Closed Thread
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

Quote Originally Posted by 3Maltese;3387614;
    Is there anyone on the planet would will buy this book? I don't even want to see a free preview.
    I'd buy a book on parenting from Michael Jackson before I bought a book on manners from this wanna-be!

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3387301;
    I have this theory that Rosie is going to go mad some night and butcher "La Contessa) with the French Chef's knife. She will be found not guilty when all of us viewers band together and appear as character witnesses for her and her own daughter Victoria condemns her for being a "Fakir" and a bully. It will also come out during the trial that LuAnnus fed the hamster to the fish.
    OMG!!!! You're killin' me!!

On her blog the countess lets us know that she is in a position of authority due to her title. Gag

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by grincognito;3388045;
    On her blog the countess lets us know that she is in a position of authority due to her title. Gag
    I think LuAnne is HI-sterical!!!! And I love her for it! Go LuAnne!

Oh, and, "Silex" = too good. Kudos to whoever came up with that term of endearment!

A few (more) random thoughts about Alex & Simon (they really, REALLY bug me): I was never ever under the impression that they have money. There are people - at least in NYC, which is the only place I ever see people - who look like they have money but don't, and there are people who look like they have money and they do, and there are people who don't look like they have money but they do, and there are people who want you to think they have money but they clearly don't, and I'm pretty good at discerning the difference.

Alex & Simon are in the last category - people who want you to think they have money but they clearly don't. How do I know this? Number one, social climbers in NYC live in Manhattan, period. They don't live anywhere else and they don't admit to coming from anywhere else. If they can't afford to live in Manhattan, they can't be social climbers. For the same money that Alex & Simon spent on their house, they could have bought a co-op in Manhattan, except co-ops require large (sometimes 50%) down payments and substantial assets, which Alex & Simon couldn't do and don't have, so they had to buy outside Manhattan.

Also, there's some sort of something about the jewelry that wealthy women wear - even nouveau riche women. Alex wears no jewelry at all, whatsoever (except those ridiculous earrings Simon bought her for her birthday Season 1). She doesn't even wear a stylish wristwatch - hers has a thin reddish leather band like I had when I was 13 (and that was literally before Alex was born).

I've read all sorts of guesses on boards about how much Simon earns. My guess is his salary is $160K, tops, if that much. That's an okay salary in NYC - you can possibly have some disposable income on that salary, but you're not making megabucks and it would be hard to have become wealthy in just a couple of years earning that salary. According to Alex' blog on Huffington Post, before she worked for Victoria's Secret, she earned less than 1/16th of what Simon earned in a year - she had done a couple of movies (???) and some stage work (???), so what could she have earned, scale? Maybe $10,000, tops? So there's 1/16th of Simon's salary.

Why can't they just be real instead of revolting?

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Wait...they don't live in Manhattan? Where do they live?
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

They live in Brooklyn. And in Boerum Hill, which is not the nicest part of Bklyn. A lot of people who have money are now moving out of Manhattan and finding nice houses in the Park Slope section. I doubt Silex could afford Park Slope.

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

I see....I just assumed they lived in Manhattan. Where do the rest live? (My first season...thanks!)
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3388206;
    I see....I just assumed they lived in Manhattan. Where do the rest live? (My first season...thanks!)
    Jill = upper east side + hamptons
    Kelly = downtown (by SoHo I think) + Hamptons
    Silex = Brooklyn

Not sure about the others. Jill's and Kelly's NYC locations are prime real estate. They ARE rich to live there. They aren't the richest of the rich but they do alright to be where they are at.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJuls;3388206;
    The others - LuAnn & Bethenny - also live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

Closed Thread