Closed Thread
Page 47 of 440 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

Quote Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd™;2897133;
    This is extraordinary. If I were fired for something unrelated to my job (I think Poohtz might be right - they were just looking for an excuse to can him), I'd be livid and retaining an attorney. Especially when I would not consider Jason to be "on the show" - more like an unwilling victim.

Too bad - I actually think Jason is the only non-douchebag of the bunch.

(Oh, hi, I'm new here ... nice to find a forum where the snark still exists, Lord knows Bravo had the TWOP forum shut down fast enough!!!)

Riot Nrrrd!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Brooke Astor was like Nan Kempner. Neither of them would have ever lowered themselves to be on television. They did their society work and were recognized appropriately. If Brooke would have known that her name was plastered all over the media right before she died, she would have been livid. Real society matrons believe that a lady only has her name in news twice in her life: when she gets married and when she dies. In between, don't do anything you would not want on the front page of the newspaper (for obvious reasons).
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Newbie

i have the name brooke astor many times and wanted to know who that was!

i still don't understand why the count needs to work:

Quote Originally Posted by tictac;2897380;
    The part that cracked me up was when she asked her gay husband to get her a car, or something...*I mean what did she think her options were: horse, donkey, car, cab, bus...)...and he turned for a second and looked at the policeman standing there, then said, oh ok I'll get a cab. LOL! ! It looked like he was considering a ride in the police car! I had to really laugh at that!
    Great! Now I have to watch for that episode again just to see that part. I was trying not to watch this damn show but now I have to. You guys are killing me!

The count works because he is a hard working guy that just happened to born into that family. Europe is full of titles which are for sale because the people who inherited then haven't any money, just the title. Some have property that they can't afford so they sell their titles, sometimes with the property, but most often, they sell to keep their property.
    France has not recognized titles since the Revolution which makes his title just an honorary thing. He is just like any man who works to support his families. He does do good work, though, by trying to finance people and companies in Third World countries to combat poverty.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

Brooke was a socialite and a philanthropist. John Astor was her third husband. He was the son of John Jacob Astor who was killed on the Titanic. He also was the CEO of Newsweek. She was known to support the NYC Public Library and the Metropolitan Museum the most. She was a real lady and very, very proper. She also supported Rockefeller and was well loved there.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana;2892927;
    Welcome Livjack.
    I don't think they know at all.
    Which is what is so...confounding.
    They think they are glamorous, but they're not.
    The truly glamorous... live it, they don't announce it.
    And the wealthiest people I have ever known have never mentioned their extreme wealth, and when asked, will downplay all of it.

The Miami trip is a case in point. Bethenny makes sure she mentions she knows the restaurant owner. Better if that was shown, not told.
    Her emphasis on the BOARDING school friend, not just school friend-was laughable too.
    I went to boarding school. I never refer to it as that.
    Unless I am specifically recounting horrors attached to being at boarding school, when only a little girl.
    It's not really something to brag about and that is what she was doing in her own inimitable way.

My late friend Kenny was the wealthiest person I ever knew. His family didn't have homes-they had compounds (Two that I visited, at least).
    They owned a Raphael and "the other Mona Lisa". That's how I realized he was related to the Royal Family, and big corporate founders here in the U.S.
    Because I happened to read about it in a book. Despite knowing him for years, he had never thought to mention the family castle filled with Renaissance masterpieces.
    And he took the subway.
    It is common practice among the elite to send their high school students to boarding schools as they are very prestigious, offer above average educations and are feeder schools into the Ivy League. Many people are misinformed about boarding schools and believe they are strictly for troubled kids. Please dont think I am insinuating that your boarding school experience was the latter, but many are unaware of the elitist private education in this country.

FORT Regular

Everyone I know who ever went to boarding school was a troubled kid. Either before or after attending, or both, I cannot say.
    There are plenty of prestigious educational opportunities out there without sending your kid away.

In my case, I grew up on the Main Line of Philadelphia. The boarding aspects of the schools were being closed, right and left.
    When I was at college, any alumni of Andover ,Solebury, etc. had parents who were too busy to have their kids around, with the exception of one guy who was from Missouri and it was probably a good thing he was "sent East".

In my case, I was in lower school. A sad experience for every boarder there, I can assure you.

What boarding school in Florida is worth bragging about?

Notice that by Bethenny's own words, she said she "raised herself" and did not have a close family relationship as an adult. I'm not surprised.
    Her father must have travelled a lot. Her mother? weren't there a lot of marriages?
    Last edited by Juliana; 04-06-2008 at 09:15 AM.

FORT Fogey

My parent's used to run with a mix of monied people and their spin is that there is a difference between people from "old" and "new" money. The former are mannered, dignified, and socially responsbile (i.e. give to charities). The latter are brash, arrogant, and self-centered.

I think there is probably some truth to this.

FORT Regular

Well-the ones who worked hard and earned it and grew up with more modest means probably have more that they want, because they felt denied or shut out, earlier in their lives. They have more to prove in a sense.

When you have a lot of money, you don't feel the need to actually prove it, and you want to hold on to the capital in a more responsible manner.

Oddly, recent studies show that there a lot of millionaires who live in relatively modest homes, and are married to the same spouse.
    (The Millionaire Next Door by ??)

I think some of these people must be in debt. I understand that mindset very well too.
    The more money I made, the more I thought I "deserved".
    Now that my circumstances have changed-the less I need to spend. (Inheritance)
    Go figure!

Closed Thread