Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamra Barney - Season 3

who's gonna check me,boo? ladychat's Avatar

Re: Tamra Barney - Season 3

In the end, it was up to the parents and student but I cannot say that the help was not available to us.

That said, I agree with your point that Tamra was probably not making appointments with Ryan's guidance counselors.

This help is available in every school system throughout the country. That said, who knows if Ryan finished high school. Look at his writings.
    Last edited by ladychat; 01-08-2008 at 05:39 PM.
    East of Reality

FORT Regular

There have been articles about the fact that the parents who have not been through the college admissions process themselves are less likely to seek the help.

It may be that the whole process intimidates them. In that case, only the most motivated seek the help. And I am fairly certain, Ryan was not that motivated.

FORT Regular

There is no excuse for parents not doing their homework about the application and admissions process for college. I think most schools make this information readily available to both kids and parents but even if they don't, most kids know they have to apply in their senior year and even if they are accepted at the school of their choice, they have to keep their grades up or risk being dropped. Also, most schools urge kids to take the ACT and SAT's which are important to college admissions. The competition to get into California's top state college and universities is enormous. Many OC kids who have the grades, still can't get into San Diego State or UCSD, UCI, Long Beach State, etc, and opt to attend a 2 year community college and transfer into these colleges as juniors. The community college system in California is actually quite good IMO.

Destiny is a fickle b**ch Beezers's Avatar

Having been raised by a single mother in Southern CA, attended a Jr. and 4 year college, I have to agreee with Desert. My mom was not involved in my education process whatsoever. However, my H.S. guidance counselor met with me every two weeks to lay out a plan for my future. I would be hard willing to bet that this same process doesn't happen in OC. Although college may not be pushed, a plan is encouraged. I attended a junior college in OC and transferred out to a Cal State school and graduated. Experiences with both were easy and fluid so long as I had the motivation to get it done. These young kids with silver (plated) spoons in their mouth are used to everything being done for them. I would have hoped that Tamra would have pushed harder and been more involved for her son to make more out of himself than she did at that age.

FORT Fanatic

For all her craziness, Vicky knows that in this world, both Briana and Michael need a College Degree.
    She wants her kids to be successful individuals and does not want them to struggle as much as she and her husbands did.
    She might be ennoying and over bearing but I sense that as a mother she wants an easier life for her kids.
    Tamra must realize that Ryan is not College material but I am sure Slimon expects it for HIS kids.
    Too bad for Ryan, but he can consider a lucrative trade school once he gets over his silly self.
    Tammy is my fav, she knows what it takes to make it in life. She just has two very weak daughters. Meagan is far from being stupid and could be a late bloomer, Lindsay is sweet as Pie and could do well in service industry.
    Jeana is just lost right now but at least Kara is enrolled in College. The two boys are dim but will pull through as they have all the advantages that money can buy.Lauri is useless and not worth any lines.
    I am still rooting for Josh and noticed that Ashley somehow is learning her way even if that involves diving in someone else wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by limom;2746330;
    For all her craziness, Vicky knows that in this world, both Briana and Michael need a College Degree.
    She wants her kids to be successful individuals and does not want them to struggle as much as she and her husbands did.
    She might be ennoying and over bearing but I sense that as a mother she wants an easier life for her kids.
    Tamra must realize that Ryan is not College material but I am sure Slimon expects it for HIS kids.
    Too bad for Ryan, but he can consider a lucrative trade school once he gets over his silly self.
    Tammy is my fav, she knows what it takes to make it in life. She just has two very weak daughters. Meagan is far from being stupid and could be a late bloomer, Lindsay is sweet as Pie and could do well in service industry.
    Jeana is just lost right now but at least Kara is enrolled in College. The two boys are dim but will pull through as they have all the advantages that money can buy.Lauri is useless and not worth any lines.
    I am still rooting for Josh and noticed that Ashley somehow is learning her way even if that involves diving in someone else wallet.
    I like Tammy too. She seems to be the most 'in-touch' with reality one there...

As far as Tamra's son Ryan goes... YIKES! Actually out of all the boys, Vicki's son seems the nicest.

Anyway, In some ways,I don't blame Simon for not liking Ryan but it would appear that he hasn't done much to help the cause. I mean haven't they been married for about 13 years? So doesn't that mean that Simon has been in Ryan's life since he was five???? So doesn't it stand to reason that he would have some sort of influence over the kid???? I don't really know. I'm not a step-parent nor was I ever part of a blended family so I'm not totally familiar with the dynamics????

Quote Originally Posted by limom;2746330;
    I agree with you!

For all her screeching, I agree with you about Vicki wanting an easier life for Brianna and Michael and understanding that a college degree provides that avenue. I commend that.

I think you are right about Simon having the expectation that his kids attend college and hopefully one of these days Ryan will figure it out and do something worthwhile.

I give Tammy credit too - she's had her difficulties but always seems to pick herself up and genuinely be there for her girls. I hope they'll appreciate that they have a great mom.

I am pulling for Josh too..I hope his dad has finally been able to help him get the treatment he needs without Laurie's interference!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2749989;
    I'm sure there will be more to come! I hope there is more consolidation. Perhaps this will force them to regulate commissions.

Destiny is a fickle b**ch Beezers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KisaKat;2746372;
    I like Tammy too. She seems to be the most 'in-touch' with reality one there...

As far as Tamra's son Ryan goes... YIKES! Actually out of all the boys, Vicki's son seems the nicest.

Anyway, In some ways,I don't blame Simon for not liking Ryan but it would appear that he hasn't done much to help the cause. I mean haven't they been married for about 13 years? So doesn't that mean that Simon has been in Ryan's life since he was five???? So doesn't it stand to reason that he would have some sort of influence over the kid???? I don't really know. I'm not a step-parent nor was I ever part of a blended family so I'm not totally familiar with the dynamics????
    I have a stepmom that came into the picture when I was twelve. She did it right. She laid out her rules, but left the parenting to my dad. Eventually, she became the mother that my own mother could not be and now a friend I can turn to. The relationship with the step parent is only as close as the parent allows it to be. I have a feeling Simon isn't the cuddly, close type.