Closed Thread
Page 56 of 440 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

Bethenny - acronym for "Be The Nanny".When I began watching this show, I couldnt stand Bethenny, mainly because of the way she spoke so fast with that harsh New York accent. But, in her interviews, she says exactly what I am thinking... I love it!!! (not her) She was right when she said there was nothing wrong with renovating but why didnt they mention it? It doesnt take 3 years to put a new floor in your house. They could have had it installed while there were away in St Barts. IMO it seems like Alex and Simon spend their money more as some sort of investment into their future. Their future as wannabe high society folks. If they want their children to speak French so badly, I dont understand why they dont send them to a French-immersion school. Probably cant get in.

Luann - Anyone else think her voice is a little on the deep side? She sounds like a man. I didn't interpret Luann sending her son to summer camp in Switzerland as a boarding school experience at all. It sounds fantastic and you can pick up head lice anywhere. It's not that uncommon. It's just a pain to get rid of because you have to wash everything and "nit pick" the hair to get all the eggs out.

Girls night out......the dynamics are changed when the "spouse" as one of the women tag along. Inviting a guy along as one of the girls is different than dragging the spouse with you. Ramona has issues that run deeper than wanting to spend time with the girls. After the daughter leaves the house for college, Mario will leave, too.

Boarding schools.....I dont think anyone that is not a local in Andover will confuse Andover High School with Phillips Academy. Us west coasters refer to it as Andover because of the location. I dont know anyone that refers to Exeter in NH as Phillips, its just that, Exeter. As far as not referring to them as boarding schools, yes they are what they are but many people have never even heard of these schools. So, when asked where does your child attend school, many dont have a clue that you are referring to a boarding school.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2905794;
    She says it is ok to look at other men, like such a lie.
    OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we give our mates our hearts....and not our eyes??

And, about the "girls night out" issue..... maybe I should have said "womens night out". Definitely, a different event, in my experience.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2905873;
    OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we give our mates our hearts....and not our eyes??

And, about the "girls night out" issue..... maybe I should have said "womens night out". Definitely, a different event, in my experience.
    Oh I don't really have a problem with looking, but I do have a problem with dancing at a singles get-together like she was and as we saw, she was dancing with one of the guys. I don't really worry about them taking her home or anything, I'm sure once she bugs her eyes out at them, they will take off running the other way.

FORT Newbie

Best line of the night goes to Bethenny...

Alex: Well, it's a 3 year project.
    Bethenny: You should get started.

Love it! I love her comments, she's hysterical. "OMG, you have to like work for NASA in order to put this toy together..."

Okay, Alex & Simon and that home environment for kids?? And yet spend thousands of dollars on clothes and a makeup person and a freakin limo to go about 4 blocks?? Not okay. I wonder what the boys' bedrooms look like and if they have to share a room. Have we ever seen their rooms?

And Alex's smug little comment when Ramona threw her totally classless and pathetic hissyfit that Simon showed up..."Well, not everyone has a good marriage."

Um okay Alex, that's NOT why no one wants your weirdo husband around. "Francois, do you remember what dress mommy wore?" Faux french kid: "No." I'd be much more worried had he said yes and described the train - in french.

And sorry Alex, I hate to break it to you, but I think Bethenny will talk to ANYONE who will listen to her. That said, Alex is not really in Bethenny's social circle, or one of her snotty boarding school friends she probably just wants to shut up (like any women that age needs a FRIEND to point out her narrowing time to conceive, what a b*tch) - so Bethenny probably does feel she can let her guard down. Her other friends are most likely alpha girl vultures. Who probably secretly gloat that Bethenny is still single. Alex seems genuinely sympathetic and caring which is nice. I like that Bethenny really does think Alex is a good person.

I think Simon is the one ruining Alex. If Alex would just be herself, a nice mom with two kids, a good friend and a good listener, and just brush her hair, she would be just fine. Going into debt for this ridiculous moron and his dreams of hanging out with Jane Fonda....oy. Was she for real saying "well, we did make eye contact with a few people."

Aw, that's so sad Jill wasn't popular! And now she is like the social queen, I say good for her.

I bet the Count goes to Scores.
    Last edited by aloevera; 04-09-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Well well well...this was quite an episode wasn't it? Having watched this show from the beginning, it's readily apparent that Alex and Simon are the big drawing card....and I wonder if perhaps they intend it that way. Now..I didn't just fall of the turnip truck. I know there are social climbers everywhere and always have been. I live in a city well known for its blue-blooded horsey set folk. Doesn't matter to me...I am a native Lexingtonian and these guys put their pants on one leg at a time just like me....but I'm rambling....ANYWAY...........

I've no doubt A&S want to move up in the social sphere of NYC, but they are portrayed as sort of a caricature....could it be they are making certain the squeaky wheel gets the oil? Alex is in the IMDB listed as some sort of actress in B films....and maybe she did some modeling or something. Simon is a hotel manager and thats it. Frankly folks..he ain't got much going for him. I kind of felt sorry him tagging along with Alex to a girls night. What man in his right mind does that? Well...its PR for them and I wonder if that's exactly what they want.

As for the house...editing is everything isn't it? You can bet your butt the house sequence was filmed and inserted to coincide with that ridiculous trip to the MET. Think about it....except for external views we have seen little of A&S's surroundings. They are always on the bed either individually or with the kids...or in St. Bart's. Even then we saw only the beach (I had nightmares about the swimwear) and a few dining sequences. Perhaps Simon gets a hotel discount for when they travel, but relatively speaking, we've all probably stayed in just as nice accomodations. Anywho...they've probably spent a lot of money to garner the exposure this show bought them. Let's hope their kids don't pay the price as well. And by the way....clean up that damned house. Simon doesn't exactlly look like "Mr. Fixit".

As for Ramona...she would have faired better to keep her pie hole shut. Simon was there and it wasn't Ramona's dinner party. 'Nuff said.

Bethenny...I kind of like her. I think she's barking up the wrong tree with Jason....but again editing is everything. She seems like a gal that calls a pile of crap a pile of crap...and that's fine by me.

Should be interesting to see what the finale brings....and what does that sneaky Ramona have up her dress???? Perhaps a lap dance for Simon!!!
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev;2905259;
    That's not always a bad thing! Like I said, my girlfriends and I usually include at least 1 man in our girls nights. for one, it keeps us from getting too catty and gossipy. But like I said, it's also nice to have a man when we go out to a bar, if only to keep other guys from coming up and trying to hit on someone during the girl's night.

We usually take my friend Adam along, in fact. He LOVES getting invited to girls night, partially because he's so busy that it's nice to get invited out but also because, in his own words, he 'feels like a pimp' when he walks in a restaurant, club or bar with 4-5 girls. Other men will come up and congratulate him for being with so many women while leaving us alone.

Actually, for me it's generally the opposite case-most of my closest friends are men, and I'm the only one fully initiated into the 'boys club'. It generally drives the girlfriends nuts that I always get invited to Guys Night and they're not allowed to come. I remember a bunch of us were going to eat lunch once and we were sitting around my friend's car shop waiting for the last guy to get there so we could leave. He eventually came up with the girl he was dating at the time, at which point all of us groaned and one of the guys said "Man, this was only supposed to be the GUYS." He then proceeded to explain that I didn't count as a girl because I was just one of them.

I don't think having someone of the opposite sex necessarily changes the dynamics-it depends on how close everyone is (certainly my male friends don't censor their conversation or behavior around me). Now Simon was incredibly out of place, I'm not going to deny that, but it's still such bad manners to make him feel uncomfortable once he was already there.
    Especially considering this wasn't even Ramona's party. She was a guest at someone else's home just like Simon.
    She should have let it go and STFU.
    Jill should have told her to pipe down, that she was the one hosting the party, and if Ramona didn't want to be there with Simon, she could always leave.
    Last edited by taffina; 04-09-2008 at 02:31 PM.

FORT Fogey

It really did seem like she was on something. From her antics at the 'singles' party we know she's not a closet Lesbian or anything.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;2905847;
    It doesnt take 3 years to put a new floor in your house. They could have had it installed while there were away in St Barts. IMO it seems like Alex and Simon spend their money more as some sort of investment into their future.
    When you renovate, the floors are the last thing you do.

And a P.S. to Bethenney: No, you can't have it all. And if, by chance, there is an exception to that rule, I doubt you are it. Baby or career... one is going to suffer for the other.
    Last edited by izdatayat; 04-09-2008 at 02:47 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter;2905997;
    Should be interesting to see what the finale brings....and what does that sneaky Ramona have up her dress???? Perhaps a lap dance for Simon!!!
    Now that would be a show I would like to see. I think it would be great to see Simon get his jig on!!!

I don't think they are renovating. I think that is the way they live. Remember, it was Bethany who brought up the whole subject of renovation by asking Alex if they were renovating. And only then did Alex go into the floor story, etc. Izdatayat is absolutely right the floors are the last to be done and in Alex's house it was obvious they hadn't done anything. And I still think it is an apartment rental not a townhouse they own. The backyard had a rusty old swing set and we all remember what the bedroom looks like. I think they are just leeches on society.

Closed Thread