Page 46 of 72 FirstFirst ... 363738394041424344454647484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamra Barney - Season 3

Vote for Hillary! IstateTheFacts's Avatar

Re: Tamra Barney - Season 3

Withininterest wrote: I don't mean to be rude, but it is my experience that the only people that tend to downplay the value of education typically haven't attained anything beyond a high school degree.

I have a master's degree yet make around $100,000 is all. I am sure that Tamra makes much more than I do. That's all I was saying. I agree with Sindy that you have to work hard and the kids of today EXPECT to start at that salary.

FORT Regular

I am sure that Tamra makes much more than I do.
    You mean Tamra's husband makes more than you do. Tamra herself hasn't proven to earn any money. She said on the show she had the one guy's house in escrow, but there's no paycheck unless/until it actually closes.

Who knows if she's had any real sales other than that, and if any of them have closed. Her broker gets half her commission, and then of course she has a lot of professional dues, advertising, and all the costs associated with having a listing.

This is a terrible time to enter the real estate market, she should have done it 5 years ago! Even if she makes a nice little bundle in the first year selling homes for a few friends, the pot will run dry after that.

FORT Regular

person that goes right into say real estate and works HARD could POSSIBLY be doing better then the student at the end of the 4-5 years.
    Yes, but only temporarily. Once the market crashed, like it did, the realtor with no education and no other experience to fall back on is going to have a difficult time putting food on the table. He/she will have to find a new career start all over again, and it would be difficult to find something that provides relatively easy money that could be make in real estate the past 5 years. I know of a ton of realtors and mortgage brokers in my area who are in that situation. Most have no college degree and thought it would be a fast track to a large income, and for a few years it was. But the gravy train ended and many are losing their homes and cannot maintain the lifestyle they got used to.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by RealLee;2742164;
    Yes, but only temporarily. Once the market crashed, like it did, the realtor with no education and no other experience to fall back on is going to have a difficult time putting food on the table. He/she will have to find a new career start all over again, and it would be difficult to find something that provides relatively easy money that could be make in real estate the past 5 years. I know of a ton of realtors and mortgage brokers in my area who are in that situation. Most have no college degree and thought it would be a fast track to a large income, and for a few years it was. But the gravy train ended and many are losing their homes and cannot maintain the lifestyle they got used to.
    While I do believe that college education IS important, it is not always a sure thing when a job is needed. Sometime it will make you OVER qualified.
    Other times still not enough. My SIL earned an engineering degree 4 years ago from a major university and then became a SAHM. The degree is now obsolete. In order for her to get a job in that field she would need to return to school.
    I do know PLENTY of SUCCESSFUL realtors w/o college degrees.
    As for Tamra, I think she has been selling homes for about two years. She has sold a few.
    Ryan might NOT be the four year college type but a trade/tech school would be good thing.
    Anything from bar tending to barber to a/c repair to truck driver. A decent living can be made.

An excellent living can be made with hard work and diligence. Multiple degrees do help, especially when the person wants to have a career in certain areas such as education or research. Education does provide an excellent income. Also, the ultimate goal, such as large and recognizable prizes, change lives and earning potential. Patience and work ethic is the key when multiple degrees are involved. My husband and I know first hand and these are things that can never be taken from either of us.
    Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home.

About 10 years ago, Taco Bell decided that all of their restaurant managers needed to have a degree. They let go all of the managers that did not. Managers across the country were without jobs, some after serving the company for decades. They were making anywhere from the low 30's to mid 60's + bonus. Just food for thought.

I think Simon's a bit controlling, but he does have 2 teenagers and 3 children on his hands.

who's gonna check me,boo? ladychat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IstateTheFacts;2742029;
    Withininterest wrote: I don't mean to be rude, but it is my experience that the only people that tend to downplay the value of education typically haven't attained anything beyond a high school degree.

I have a master's degree yet make around $100,000 is all. I am sure that Tamra makes much more than I do. That's all I was saying. I agree with Sindy that you have to work hard and the kids of today EXPECT to start at that salary.
    But your 100K is steady, year after year. Not up and down like people without degrees.
    East of Reality

Vote for Hillary! IstateTheFacts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ladychat;2742443;
    But your 100K is steady, year after year. Not up and down like people without degrees.
    Yes, it is and I never worry about being jobless.

who's gonna check me,boo? ladychat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IstateTheFacts;2742471;
    Yes, it is and I never worry about being jobless.
    Thank you!!! Or hustling for every dollar, like an insurance salesperson.

24/7/365
    East of Reality

Quote Originally Posted by IstateTheFacts;2742029;
    I hear you and agree completely. My response was not tied to your initial comments. I also have a M.S., my annual income is approximately the same.

In addition to my thoughts on education I want to add the following: how much you make is not as important as the amount of money you are able to keep. The people on the RHOOC appear to be leaking money like a sieve. Most wealthy people I know do not have similar lifestyles. (Wealth being defined as a net worth of $5M or more in liquid assets not including your primary residence.)

I don't believe that these people are rich or wealthy. (With the exception of George. The others appear to be wage earners; not people living off of income from investments.) I could be completely wrong; you can never really know how much money a person has.

If they do have money now, I don't believe they will keep it. Take Lauri for instance, her financial situation is perilous. One more divorce and she is back in her townhouse. Another example is Slade. Again, I attribute this to lack of knowledge and education. However, it is entirely possible for an educated person to also fail prey to consumerism and invest their resources in appearances and other things that will not create a financial return.