Closed Thread
Page 16 of 440 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 4400
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

  1. #151
    FORT Fan tictac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;2857177;
    Who the hell do they think they are? Did either of them discover a cure for cancer? No! He manages a hotel! Freaks!(With bad teeth) Very European!

    Watching them get a pedicure and the close up shot of Simons toenails being trimmed almost knocked me out of the chair. I don't EVER want to see his toenails again. :nono

  2. #152
    FORT Fan
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    249

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    ok, on the name thing i was just going to let it pass untill so many people commented on it, and i just have to say something...my parents gave me an unusual name, just like all of you who gave your kids unusual names(by generaly accepted american standards) they thought they were being clever, cute, current or different. however growing up it was not all that great and when i went away to college i began using my middle name and have ever since...you can all be as cosmopolitan and new age as you like but untill you personally have lived through it you have no idea what you are talking about...since the name thing is personal for me i have paid attention to all the human interest stories, business stories and educational stories asociated with having a different name....all the experts agree, you are putting your children at a disavantage by doing this...H.R. people make snap decisions on wheather to interview a person by the name, teachers sterotype children by names, even loan officers are swayed by names....who was the last captian of the football or basketball team that was named franscois....do you think we will have a president named fransois...why would you want to give any child one strike against him or her from the get go...you say nyc is different, maybe in the most private of schools, but what about the public schools (butt kicking time)...and what if he grows up and moves to texas...a persons name is one of the single most important things, it sets the tone for who and what people think of him...what do you think of when someones name is bubba, this is a legal name in the south, i bet you new yorkers hate it, would you hire bubba to work in the fashion industry...how many of your friends have weird names, not many i bet, thats because the ones who did dont use them, where are all the moonbeams, and sunshines of the 60s and 70s...so unless you are a rich celeb and can afford to name your child apple because they will probably never have to work anyway, take the advice of someone who has been there, just use normal names...and i dont think jill was kidding or trying to knock down alex, i think (judging by her low class ny accent) that she and many other nyers feel the same way...ok, now you can rip me apart, ive said what i think and im sticking by it...
    Last edited by jaymes4u; 03-20-2008 at 03:58 PM.

  3. #153
    Strike A Pose Jptopmodel8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York
    Age
    24
    Posts
    697

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by jaymes4u;2857313;
    ok, on the name thing i was just going to let it pass untill so many people commented on it, and i just have to say something...my parents gave me an unusual name, just like all of you who gave your kids unusual names(by generaly accepted american standards) they thought they were being clever, cute, current or different. however growing up it was not all that great and when i went away to college i began using my middle name and have ever since...you can all be as cosmopolitan and new age as you like but untill you personally have lived through it you have no idea what you are talking about...since the name thing is personal for me i have paid attention to all the human interest stories, business stories and educational stories asociated with having a different name....all the experts agree, you are putting your children at a disavantage by doing this...H.R. people make snap decisions on wheather to interview a person by the name, teachers sterotype children by names, even loan officers are swayed by names....who was the last captian of the football or basketball team that was named franscois....do you think we will have a president named fransois...why would you want to give any child one strike against him or her from the get go...you say nyc is different, maybe in the most private of schools, but what about the public schools (butt kicking time)...and what if he grows up and moves to texas...a persons name is one of the single most important things, it sets the tone for who and what people think of him...what do you think of when someones name is bubba, this is a legal name in the south, i bet you new yorkers hate it, would you hire bubba to work in the fashion industry...how many of your friends have weird names, not many i bet, thats because the ones who did dont use them, where are all the moonbeams, and sunshines of the 60s and 70s...so unless you are a rich celeb and can afford to name your child apple because they will probably never have to work anyway, take the advice of someone who has been there, just use normal names...and i dont think jill was kidding or trying to knock down alex, i think (judging by her low class ny accent) that she and many other nyers feel the same way...ok, now you can rip me apart, ive said what i think and im sticking by it...
    you hit the nail on the head....this answer is pefect....personally I love the names Alex gave to her kids...its so unique and beautiful and no dout they would be handsome youngmen; however this is reality and we live in a very very very grim reality.....people are stooping so low that they judge people on names...[mod edit]....Tyra did a segment on her show about names and their were 5 little kidds between 9 and 4 and they were all different ethnicities...then their was a panel of grown ups and they were given a name with out seeing the child and they had to say what comes to mind when you hear that name....I would say the responses those panels made was just crucial....but some of the things they said were true the first thing someone is judged on is their name then their race....one reason why I dislike the US.
    Last edited by Mariner; 03-21-2008 at 01:47 AM.
    Think Before You Act...."We Were Here All Together Yesterday" Stole Stole Stole

  4. #154
    FORT Fogey tvaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cypress,California
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    I don't think that anyone has judged the kids because of their names. Their parents are pretentious so they gave the boys fancy, schmancy names. Nothing wrong with unique names but most people do have nick names or some shorter version. Alex is going to hate it when the other kids start calling her boys Frannie and Yo-yo!

  5. #155
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    North of Reality
    Posts
    2,365

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;2857914;
    I don't think that anyone has judged the kids because of their names. Their parents are pretentious so they gave the boys fancy, schmancy names. Nothing wrong with unique names but most people do have nick names or some shorter version. Alex is going to hate it when the other kids start calling her boys Frannie and Yo-yo!
    Asians have American sounding names for when they are in America.

  6. #156
    FORT Fan tictac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2858457;
    Asians have American sounding names for when they are in America.

    You know, I have personally run into this. I met several Joe's and Tony's who were new to America and I KNOW in their homes, where they did not speak English, they did not use this name. I thought I was the only one who noticed this.

  7. #157
    FORT Fan tictac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Quote Originally Posted by jaymes4u;2857313;
    take the advice of someone who has been there, just use normal names...and i dont think jill was kidding or trying to knock down alex, i think (judging by her low class ny accent) that she and many other nyers feel the same way...ok, now you can rip me apart, ive said what i think and im sticking by it...

    I am not sure I agree with everything you said but I certainly would not rip you apart for any of it. It's your opinion. No one else should either. I agree that a good classic name is best but I don't really think that the names Alex chose are that off base or strange because I run into people who name their children after THINGS and brands! (Tiffany, Chanel and it gets much worse, some are phonetic inventions). Their pretentiousness is what puts a spin on it. If they were not so insecure about who they are it would not be a big deal IMO. Jill's accent is not really low class either. If you notice, her grammar is fine and she speaks intelligently. I guess everyone sees things differently though.


    PS I actually met a Bubba!!! Just a month ago. I personally don't react to names and I am a New Yorker. I didn't assume anything about him.

  8. #158
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6,068

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    I, too, am a New Yorker, without a NY accent, who often wishes I had a more unique name. I think it speaks more to teaching people courtesy and kindness to others than it does to unusual names. I don't react to a name like Bubba or to some of the unsual names African Americans use. In upper class society, children are often given family surnames as first names.

    After all, we have had U.S. Presidents named Ulysses, Rutherford, Franklin, Millard, and Grover, to name a few.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  9. #159
    Christian,Mom,Teacher mom2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Soonerland!!
    Posts
    4,522

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    Kids' names: No matter what the parents intended, their names will be shortened to Frank(ie) and John(ny). That's just what other kids will do naturally, and the owner of the names will allow it to get along.

    Alex's dress: One dress she tries on I've named the "A** dress", because the lines all come to a critical point on the body and that's all I can see now.

    Jill: Funny. She has the countess with her, and is amusing to watch at functions.

    Ramona: Her behavior toward her husband said it all to me. Classless.

    Countess: a bit prideful, but one of the more sane ones here.

    Bethenny: Get over the boyfriend, but fun to hear her opinion of others.

    Husbands: Jill needs to quit pushing her daughter and new hubby together. That only makes them feel awkward. Ramona's husband needs to grow some and not allow the unacceptable behavior she has toward him when she's mad. Countess: not enough information, seems okay.

    Kids: Ramona's girl needs to have some fun instead of parenting her mother's choice of clothes. Francois and Johann are too young, get used to nicknames! Countess needs to let the kids be responsible for their own rooms instead of the housekeeper.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #160
    FORT Fan Susan Elizabeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alpine, CA
    Posts
    313

    Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

    I am very pleased to see that a majority of us find these women superficial, noveau riche, and not at all representative of "old New York money." I read an article online from the "New York Post" concerning some comments made by "The Real Doyennes of New York City," after a private screening of the premier episode, and the opinions of the attendees were universal in their disgust and repulsion at the way Bravo has chosen to represent them. Real class does not need a reality television show to edify them.

Closed Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.