Closed Thread
Page 440 of 440 FirstFirst ... 340390430431432433434435436437438439440
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 4400

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

  1. #4391
    FORT Fanatic Hobbes07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sunflower field
    Posts
    670

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Daisy, I that's the scene I was talking about. Her skin his seemed splotchy, particularly around the mouth/chin/upper lip area. Maybe she had had a facial recently or something. It kind of reminded me of what Kelly's entire tends to look like in here interviews.

  2. #4392
    FORT Fan Oompaloopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    370

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by SassnSauce;3884784;
    i keep saying you'll need boots and a shovel dealing with jill. otherwise you'll be knee deep in crap.
    Thigh deep, Sass, thigh deep.

    I can't believe how the actions of these "socialites" in public. It's beyond the point of enjoying anymore because you can't understand what is being said - they all yell over each other over really, really stupid stuff.
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

  3. #4393
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    866

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3884986;
    Daisy, I that's the scene I was talking about. Her skin his seemed splotchy, particularly around the mouth/chin/upper lip area. Maybe she had had a facial recently or something. It kind of reminded me of what Kelly's entire tends to look like in here interviews.
    Oh, I must not have noticed. I just liked how natural she looked - not all "done up."

  4. #4394
    Christian,Mom,Teacher mom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Soonerland!!
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Please get your copies of Lu's book out and write in the margin ... "It is exceedingly bad manners to confront someone when an invited guest at a party. Unless the other person has called you a snake and you are a countess on high." (Ramona = bad, Lu = justified.)

    Words to live by.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #4395
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by hajime08;3883903;
    Actually, I like Ramona too!

    Most of the time though, it's really obvious that Ramona is responding to the other women's snarkiness. For example, LuAnn loves to condescend to Ramona, and every time she does, Ramona hits her back with a lil' something. I think Ramona's a super sensitive person, actually.

    One good thing is, she appears to be developing a friendship with Alex. And Alex of all people, is like the one woman who tends NOT to talk trash about others, unless they've done things to warrant it. Notice how Alex's blog was super nice to Ramona about her fashion week disaster! So Alex definitely wouldn't be the type to push Ramona's buttons & incur her passive-aggressive outbursts. A good thing.
    1) I agree with you. Trouble is Ramona often seems either clueless, or as you say, quite quick with the retaliation. It's as if I wonder - what if she used her powers for good?

    2) Maybe Alex will be good for Ramona. God knows somebody needs to be.

  6. #4396
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3883613;
    OMG!! How desperate can she be? What a complete idiot!
    Even in her attempt to defend herself it became more clear that it was her that posted that review by her language....
    I never liked Jill from the beginning but she seemed to have many fans which always puzzled me, I hope people are beginning to realize she is a FAKE bored housewife who "needs to get a hobby"!
    She tried to defend herself? I hadn't thought she or her rather incompetent PR team (or Glawrya) had even admitted to the p*ss-poor job they did.

    My fantasy reality show would be a Big Brother type show with cast members like Jill Zarin, Kate Gosselin, Kelly Bensimon, Heidi Montag, Sherre (RHoA), and all the other narcissistic types all having to live in the same house for a extended period of time....come on CBS...bring it on!
    You get to do the daily blood mop up if that ever airs, not me.

  7. #4397
    Christian,Mom,Teacher mom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Soonerland!!
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Way to try to deflect B's glory from announcing her engagement to your own not-so-private pity party, Lu. Because as we all know, everything must be about Lu or how it affects Lu. Loved how B shut down Lu who demanded an apology and reason for "attacking her and calling her a snake" (1000 years before). B gave her what she wanted, shut her up and she left to go to a private party with one of the bachelors. Ugh.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

  8. #4398
    FORT Fogey candor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portlandia
    Posts
    3,117

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    The first season of this show, Jill was my favorite and Alex and Simon annoyed me. This season, Alex and Simon are my favorites and Jill annoys me. So maybe there is a valid point about editing. Alex and Simon must have been edited pretty harshly that first season because I don't see any of that old pretension this year at all.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

  9. #4399
    FORT Fan rebotco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    374

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by candor;3885286;
    The first season of this show, Jill was my favorite and Alex and Simon annoyed me. This season, Alex and Simon are my favorites and Jill annoys me. So maybe there is a valid point about editing. Alex and Simon must have been edited pretty harshly that first season because I don't see any of that old pretension this year at all.
    I'm sure it's not because of the editing. They can't edit in what people haven't done. They've said and done everything that's been captured on film. I think by now everyone's guardedness is down, they're all more comfortable on camera, and their true-r colors are coming out. Season one, Alex and Simon DID all those pretentious things, and Alex spoke in a completely affected manner. Now, her complete lack of polish is obvious. I've grown up knowing gals like Jill - the word that summarizes them is "phonies" - and I never liked them and I never liked her. Her phoniness was bound to surface and it's emerging more now like a mushroom cloud, vaporizing and smothering everyone and everything around her. She's toxic.

  10. #4400
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    1,329

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity;3884107;
    Ironically, on friendship in the book the author suggests that if something happens to hurt your friendship, you should ask for forgiveness 3 times. If that doesn't work, you need to move on because the sin is on the person who wouldn't accept your apology and you've done all you can. I agree with that. Yet it's not hard to read about the main author (according to font billing size, Jill Zarin) being down right dirty to a friend who tried to apologize/discuss a predicament and was refuted coldly and rudely by Jill 3 times on camera. Interesting. The sin is on Jill. However, now that the book is out and there are book sales to be made, Jill said she now wants forgiveness for not forgiving (yes, confusing, I know). She is saying she can't believe this friend will not accept her happily now that it's convenient for Jill to befriend her again and Ms. Zarin mentions her "hurt" over that...Your book advice says someone in her shoes should move on, Jill. (she asked 3 times and now the sin is on you because you refused her outright tearful begging.) You said "We're done" 3 times. Plus you called her a "moron" in an interview last week for asking why she was on speaker phone. That doesn't show that you really want forgiveness, especially because you also said today in an interview that next year will be better without Bethenny on the show because she sucks the oxygen out of the air when she is in a room. Probably two reasons why she doesn't think you are sincere. Just sayin. How can I follow this advice you write if you yourself think it's bogus and won't follow it or openly treat people not in a way a loving "mom figure" exudes to others?
    This really really annoyed me. That is a real thing from tradition, that speaks to God viewing interpersonal relationships as so important that He won't forgive them until both parties are reconciled. For her to spout that and then ignore it, only to suddenly find the value in tradition when you're hawking a book, is sleazy. And I'm not saying anything more.

    Also, she said in an interview that her daughter is only allowed to fall in love with/or date a certain category of person. I had a hard time with that one too. I don't think that's a loving Jewish mother who should, instead, just want her daughter to be happy and find someone who adores her, works hard, doesn't cheat, doesn't have addictions, and is a great dad and her daughter adores too? What happened to wanting that for your kid instead? But she isn't even allowed to DATE someone like that if he doesn't fit YOUR main goal on what you say will make her life "easier"? For shame.

    The book on bulldozing what your child wants in a mate in order to get what you want in a son-in-law, for example, from Lisa: "Of course, my kids would never let me fix them up -- they're still too young to be desperate enough to have their mother set them up on a blind date. But not to worry ... I'm out there looking any*way. Who said I needed their permission?"

    I hate giving undeserved one star reviews so I had to see for myself if all I read about their "do as I say, not as I do" approach was true as everyone seems to note....because if they actually put together some advice that's untried or they themselves don't even believe in, it knocked the book down a notch. So I did research this.

    Now back to advice: Her dieting overview just isn't healthy, nor does it really address the underlying issues of weight gain since she suggests pouring your drink on the food you don't want to overeat. Not only would most in this economy not see the beauty of that (you COULD also ask the waiter to just box up half in a to go box before it's served), but I can imagine this one when eating out. Don't want to be tempted by the rest of your fries on that big order? Pour your glass of wine on it...money is no matter on what that costs...and let the waiter wipe it up, y'all! Wipe away before it gets on your dress! Zarin lovingly dubs the "empty your glass onto your plate or bowl in a restaurant diet" in the book as "Killing your food to stay thin". I am guessing there won't be a popular diet book to follow this one or waiters across the US will retaliate, as will all the 5 star restaurants who have to clean all those white tablecloths after Zarin's food-killing-eating-out suggestion. Bad manners, unkind to waitstaff, disgusting for fellow tablemates to observe, unhealthy eating advice.

    How to attract and nab a man? Zarin says it's not gonna happen unless you wear bright colors. I kid you not. Give the readers some credit here that they are a notch above peacocks or fish because:

    1. Ms. Zarin, I respectfully beg to differ. Inner beauty should be worked on first since a mean, negative, dirty and spiteful person dressed in hot pink isn't gonna fool anyone. If all you had to do to woo someone was to distract them with bright colors then women should wear glitter and all men would be hypnotized. Silly.
    2. Angelina Jolie wears mostly black. Enough said.

    Some of this stuff simply makes no sense to an educated reader.

    The book is actually very negative though as well. The authors fight amongst each other and use personal stories to illustrate points...all which seem to be laced with martyrdom. Because of this, I don't feel it an appropriate motherly pleasure to read or gift..

    I wanted to find this warm and loving but it seemed more like a doctrine in many cases that isn't loving and could be detrimental on several levels. Not to mention it's been widely reported that it's for show rather than actual advice the authors themselves believe. Too, the one who worked on getting it published billed her name in larger font size on the book than her mom's name which was kind of supposed to be advice mainly from her mom, Gloria. Although the book denotes advice from all 3 authors, Zarin notes that it is garnered from all her mom taught her and her sister and then all the writing was compiled and put together by Zarin's sister, the third author. I would have expected her mom's name to be billed largest, or her sister's because of this, yet the name "Jill Zarin" is about 3-4 times the size of mom or sister on the book cover...Ah well...I guess this book isn't meant to be seen as an equal effort by the 3 writers.

    Or someone just feels a bit more "special".

    I'd say be leery and don't make your daughter marry a rich guy she isn't attracted to in spite of this advice. If you marry for money, you earn every penny of it because it won't be easy in any other way other than financially. And learning to eat healthy could be a better skill than wasting wine and the half of steak left on your plate. Nor is it very classy to do that practice in public or at dinner parties. And don't put out a book and publicly do everything important in an opposite fashion than you preach.

    Now there's some advice backatcha. :-)

    Also, don't look for insights into Zarin's show in any way herein or the public drama we've seen or heard about. It's not here. The book concentrates on the 3 author's experiences not what you see occuring now.

    The book price was cut more than 50% after one day (and this is a hardback cover too) after the advance reviews in the papers were out and the book was actually found prior to it's release in the discount bookstores and now the publisher has dumped what they are already forseeing as an "overstock" of what they printed on the Overstock website. I looked and it is indeed on the Overstock website which is normal to go there after the book has been out for months--but when it happens 3 days after it's release, while the authors are still doing publicity book tours, the price is sure to go down more---I'd advise waiting if price matters in this economy since the publisher is already expecting to have a large overstock from it's first printing by the looks of dumping it there after 3 days. I think readers have a bit more clarity than was initially expected into this being filler material rather than eye-opening and believable, I'm sorry to say and that's the REAL secret.
    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


    Report this | Permalink
    Comment Comments (116)



    136 of 148 people found the following review helpful:
    1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy! Not happy!, April 15, 2010
    By scott89119 "scott89119" (Whittier, CA) - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Secrets of a Jewish Mother: Real Advice, Real Stories, Real Love (Hardcover)
    Secrets of a Jewish Mother is ostensibly a collection of warm fuzzies about life, love, and friendship from two generations of a Jewish family. The entire reason for its having been written in the first place, however, is to satisfy the ego of Jill Zarin, currently on the cast of the Real Housewives of New York City. Every week we see our beloved author constantly degrade and demean former friends, turn up her nose at the lower classes, and in general act like an entitled snit. Yet we are supposed to listen to what she says, even though it comes from quite a disingenuous source.

    Fortunately the book never tries to be anything but what it is, a trite hodgepodge of anecdotes that anyone over 13 should have learned simply by being a member of society. There is nothing new here, no deep psychoanalysis, no revelatory theories about what makes people tick, nothing that you couldn't glean from a few hours watching Lifetime. Then again, with Jill Zarin on the cover did you expect anything more than banal, uninspiring melodrama? Get a hobby.[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.