+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 8/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    However, I saw a woman at the end of her rope last note who had reached her saturation point.
    ABSOLUTELY!!! You hit the nail on the head...she is done like she said...and Ashley's smirk all the while her 4 parents are trying to help her just drives me crazy! I would be at the end of my rope, too!!!! I don't know what it is about Ashely's teeth but they seem too small as if she never got her secondary teeth! LOL...speaking of!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    ! And what is with him and the Walkile kids' mouths always being open? Is it their teeth or something? And Jacqueline mocking Victoria was immature and low - just what I've come to expect from her.
    I know what you mean!!! It's as if they can't breathe through their noses! I have to say I like that family, they seem really tight but they crack me up....I could totally see a skit about them on SNL or something like that!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am not afraid of these kids and their threats to call the law. I would be willing to take my chances with my own. If you don't raise these children with boundaries from the time that they are in their extremely early years, no matter how cute they are, you are asking for trouble. I just couldn't see not upsetting my child as a tiny one just to have many more problems with him as he was older and stronger. They are smarter than we give them credit for being, that's for sure, and "no" is not a dirty word. Children learn from each other. I remember being in a grocery store with my son, and another child was putting on a fit-having show with the adult doing nothing; I saw my son staring, raptly (studying that brat), at the child and told him, immediately "Don't even think about it!". He just looked at me! Never saw a drop of that performance repeated. I'm telling you, it pays to make them think that you just may be half crazy! Avoids a lot of unnecessary drama. The phrases "I'm not afraid of you!" and "Just try me!" also can be quite effective!

I was, more so, about talking a good game!
    I grew up in a family of 11 kids where we got "the strap" for the most incredibly INSIGNIFICANT infractions.

As a result, I decided I would never discipline my children physically until they were bigger than me. Guess what? I never had to. Not once. Even when they towered over me. , I never threatened physical harm, but I did make them wonder what I'd do next. If they were out of control, they got a shot or two from my water pistol. If they were unreasonably territorial about their special possessions (bikes, sports equipment, computers, etc.) they would come home to find I had donated that possession to some more deserving charity or family. They just never knew what I'd do if they got out of line.

They did, however, make me cry once in awhile. Not in the dramatic way Jacqueline does. Nevertheless, "making Mom cry" became an infraction they'd beat EACH OTHER up over.
    Last edited by Poppy Fields; 08-22-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It's not easy raising children. We had more fun than we didn't, in my house and my son was running around picking up chauvinistic ideas from somewhere (probably his dad, and friends). I had fun dispelling those ideas....I could out-wrestle him AND out-talk him!
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-22-2011 at 06:30 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was never spanked as a child, never hit ...not even threatened to be spanked..my mother would say "we need to talk, come into the kitchen and close the door"...OMG!!! I usta wish she would just beat me and get it over with....I swear, those lectures were torture!....on the other hand (no pun intended) my husband was spanked, even beaten as a child....and he never has ever raised a hand to our kids, never even a threat to do so.....he is the most gentle man I know but he comes from a home where he was punched in the stomach for spraying whipped cream in his mouth....

I think Caroline is full of it when she says that she wouldn't care if the police came if she had to smack her kids....she bugs me for some reason, her self righteous attitude is beginning to wear on me...I like her but she seems to be getting to be a bit big for her "big girl panties". I wonder if she and Dina have made up yet and if they exchanged Christmas gifts or saw eachother at Christmas.
    SugarMama likes this.

Remember the Charlie Brown/Peanuts cartoon movies? How the "adults" sounded? Waaa-waaaaaaa-waaa! Waaa-waa-waaaaaaa? Seriously, if you lecture your kids too much, that's what it starts to sound like. I can speak from experience with my own parents. There's a delicate balance between talking and action. Both must be present in equilibrium in order to be effective. Too much of one or the other can result in failure, depending on the child, of course.
    Poppy Fields likes this.
    To return evil for good is devilish; to return good for good is human; to return good for evil is Divine - Alistair Begg

FORT Fogey

I fell asleep on Suday before the show ended, so I finished watching it last night. I think that Jacqueline admitted where she went wrong with Ashley without realizing it. After she threw her temper tantrum and left the kitchen, while she was yelling things back at Ashley, she said that she'd always done everything she could to make her happy. That's the problem. In all the formative years, where Jacqueline was supposed to be teaching her a work ethic, and to appreciate the people around her, and how to be independent, she was trying to make her happy instead. She indulged her, bought her things, and tried to be her friend. As a result, she ended up with someone who will always have her hand out saying "make me happy". Jacqueline went into it with the best of intentions, I'm sure. But she made the mistake that many parents make -- she chose to be her child's friend for about 18 years, rather than working hard to teach for 18 years, and then being rewarded with a lifetime of friendship with her adult daughter. For Ashley's part, she's certainly not the only kid whose been raised that way, and many of them figure out independence in other ways. She needs to realize that she's not going to be given handouts forever, and that its time to stand on her own two feet. That she's 20 years old and still hasn't figured out that from time to time, she needs to show some respect and appreciation is kind of sad. But since Jacqueline has two more small children, I hope for her that she's able to recognize the mistakes she made, and choose to be a parent to her sons instead of a friend.
    SugarMama likes this.

I think when they were in the restaurant the first thing one of the parents should have done is take that damn phone out of her hands and break it! That would have gotten her attention. Lord knows Jac and Chris pay for it anyway. It wasn't only disrespectful of her to text while they were trying to talk to her, it was just plain rude! While I think Jac could probably have done some things differently while raising her (what parent hasn't thought that), there is no excuse for her self-centered, disrespectful, rude, and bratty behavior. Not at age 20. Take away the car, take away the phone and quit paying for stuff. Based on Chris telling her to call a friend to come a get her, it seems as though she's not going to get to keep her car. I'll be surprised if she really get's thrown out because once she realizes she can't have her car, she'll probably change her tune.

As for Tereasa.... that woman hasn't got a clue. She's desperate to be the center of attention and her true colors are showing now that Melissa and Kathy are on the show. Melissa is somewhat of a narcissist but Kathy seems like a very nice person. I would love to try her food sometime. I'm sure she will be the next one out with a cookbook and that's certainly is one I would buy.

I still like Caroline. She is the voice of reason most of the time. I just wish she would tone down the 'thug' attitude.

On the physical punishment thing - I am not a huge fan, but will admit to a swat on the butt once or twice. When the kids are in diapers, it is much more shocking than painful - provided you are not trying to hurt them, which you shouldn't be. But sometimes, talking to them doesn't work and you need to get the message across. That being said, I have not had to swat either of my children in quite a while now - simply saying to them "do you want a swat on the butt" when they are mis-behaving works wonders. I think at the end of the day, it is all about consistency. Sort of like what prhoshay was saying above - your kids have to know you mean it and you will follow through - and then very few times is the follow through ever needed. I was laughing about someones comment before about being called into the kitchen - it used to be the same way with my dad. And that also comes down to respect - I loved and respected my dad and knowing that I let him down or disappointed him was 10 times worse than any physical punishment he doled out. I have said this in other threads - I love my kids and I think they are both really cool people. But I am not their friend - that is not my job. My job is to raise responsible, respectful adults. Once they are out on their own - THEN I can be their friend (provided I am still alive).

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields View Post
    I believe Caroline also mentioned something about picking teeth up off the floor. Lovely.
    I have to tell you, my mom never hit me, nor did she ever say to me she would knock my teeth out.

But I can guarantee you, that if I EVER spoke to my mother the way Ashlee speaks to Jackie, I would be walking around with a full set of dentures.

However, Ashlee acts that way because she has been spoiled and has been ALLOWED to act that way. Kicking her out is not the solution, but it is very difficult to undo 20 years of being raised thinking you are entitled.
    SugarMama likes this.

If Ashley's behavior changes in the future, it'll have to be because she's learned the hard way.
    There is no way she could learn from her parents. They constantly send her mixed signals. Jumping all over her at the restaurant for her lack of being responsible, all the while she's playing w/her cell phone, had driven there (arriving late) in a car given to her, wearing clothes, bought for her and not being held to any responsibilites around the house that she's allowed to live in.....It's a little late to expect her to be a fine upstanding young adult. How can you complain when you're causing a lot of it?
    alizarules likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast