Page 63 of 72 FirstFirst ... 135354555657585960616263646566676869707172 LastLast

Thread: Tamra Barney - Season 3

Re: Tamra Barney - Season 3

Actually, that yacht could be a good investment for them. They could rent it out for really nice parties. I bet Megan would just looooooovvvvve to book it from them for a super classy event. She could invite all her friends and have a party for her guests and their dogs! I'm sure that Tamra, Simon and his partners would really go for that.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Regular

I don't defend Pizza much much, but I do give credit where it's due. Actually, Simon was the one on camera (to my recollection) stating he and his business partners were buying the boat (not Tamra).
    Go back and watch the scene at the beginning where she's at dinner with the other girls describing her party. She clearly states that "Simon and his business partner are buying a yacht. It's 85 feet and has, like, 3 decks!"

And I don't recall Simon saying he bought the boat. His speech said something about "paying for the boat" which to me = paying the rental fee.

Even used, that yacht would cost millions. Yacht rentals are NOT a profitable business. Usually they are purchased for personal use and the owners also rent them out to help cover a small fraction of the expenses, and it also allows the owner to write off those expenses for a tax deduction. They don't make a profit, it just reduces their cost of ownership. Just to dock and maintain a yacht like that would cost tens of thousands per month. Any boat or yacht is a horrible investment, as they depreciate just like a car and cost WAY more to maintain.
    Last edited by RealLee; 01-17-2008 at 01:29 PM.

FORT Newbie

Quote :

Even used, that yacht would cost millions. Yacht rentals are NOT a profitable business. Usually they are purchased for personal use and the owners also rent them out to help cover a small fraction of the expenses, and it also allows the owner to write off those expenses for a tax deduction. They don't make a profit, it just reduces their cost of ownership. Just to dock and maintain a yacht like that would cost tens of thousands per month. Any boat or yacht is a horrible investment, as they depreciate just like a car and cost WAY more to maintain.

Long time lurker, first time poster here....boats are generally not a good investment, as you say. They do have one advantage, though. A boat can be considered a second home for tax purposes, as long as the boat is large enough to have a sleeping space, a kitchen, and a fixed toilet (portables don't count), which means the interest on the loan can be a deduction on your taxes just like mortgage interest.

I guess you didn't realize I was being sarcastic. Especially at my idea of Megan having a party there.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

FORT Regular

My mother used to say she could have had rental properties for all of the money and time my father used to put into our boats over the years. And they were not yachts.

Welcome,labradorgreen! Thanks for your thoughts. Did not know about the boat as second home tax stuff. Interesting stuff!
    Last edited by NotFromTheOC; 01-17-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: clarification

Destiny is a fickle b**ch Beezers's Avatar

Go back and watch the scene at the beginning where she's at dinner with the other girls describing her party. She clearly states that "Simon and his business partner are buying a yacht. It's 85 feet and has, like, 3 decks!"
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

FORT Fogey

It is possible that Simon is a vested partner at FJ Motorcars and it is Fletcher that is buying a yacht to use for business and personal parties.
    just a thought.

FORT Newbie

The Paradiso is not Simon and Tamra's boat. The show was filmed over 6 months ago. As of today, Jan 2008, the Paradiso is still the property of American Yacht Charters and is still rentable. It is NOT a privately owned boat by "business partners" from Fletcher Jones. Give me a break.

What it comes down to is that the Wanna-be-Barneys threw a comment out there about buying a yacht to try to impress the viewing audience but it was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGG GGGGGGGGGG extension of the truth...i.e. lie!

Tamra likes to stretch the truth to impress her fan club.