+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 12/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    OH, and it's not fair that there was a COUPLE vying for the prize...unfair, IMO. The odds were stacked, right from get-go.
    It's really not much different from the Rob/Amber situation on Survivor All-Stars. There were 7 castaways present for the first vote, the other 5 could have easily split up the Stearns' by voting one of them off. They just didn't seem to have the collective intelligence to do the obvious. (Uhhh......kinda like Survivor All-Stars. )
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000
    250,000 is less than 0.05% of his net worth. If he was earning only 4% interest on 400 million (I'll subtract 100 million assuming it is property that depreciates) he would earn more than 250K in a week --- no joke! So, he as endless supply of 250Ks to invest in all the charities he wants to. Not to mention that he probably lost well over 250K by not being around (since he's 'stuck' on the island) to actively monitor his investments and the 20+ companies he's involved with. Now, explain to me how the money he earns is different than the 250K he won on the show.
    Warning - this is a very boring post. Read at your own risk.

We don't actually know how much of the stearn's assets are cash which is payed out to them; it might not be anywhere near the $400 million you suggested (it could be investments, revenue but not profit, business accounts, and as you mentioned equipment and buildings). It's unwise to mix business accounts with personal accounts. Also, who knows where this guy's personal accounts are tied up. But that's beside the point. Charities are not an investment in a business sense. On one hand, who's to say this guy doesn't give money to charities. On the other hand, being rich doesn't singlehandedly give a rich man the ability to support a charity. A charity is likely more benefitted from awareness of its existence and its cause. The fact is that there are so many charities and so many causes that being rich doesn't mean one can carry the weight of the world on his back.

It's kind of like Oprah's situation. She has the Angel's charity - and one might wonder why this woman with a net worth of about $1 billion doesn't just pay for the charity herself. Well, the fact is that she does pay out of her own pocket for some charitable projects; but unless you believe in redistribution of wealth she doesn't have an obligation to support every unfortunate being - nor would she have the ability to. The only difference that can be made for the cause of a charity is, as I mentioned - awareness. Bill Gates is in the same position.

Who knows, maybe the Stearns would have given the money no matter what. But that doesn't change the fact that the Stearns' have a right to be selective of where they give their money. Besides, they went into the competition to represent a charity - that was the entire point of there position in the show. Why were any of the other candidates more worthy of the cash prize over a charity that represents those who are truly in need?
    Last edited by Teddybear; 12-22-2004 at 10:49 PM.

Well, this is a competition, so it doesn't matter if the person that wins needs it the most or not. Mr. Stearns did strategize/plot to win, so congratulations to him.

I'm so glad Mary Ann Kate didn't win. What a little hussy!!
    It's one thing to be manipulative in a competition game, but it's another thing to try to play 'i'm-so-innocent-and-have-so-much-integrity' card. Her voting for Mrs. Stearns was a cop out. She wanted to look "innocent" in the eyes of Gilligan, but she might've just as well as voted against Gilligan Chris.

I also didn't appreciate The Stearns ganging up on gilligan Chris. Good for Chris in telling Mr. Stearns to shove the job up his ass. I take it that Mr. Stearns had offerend Gilligan Chris a job in the outside world.

I agree with everyone that's said the ending was blah. I wanted the banished cast-aways to make an appearance or something. Oh well, maybe the producers will do a better job next season. It is a fun little show.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear
    Warning - this is a very boring post. Read at your own risk.

We don't actually know how much of the stearn's assets are cash which is payed out to them; it might not be anywhere near the $400 million you suggested (it could be investments, revenue but not profit, business accounts, and as you mentioned equipment and buildings). It's unwise to mix business accounts with personal accounts. Also, who knows where this guy's personal accounts are tied up. But that's beside the point. Charities are not an investment in a business sense. On one hand, who's to say this guy doesn't give money to charities. On the other hand, being rich doesn't singlehandedly give a rich man the ability to support a charity. A charity is likely more benefitted from awareness of its existence and its cause. The fact is that there are so many charities and so many causes that being rich doesn't mean one can carry the weight of the world on his back.
    I think we just have two points of view which can't be absolutely proven one way or another. My main issue is that Mr. Stearn is an a$$ based on that comment he made to Gilligan regardless of how he rationalizes the way he chooses to donate money to charity. But, given the Mary Ann had her share of problems too, it didn't really matter who won in the final three --- it was bound to be an annoying ending to some degree.

FORT Regular
    What a stupid anticlimactic ending! I did like Mrs. Stearns a lot. I loved her personality and the fact that in spite of being worth $500million, her favorite meal in the whole wide world was... chicken wings. She seemed really grounded and down to earth plus she had a great sense of humor. Her husband is a dweeb. A very rich dweeb. Stupidity aside... I really wanted MaryAnn or Gilligan to win. Just seeing how excited they were when they split that cash prize showed how much they really needed the money. The ending would have been much more fulfilling had either of them been standing over that Mustang at the end.

The ending was such a disappointment. After all that time invested in the show, I feel really let down.

What I thought was really funny though... in the promo(s) for the 'finale'.. they would show clips of Mr Stearn digging and the Voice Over Guy would say something like, "Will the Millionaire's haste and commitment to win cost him?!?" Which led me to believe that there was going to be some major blunder by him, and it MIGHT cost him the win. When I watched..nothing happened.
    I hate that. They hooked me like a fish, just to watch nothing exciting. Bastards.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Regular
    This is OT, but did anybody see Drawn Together? For the finale episode they parodied the editing and teasing of what was coming up next on reality shows. Before every commercial break we hear Xandir saying "what the hell is going on?". Every time. Loved that show.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000
    I think we just have two points of view which can't be absolutely proven one way or another. My main issue is that Mr. Stearn is an a$$ based on that comment he made to Gilligan regardless of how he rationalizes the way he chooses to donate money to charity. But, given the Mary Ann had her share of problems too, it didn't really matter who won in the final three --- it was bound to be an annoying ending to some degree.
    I was annoyed with Gilligan Chris and Mary ann Kate for forming an alliance with the Stearns in the first place. After Racheal got voted off - I thought it would serve them right for Glen to win. Chris gained integrity to late in the game.

So did Mr. Stearn say what he's doing with the money and car or did I just miss it?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast