce others as "Mr" or "Mrs Lastname" to people who work for them unless the person says, "Just call me Firstname". Her daughter is gonna be a knockout I predict!

- Ramona is ugh. She has a hot husband and darling daughter. I can't knock her work ethic and I think she's setting a good example in that department, but I must say...Mario makes his own money, too. Her lesson about walking out if someone doesn't treat you right just might backfire when he watches the show and sees footage of her grinding against random men.

- Jill seems cool. I like her toughness and no bullsh*t attitude and I admire the way she tries to help others. Plus, watching her and LuAnn cream Ramona on the tennis court was great. Her daughter is either really withdrawn by nature or else just totally disinterested in being on the show. Also, that girl needs a good nutritionist who can get a handle on her weight and issues with arthritis.

-Bethenny. Girl, He's Just Not That Into You. Seriously. Desperation is a stinky cologne. Also, are you trying to pickle those eggs? Quit drinking so much. You're cute, charming (when sober) and successful. Plenty of men would be happy to date you, just not this one. That said, Jason's brutally hot IMO so I can see why she's trying to make it work.

- Alex and Simon are the worst kind of social climbers. At least they admit to it, and it seems to be paying off somewhat, so I can't fault their hustle entirely. Still, watching them try to be suave and impress others with their international "cache" and Eurotrash clothing is a painful sight. And I don't get the constant togetherness. They're spouses, not Siamese twins. They need to fire their respective "stylists", too. Also, I'm pretty sure she said something re: the opera tickets about "getting around the taxes" when they were talking in the limo. I'm sure the IRS would be interested to see the unedited footage of that conversation. By the way, if they do indeed have water damage in the house--someone suggested that a couple pages back and it looks like it to me-- they more than likely have a mold problem, too. That's serious and they'd better address it at once if they ever want to sell that house and move to a more upscale neighborhood. Mold could also explain why their kids look sickly.

This board is great and I'm glad I found it!
    Quite a remarkable assessment! Kudos to you

Your observation on the Social Climbers Afficionados is TOP OF THE LINE and the mold is indeed quite toxic Poor L'enfants

Excellent post, Bee. You have summed-up the whole show, reflecting my thoughts. What I will add is that my husband, who never, ever watches TV nor could he bear to hear the OC wives from the other room, has actually watched this show and enjoyed the people. He is impressed with the kids and has laughed with them.
    Thanks for the great post.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Newbie

Most boys his age want nothing to do with Mom. Seems wierd that he carries on so everytime she leaves the house. He was probably coddled too much and needs to be around boys his own age.
    LuAnn seems to have kind of a tough love approach....even that episode when they got back from the Hamptons and were unpacking and Noel/Noelle whined, "Will you help me???" and Luann was just like "no!" Lol. I think moms like that are kind of cool. And when Jill was talking about letting the dog sleep in her bed, and LuAnn was like, "What does Bobby think of that?" and "It's like with kids, like you if you let them sleep in your bed, they can never sleep alone." I mean, she should definitely spend time with her kids, but she seems to sort of have a "look, I'm not responsible for providing your entertainment" approach. If her son is kind of clingy, then maybe that is her way of providing boundries and trying to toughen him up a little.

The "class" thing with her is annoying. It's not like it was HER driver who dared call her by her first name. It was Bethenny who got the driver, because it sounded like Jason used him a lot and the guy probably hooked them up from time to time and Bethenny had a friendly type of relation with him. She probably would have felt like a jacka$$ telling this guy to please call her "Ms. Frankel." It was Bethenny who gets to make the call on what's appropriate based on her relationship with him, not Luann.

Also, this morning I was standing in the doorway of a big shot senior VP at my company, talking to him while the mail guy brought him an envelope. Know what the VP said? He said, "Thank you, Sir!" I thought, treating the "help" with reverence - how's that for class Luann!
    Last edited by aloevera; 04-10-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Also, this morning I was standing in the doorway of a big shot senior VP at my company, talking to him while the mail guy brought him an envelope. Know what the VP said? He said, "Thank you, Sir!" I thought, treating the "help" with reverence - how's that for class Luann!
    aloevera That's the best thing I've read all morning. Have a great day!

Actually, loving all the snark. Thanks so much for the laughs!
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
    ~ Touchstone; As You Like It

FORT Fogey

Did anyone else notice when Bethenny introduced the Counts forth wife to the driver, he offered a "pleased to meet you" handshake which she shunned?

IMO, the driver was more of a personal friend (who happens to own a car) of Bethenny's bald guy and that is why she introduced him using first names.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I'm of the opinion (and I'm sure it's an unpopular one) that there is way too much familiarity in this country at this point in time. Remember the saying, "Familiarity breeds contempt."? A young man (in his 20s) that used to work with me me addressed an older woman (50s or 60s) called the woman by her first name (without her permission), after obtaining her full name while completing some paperwork....she, bluntly, told him, "Don't call me Delores. You don't know me that well!" To say the least, he was embarrassed ; to say the least, I was tickled and doing the happy dance!! I wanted to high-5 the woman!!

I'm sure he thought twice before addressing people, not within his social range, just any old way from that point forward!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I still say that until this show came about, Alex was a SAHM wearing left over hippie/summer of love type clothing.
    Little Frankie's homemade birthday cake was a great idea! It goes along with the episode where Alex said she was going to make some ice cream.
    She said that her homemade ice cream was better then store bought leaving little Frankie to reply he likes store bought better. Which makes me also think she is a organic/no sugar/vegetarian person.
    The birthday party was an inside as to whom S and A really are. Or were.
    Now that they have this gig, they are trying to use it to be the next "up and coming". All they talk about is "Networking".
    Oh! And Alex did not say she "graduated" from Northwestern (or was it eastern?). She said she went there for theater.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2908801;
    It goes along with the episode where Alex said she was going to make some ice cream.
    She said that her homemade ice cream was better then store bought leaving little Frankie to reply he likes store bought better. Which makes me also think she is a organic/no sugar/vegetarian person.
    I thought when Alex said her ice cream was "better", she may have meant that the ice cream was better for them. Of course if she does make it using organic ingrediets, I can guarantee it would taste better than the store bought!

Actually, this strikes me as condescending and patronizing on the part of your VP. And when it's used for someone "higher up," it's obsequious.

Best used by Hotel Clerks only.

Kao

Not really, shows he treats everyone respectfully regardless of station. People who want to call you by your first name yet want to be addressed as Mr or Mrs generally think you're beneath them anyway ESPECIALLY if it's someone younger that insists on calling someone older by their first name!

And speaking of class, I watched this show for the first time Tuesday and what a lack of class Bethany has. There was absolutely no reason for her to create a scene the way she did, and when Luanne tried to give her a clue by saying "Well, Simon is here and we're going to make him feel welcome, yes?" she made up that phony excuse and walked out. Ugh. I think that whole thing was Alex's fault though because the minute she told Simon that it was Girl's Night he said "Oh, so I should stay home?" which makes me think that even though they enjoy doing a lot of things together, he would have cheerfully stayed home this time. It was Alex who insisted that "no, it's okay, you can come too."

Closed Thread