Closed Thread
Page 437 of 440 FirstFirst ... 337387427428429430431432433434435436437438439440 LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 4400

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

  1. #4361
    FORT Fogey princess07's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,566

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3883613;
    OMG!! How desperate can she be? What a complete idiot!
    Even in her attempt to defend herself it became more clear that it was her that posted that review by her language....
    I never liked Jill from the beginning but she seemed to have many fans which always puzzled me, I hope people are beginning to realize she is a FAKE bored housewife who "needs to get a hobby"!

    My fantasy reality show would be a Big Brother type show with cast members like Jill Zarin, Kate Gosselin, Kelly Bensimon, Heidi Montag, Sherre (RHoA), and all the other narcissistic types all having to live in the same house for a extended period of time....come on CBS...bring it on!
    Man, that would be a good show to watch.

  2. #4362
    FORT Fogey straycat80's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    872

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    [QUOTE=Bunny555;3883924;]I'm really looking forward to next week's show. I can't imagine what Alex could have possibly done to set Jill off like that.

    Yeah the previews looked really intense! Can't wait to see what happened.
    Kelly and Alex forgot to put their pants on last night, hope they didn't bend over!
    It was uncomfortable watching Jill congratulate Bethenny last night. I think Bethenny has finally realised she doesn't need a friend like Jill anymore.
    The new housewife needs a man. Badly.

  3. #4363
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    From Amazon's Jill Zarin board: Copy and paste this link, or read below. Very interesting assessment by a well known Amazon poster.
    Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Secrets of a Jewish Mother: Real Advice, Real Stories, Real Love

    336 of 360 people found the following review helpful:
    1.0 out of 5 stars What I expected to be warm and fuzzy was cold and calculating, April 15, 2010
    By A. Chandler "ArtistAlana" (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
    (#1 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME) (VINE VOICE)
    This review is from: Secrets of a Jewish Mother: Real Advice, Real Stories, Real Love (Hardcover)
    Update: much has happened after I wrote this review. As you will see in my comments section under my review, someone going by the name of Susan Saunders threatened to take my pet because of the bad review and also in a threatening email. Since then, it was uncovered by others that this reviewer was actually Jill Shapiro Zarin herself and she then, coincidentally, removed the 5 star review(s) she wrote for the book. She changed her profile name but forgot to change her personal information in her wish list mentioning that she is the very Jill who authored the book with birthday November 30th (she just changed her birthday today on her Facebook I am told) in NY NY mom of Ally, wife to Bobby and added family member David Zarin. (There's more damaging info in my next update, below.) So I now know I was "allegedly" threatened by the author. After this, someone else researched any full name of the five star reviewers and you can see in their comments sections most were determined to be relatives and close personal friends via family pictures on the internet etc, (update: many were deleted after I wrote that sentence.) In all of my years of reviewing, I have never seen this happen or been threatened, much less by an author.

    Fortunately, although the review was erased to try to cover this, there is still proof of this. Look in my "comments" section under this review (this won't display on an iPhone, you can only see the comments section at the bottom of my review on a computer.) and you will find the comments by Susan Saunders that are hidden as "unhelpful" but you can click on the comment to open it. Then click on that screen name and it shows both things she reviewed which, coincidentally, is the Real Housewives dvd set which she reviewed back in 2008 (this profile is not something new just created by a "crazy fan", unless they knew 2 years ago she was writing a book) where she said Jill Zarin was the only reason she watched the show and they'd better keep her on it, and you can also see where she reviewed this book the day of its release then erased the review after all this came out and she was busted. Interestingly, the only 2 things she ever reviewed. Trying to erase the evidence, did not erase this, fortunately.

    Another update: The website Reality Tea, one of the many reporting what happened, just uncovered a screen shot showing that this account has Bobby Zarin's name on it and was created in 2001 or sooner due to gifts added on the wishlist at that time, long before anyone in the public knew the name Jill Zarin so no, this is not a crazy fan who created a fake profile to frame Jill unless they are a psychic who knew 9 years ago she'd write a book.

    Now then, back to the original review, read the comments under this review for the full details on "Amazongate":

    I assure you I went into this with an unbiased review. I did my research and read cover to cover.

    First, the relationships chapter basically relates that one should settle...IF he has money. Seriously??? Zarin, who is proud to admit she bought a SIXTEEN THOUSAND DOLLAR purse last year shares this advice gem on a happy marriage in the book: "A man who controls the purse strings will ruin your chance of happiness." (...well especially if you shop for 16-thousand-dollar purses.)

    Ironically, on friendship in the book the author suggests that if something happens to hurt your friendship, you should ask for forgiveness 3 times. If that doesn't work, you need to move on because the sin is on the person who wouldn't accept your apology and you've done all you can. I agree with that. Yet it's not hard to read about the main author (according to font billing size, Jill Zarin) being down right dirty to a friend who tried to apologize/discuss a predicament and was refuted coldly and rudely by Jill 3 times on camera. Interesting. The sin is on Jill. However, now that the book is out and there are book sales to be made, Jill said she now wants forgiveness for not forgiving (yes, confusing, I know). She is saying she can't believe this friend will not accept her happily now that it's convenient for Jill to befriend her again and Ms. Zarin mentions her "hurt" over that...Your book advice says someone in her shoes should move on, Jill. (she asked 3 times and now the sin is on you because you refused her outright tearful begging.) You said "We're done" 3 times. Plus you called her a "moron" in an interview last week for asking why she was on speaker phone. That doesn't show that you really want forgiveness, especially because you also said today in an interview that next year will be better without Bethenny on the show because she sucks the oxygen out of the air when she is in a room. Probably two reasons why she doesn't think you are sincere. Just sayin. How can I follow this advice you write if you yourself think it's bogus and won't follow it or openly treat people not in a way a loving "mom figure" exudes to others?

    Also, she said in an interview that her daughter is only allowed to fall in love with/or date a certain category of person. I had a hard time with that one too. I don't think that's a loving Jewish mother who should, instead, just want her daughter to be happy and find someone who adores her, works hard, doesn't cheat, doesn't have addictions, and is a great dad and her daughter adores too? What happened to wanting that for your kid instead? But she isn't even allowed to DATE someone like that if he doesn't fit YOUR main goal on what you say will make her life "easier"? For shame.

    The book on bulldozing what your child wants in a mate in order to get what you want in a son-in-law, for example, from Lisa: "Of course, my kids would never let me fix them up -- they're still too young to be desperate enough to have their mother set them up on a blind date. But not to worry ... I'm out there looking any*way. Who said I needed their permission?"

    I hate giving undeserved one star reviews so I had to see for myself if all I read about their "do as I say, not as I do" approach was true as everyone seems to note....because if they actually put together some advice that's untried or they themselves don't even believe in, it knocked the book down a notch. So I did research this.

    Now back to advice: Her dieting overview just isn't healthy, nor does it really address the underlying issues of weight gain since she suggests pouring your drink on the food you don't want to overeat. Not only would most in this economy not see the beauty of that (you COULD also ask the waiter to just box up half in a to go box before it's served), but I can imagine this one when eating out. Don't want to be tempted by the rest of your fries on that big order? Pour your glass of wine on it...money is no matter on what that costs...and let the waiter wipe it up, y'all! Wipe away before it gets on your dress! Zarin lovingly dubs the "empty your glass onto your plate or bowl in a restaurant diet" in the book as "Killing your food to stay thin". I am guessing there won't be a popular diet book to follow this one or waiters across the US will retaliate, as will all the 5 star restaurants who have to clean all those white tablecloths after Zarin's food-killing-eating-out suggestion. Bad manners, unkind to waitstaff, disgusting for fellow tablemates to observe, unhealthy eating advice.

    How to attract and nab a man? Zarin says it's not gonna happen unless you wear bright colors. I kid you not. Give the readers some credit here that they are a notch above peacocks or fish because:

    1. Ms. Zarin, I respectfully beg to differ. Inner beauty should be worked on first since a mean, negative, dirty and spiteful person dressed in hot pink isn't gonna fool anyone. If all you had to do to woo someone was to distract them with bright colors then women should wear glitter and all men would be hypnotized. Silly.
    2. Angelina Jolie wears mostly black. Enough said.

    Some of this stuff simply makes no sense to an educated reader.

    The book is actually very negative though as well. The authors fight amongst each other and use personal stories to illustrate points...all which seem to be laced with martyrdom. Because of this, I don't feel it an appropriate motherly pleasure to read or gift..

    I wanted to find this warm and loving but it seemed more like a doctrine in many cases that isn't loving and could be detrimental on several levels. Not to mention it's been widely reported that it's for show rather than actual advice the authors themselves believe. Too, the one who worked on getting it published billed her name in larger font size on the book than her mom's name which was kind of supposed to be advice mainly from her mom, Gloria. Although the book denotes advice from all 3 authors, Zarin notes that it is garnered from all her mom taught her and her sister and then all the writing was compiled and put together by Zarin's sister, the third author. I would have expected her mom's name to be billed largest, or her sister's because of this, yet the name "Jill Zarin" is about 3-4 times the size of mom or sister on the book cover...Ah well...I guess this book isn't meant to be seen as an equal effort by the 3 writers.

    Or someone just feels a bit more "special".

    I'd say be leery and don't make your daughter marry a rich guy she isn't attracted to in spite of this advice. If you marry for money, you earn every penny of it because it won't be easy in any other way other than financially. And learning to eat healthy could be a better skill than wasting wine and the half of steak left on your plate. Nor is it very classy to do that practice in public or at dinner parties. And don't put out a book and publicly do everything important in an opposite fashion than you preach.

    Now there's some advice backatcha. :-)

    Also, don't look for insights into Zarin's show in any way herein or the public drama we've seen or heard about. It's not here. The book concentrates on the 3 author's experiences not what you see occuring now.

    The book price was cut more than 50% after one day (and this is a hardback cover too) after the advance reviews in the papers were out and the book was actually found prior to it's release in the discount bookstores and now the publisher has dumped what they are already forseeing as an "overstock" of what they printed on the Overstock website. I looked and it is indeed on the Overstock website which is normal to go there after the book has been out for months--but when it happens 3 days after it's release, while the authors are still doing publicity book tours, the price is sure to go down more---I'd advise waiting if price matters in this economy since the publisher is already expecting to have a large overstock from it's first printing by the looks of dumping it there after 3 days. I think readers have a bit more clarity than was initially expected into this being filler material rather than eye-opening and believable, I'm sorry to say and that's the REAL secret.
    Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No


    Report this | Permalink
    Comment Comments (116)



    136 of 148 people found the following review helpful:
    1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy! Not happy!, April 15, 2010
    By scott89119 "scott89119" (Whittier, CA) - See all my reviews
    This review is from: Secrets of a Jewish Mother: Real Advice, Real Stories, Real Love (Hardcover)
    Secrets of a Jewish Mother is ostensibly a collection of warm fuzzies about life, love, and friendship from two generations of a Jewish family. The entire reason for its having been written in the first place, however, is to satisfy the ego of Jill Zarin, currently on the cast of the Real Housewives of New York City. Every week we see our beloved author constantly degrade and demean former friends, turn up her nose at the lower classes, and in general act like an entitled snit. Yet we are supposed to listen to what she says, even though it comes from quite a disingenuous source.

    Fortunately the book never tries to be anything but what it is, a trite hodgepodge of anecdotes that anyone over 13 should have learned simply by being a member of society. There is nothing new here, no deep psychoanalysis, no revelatory theories about what makes people tick, nothing that you couldn't glean from a few hours watching Lifetime. Then again, with Jill Zarin on the cover did you expect anything more than banal, uninspiring melodrama? Get a hobby.

  4. #4364
    Empirical Guru! Peekaboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Triangle North Carolina
    Posts
    929

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by daiseyo;3878475;
    I never said Bethenny didn't care, nor make efforts (For the record, I think she did), so I don't get you connecting that with me posting Bobby is sweet. I think he is. When Mario and Jill got into it last season, Bobby was gracious. Many other times, too. Seems to be a "good guy" to me.
    Maybe I should have said that he is not that great because he is an enabler (Gloria too) because he comes across as a pushover, albeit, nice. He treats Jill as a victim so she because a victim. He saves Jill when she misbehaves. Maybe he should allegorically spank her bottom sometimes!

    Bobby should have said enough is a enough at the Gotham party. He should have made her snap out of her bad-stinky behavior and go over to Bethenny by herself.
    Peekaboo...I see you!

  5. #4365
    Fort fan Shaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East of the Mississippi
    Posts
    44

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Drama aside, I just have to say how sexy Mario is especially when speaking Italian. Who knew!

    I love Simon's commentary on the Bravo Blog.

    Bobby is a sweetheart.

    I like the men on this show.

  6. #4366
    FORT Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington, D.C. area
    Posts
    674

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Most of these women seem to lack the ability to know when NOT to speak. You do not have to verbalize every thought that wafts into your brain.

    Possibly the producers encourage them to do the opposite because of the explosive scenes that result. It's exhausting watching this show.

  7. #4367
    KK4
    KK4 is offline
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    151

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Last nights episode is not up yet on Bravo. Is there anywhere else I can see it?

  8. #4368
    FORT Fanatic Hobbes07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sunflower field
    Posts
    670

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by harleyswife;3883870;
    Awww! don't pick on Ginger, she's just an innocent animal. There are plenty of other "bitches" to pick on!

    I'm not a fan of little dogs, I prefer big dogs, but I do think Ginger has pretty coloring. As far as being 'cute' 'eh...her snippy personality makes her....well she is clearly Jill's 'bitch'.

    Okay, when Luann, Sonja, and Kelly were at the restaurant sitting at the bar, Luann said something to Kelly that was clearly a condescending dig....I mean, I don't even know what provoked it. Can someone give me the cliff notes version? Does that women only know how to speak to people in a condescending manner? Does she only know how to give digs to people??

    Bethenny looked beautiful at that party at the end of the show. She was just glowing (for two obvious reasons)!! Jill was so fake when she walked up to Bethenny to congratulate her, it would have just been better for her to just either not say anything or walk up to her say 'congratulations, I wish you well' and leave. She went over board with her fake happiness for them. Bethenny was obviously not handling it well and I don't blame her. Jill doesn't need Bobby as her support to say congratulations!!

    Then of course there's Luann who says congratulations but then just has to get Bethenny to apologize for how she behaved at that fashion show (in other words turn Bethenny's engagement announcement around and make it about Luann). I was glad Bethenny owned it, apologized, and dropped it.

    I LOL'd when Kelly called Jason over with Luann and Jill there. One moment where Kelly's cluelessness pays off!

    I like the friendship that is forming between Alex and Bethenny. I hope they are able to make it stick.

  9. #4369
    FORT Fogey KatesMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Motor City
    Posts
    2,232

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;3884284;

    I'm not a fan of little dogs, I prefer big dogs, but I do think Ginger has pretty coloring. As far as being 'cute' 'eh...her snippy personality makes her....well she is clearly Jill's 'bitch'.

    Okay, when Luann, Sonja, and Kelly were at the restaurant sitting at the bar, Luann said something to Kelly that was clearly a condescending dig....I mean, I don't even know what provoked it. Can someone give me the cliff notes version? Does that women only know how to speak to people in a condescending manner? Does she only know how to give digs to people??

    Bethenny looked beautiful at that party at the end of the show. She was just glowing (for two obvious reasons)!! Jill was so fake when she walked up to Bethenny to congratulate her, it would have just been better for her to just either not say anything or walk up to her say 'congratulations, I wish you well' and leave. She went over board with her fake happiness for them. Bethenny was obviously not handling it well and I don't blame her. Jill doesn't need Bobby as her support to say congratulations!!

    Then of course there's Luann who says congratulations but then just has to get Bethenny to apologize for how she behaved at that fashion show (in other words turn Bethenny's engagement announcement around and make it about Luann). I was glad Bethenny owned it, apologized, and dropped it.

    I LOL'd when Kelly called Jason over with Luann and Jill there. One moment where Kelly's cluelessness pays off!

    I like the friendship that is forming between Alex and Bethenny. I hope they are able to make it stick.
    Are you talking about when she called Kelly a child? The jist of it was that Kelly wants to get married again because she wants to have more kids. The other two were very surprised by that. Kelly said she wants more kids because she loves kids. That's when LuAnn made the comment about - that's because you are a child!

  10. #4370
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,113

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom;3884307;
    Are you talking about when she called Kelly a child? The jist of it was that Kelly wants to get married again because she wants to have more kids. The other two were very surprised by that. Kelly said she wants more kids because she loves kids. That's when LuAnn made the comment about - that's because you are a child!
    I thought, however that Louann made that comment to Kelly inan endearing way. She was talking about how Kelly is really quite innocent and childlike - polar opposite to those who've been hardened by the divorce experience. I didn't think LouAnn's comments were meant to be mean spirited, at all, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.