Closed Thread
Page 15 of 440 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Real Housewives of New York City

FORT Fogey

Re: The Real Housewives of New York City

I've decided that the cast Bethanny on this show to be the voice of the audience. Every time I hear her in the preview for next week say that Alex uses pretentiousness to cover up insecurity, I both laugh and cheer. She's right. She's right about most of her comments on the other women.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2856802;
    I've decided that the cast Bethanny on this show to be the voice of the audience. Every time I hear her in the preview for next week say that Alex uses pretentiousness to cover up insecurity, I both laugh and cheer. She's right. She's right about most of her comments on the other women.

You are so right. Bethanny is so on the money. I think she is really gorgeous and intelligent too. I wish she had a man who could appreciate that. I don't get his hesitation to settle down with her! Does he think he can do better???? WTF!!!!! She is beautiful, smart and she COOKS!!!!!! How many women come with all that in one package???? Geesh.

Now besides being rich, what does he have? He's short, he is bald for some reason (I think he shaves his shiny head) and he is introverted and shy so we have no idea if he has a personality or not. He should be on his knees thanking his maker that a woman like her even looks at him. She will earn her own money in no time and doesn't need his!

Quote Originally Posted by Aranea;2855758;
    I admit that I haven't watched the past couple episodes, but who on the show was making fun of the kids' names? Adults making fun of kids is pathetic. Honestly, given the fact that NYC is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, I'm surprised that anyone living there would even blink upon hearing a name like Johann or Francois.
    I think you are correct about no one blinking and eye at these names. There is nothing wrong with either of them. I don't think anyone was really ridiculing them either but there were some jokes about the fact that neither parent is French and they picked French names. Alex and Simon WANT so badly to be European because I think they associate that with class. Whatever, it's an annoying but harmless obsession don't you think? I disagree with Jill's comment that Alex needs a nickname for the children because no other kids will be able to say the name. I have encountered some very original names of students in my child's NYC school! Everyone respects names these days and does everything possible to use them correctly and I have not seen the teasing that I grew up with. Today kids hack your face book and threaten your life instead. But that is another topic altogether!

FORT Fogey

I think that Jill was making fun of her kids names as a way to knock Alex back to earth. She is pretentious, she comes across that way, and in doing so in that circle, makes herself look like a wannabe. Jill was just knocking her down to size.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie;2855609;

The other kid I'm feelings sorry for is crazy eyed Ramona's daughter, Avery. The kid seems bright and mom is pushing her into show business. She really seems like she would rather just go to school and thinks that is a better path to success. Much more levelheaded than her mom will ever be.

Ramona has ISSUES!!!! WOW! She hates Jill for some suspicious reason! And her 12 (?) year old daughter is already worrying about failed marriages and relationships. Now don't get me wrong, this is a refreshing change from the OC marry for money policy but it's a tiny bit over the top. I would not project my concerns on my child this way even though the underlining lesson of learning to be independent is an excellent one. I guess Ramona feels she can be loud and obnoxious because if Mario walks out the door she can close it behind him and make her maintenance payment and mortgages with no trouble. Good for her but let the little girl have little girl thoughts about marriage and the future. And don't be so fast to put the child to work. We all know what happens to a lot of child stars. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2856876;
    I think that Jill was making fun of her kids names as a way to knock Alex back to earth. She is pretentious, she comes across that way, and in doing so in that circle, makes herself look like a wannabe. Jill was just knocking her down to size.

Good point. I think you hit the nail on the head!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

The kids' names are fine in the abstract. However, given all of the social climber things Alex and Simon do, I strongly suspect the names were picked to be pretentious. The pretension is what turns me off with those two, or, more to the point, how pathetic their pretentious actions really are.

ETA: Veruka, you beat me to it!

FORT Regular

Didn't they say that they were family names. Mc Cord is Irish. Is that her name or his too?

Just how many French people emigrated to Australia, anyway?

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Juliana;2857044;
    Didn't they say that they were family names. Mc Cord is Irish. Is that her name or his too?

Just how many French people emigrated to Australia, anyway?
    Well, apparently Simon's father is Dutch and both boys' first names are from his side of the family. Francois was apparently Simon's dad's first name and Johann was his middle name. Both boys got American/English middle names from Alex's side of the family. Personally I would of given them the English first names and European ones as middle ones (hell I knew a kid with the middle name of Sparticus growing up and yes kids made fun of him merciless even though his family was rather wealthy but this was in the midwest and not a sophisticated place like NYC).

The delightful bunch has their own family website.
    mccordvankempen.com/index.html
    (sorry but I haven't been here long enough to post a link).

This just might kill me but I'm watching the last episode so that I can keep up with the rest of you. What I've seen so far is that Alex and Bigfoot don't make a move without trying to figure out how it might get them ahead somehow. They all have worst taste in clothing than the OC women. They all must have agreed to do this show so that they could have their photos taken at the events that they try so hard to get invited to. OMG Alex and Simon are horrible. Who the hell do they think they are? Did either of them discover a cure for cancer? No! He manages a hotel! Freaks!(With bad teeth) Very European!

Closed Thread