+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 12/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Questions 1 & 2- Because the "prize" for the Stearns wasn't the money. They already had that. It was the joy of having won. That only goes to one winner.

Question 3- What difference does it make to Maryann that if she doesn't win, the 2 other finalists will share the money? She still won't have won.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Yeah, the fake scene of him being all "googly" over the '05 Mustang was so stupid! He, as we all know..can buy as many of those cars as he wants...stop with the 'hamming it up for the camera' action already.

So, basically Mr. Stearn... who was only on the show to win and DONATE it to charity, took the $$ out of the hands/mouths of people (contestants on the show) who also need it. He CAN donate $$ out of his own piggy bank and not blink an eye..but he doesn't. As he so jerkly stated to Gilligan, "that's why Gilligan is where he is".. so that means he DOESN'T donate at all!
    In a nutshell, he only went on the show to flaunt his "worth" and get face-time. OH, and it's not fair that there was a COUPLE vying for the prize...unfair, IMO. The odds were stacked, right from get-go. It's like they had two shots to win the final race against Mary-Ann.

I feel bad for all the other contestants who were voted out and really needed, or could USE the money. The fact that Mr Stearns won, really made the show ridiculous.
    Gilligan was right when he was mad at Mary-Ann for voting off the Skipper...the Skipper is a hard working guy who could really use the money, as opposed to the billionaire.

I'm glad I didn't watch all of the episodes, I actually caught about 4 or 5 episodes including the finale. Too damn smarmy. It almost came off as a fake reality show... and I'm still wondering whether it was a "real" reality show.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

The series started out silly and funny, but towards the end it just turned into another scheming, mean-spirited "betrayal/alliance-fest". And I agree that the ending was too abrupt. When you think of how much time was wasted in recaps & previews before each commercial break, if they cut out some of those they would have had more time for a more satisfying ending.

They copied Mark Burnett's look & feel, and dialogue, and cloned the host, but could not clone Burnett's editors, who do a fantastic job.

Banishing castaways to the other side of the island seemed to imply that we would see them again -- perhaps in the finale.

Since MaryAnn Kate was stupid enough to be so blatantly manipulated by the Stearns, the Stearns earned their win -- whether they needed it or not. It showed the character of Glenn Stearns which has gotten him to where he is in business. Kudos.
    Jeers to MaryAnn Kate. Stearns would be a fool to hire her as she has proven to be an untrustworthy fool. Let her spend her $2,500 (from the $5000 prize she shared with Gilligan Chris) and see how far that gets her. Gilligan shouldn't have trusted her to do the right thing and should have been helping her along with her decision-making before it was too late. I'm glad he stood up to Stearns and told him what others would be too afraid to tell him.

I'll be watching for the next incarnation of this show, just to see if the next group gangs up to eliminate the millionaires first.

Quote Originally Posted by getreal
    Banishing castaways to the other side of the island seemed to imply that we would see them again -- perhaps in the finale.
    That's exactly what I thought too, getreal.
    I thought for sure that we'd see them included in the last challenge.. but I honestly really thought that they'd have something to do with the 'rescue', like..Oh, I dunno..vote.. or actually be the ones rescuing the winner.

But, yeah..I thought we'd see them again.. somewhere, somehow.

FORT Newbie
    The Skipper owns a stonemason business. Just because his net worth wasn't flashed accross the screen, doesn't mean he's hurting for money. According to a local newspaper, Skipper Jim owns a home in Chelmsford, MA. Avg. home price in Chelmsford is 18% higher than total MA avg. He also owns an 80 acre Christmas tree farm in Maine.

I didn't like Glenn Stearns, but he played the hardest and he won. The Stearnses won almost every immunity challenge. They strategized. They were fit. They won. It doesn't matter that other people may have needed the money more. This wasn't a salvation army pot- it was a contest!
    Last edited by elvisvegas; 12-22-2004 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Yeah, the fake scene of him being all "googly" over the '05 Mustang was so stupid! He, as we all know..can buy as many of those cars as he wants...stop with the 'hamming it up for the camera' action already.

So, basically Mr. Stearn... who was only on the show to win and DONATE it to charity, took the $$ out of the hands/mouths of people (contestants on the show) who also need it. He CAN donate $$ out of his own piggy bank and not blink an eye..but he doesn't. As he so jerkly stated to Gilligan, "that's why Gilligan is where he is".. so that means he DOESN'T donate at all!
    Good point! I read some posts on past episodes saying Mr. Stearn seemed liked a good guy especially compared to the other millionaire couple (glad I missed all of their ridiculous comments). But, that one statement he said to Gilligan says a lot about the type of person he is (rude, stingy, arrogant, etc.). I'm sure there were a lot of other jerky comments he wanted to say, but he was smart enough to keep those comments to himself (unlike the other rich couple), but this comment managed to slip out in the heat of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000
    Good point! I read some posts on past episodes saying Mr. Stearn seemed liked a good guy especially compared to the other millionaire couple (glad I missed all of their ridiculous comments). But, that one statement he said to Gilligan says a lot about the type of person he is (rude, stingy, arrogant, etc.). I'm sure there were a lot of other jerky comments he wanted to say, but he was smart enough to keep those comments to himself (unlike the other rich couple), but this comment managed to slip out in the heat of the moment.
    Haven't seen you around skynet, glad we agree on this! I saw, like I said..only a few episodes, but IMO...the show was pretty silly. The other millionaire couple, well, the wife anyway...was really terrible. Definition of self-serving, ego maniac arsehole.
    The Stearn millionaire (winner) offered Mary-Ann a job after the show (which could be the sole reason Mary-Ann screwed over Gilligan, cuz she didn't want to lose at least the job offer), asked for back rubs from her for $$ that he'd pay later..etc.. So, no..this statement to Gilligan that you caught wasn't the only OBVIOUS arrogant behavior. That's why Gilligan kept saying stuff about " he can't be bought", and "he didn't want that job"..

Anyway..glad to see you again...even if we did agree, cuz when we disagree, that's fun too!
    :santawink Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    Haven't seen you around skynet, glad we agree on this! I saw, like I said..only a few episodes, but IMO...the show was pretty silly. The other millionaire couple, well, the wife anyway...was really terrible. Definition of self-serving, ego maniac arsehole.
    The Stearn millionaire (winner) offered Mary-Ann a job after the show (which could be the sole reason Mary-Ann screwed over Gilligan, cuz she didn't want to lose at least the job offer), asked for back rubs from her for $$ that he'd pay later..etc.. So, no..this statement to Gilligan that you caught wasn't the only OBVIOUS arrogant behavior. That's why Gilligan kept saying stuff about " he can't be bought", and "he didn't want that job"..

Anyway..glad to see you again...even if we did agree, cuz when we disagree, that's fun too!
    :santawink Happy Holidays!
    Good to hear from you to Maveno and thanks for giving me an update on the show ! I only watched about 1 1/2 episodes (thankfully) and the posts on the Stearn thread had pretty much nothing but praise for Mr. Stearn. I'm glad to see that he didn't hide his arrogant behavior very well after all --- I like to think that those type of people can be easily spotted.

Happy Holidays to you too (something else we agree on) :santawink

FORT Fan
    Well that was interesting.. I meant to watch this series, but between TAR and my ineptitude with schedules, it didn't happen. I finally remembered the finale ads after TAR last night (To be continued, so hate! ) and flipped to TBS...

...and within five minutes I hated Mary Anne Kate. The Stearns were just trying to win, but Kate... wow. In one hour, she managed to surpass Boston Rob (For ousting Rupert!) as my most despised reality show personality. Between being so gullible as to trust the Stearns, and going back on her word with Chris the night after getting rid of the Skipper to 'keep her integrity', and finally the confession where she said she kept her word because she voted for Mrs. Stearns instead of Gilligan, she was just horrible.

All in all this hour was pretty depressing, although the new Mustang does look nice. I'll make it a point to actually watch next season

FORT Newbie
    Thanks for that info about the 'Skipper's real life', elvisvegas. He was the only one I had felt sorry for, it's nice to hear he's actually alright in spite of. As for MA Kate, I hope she enjoys her minimum wage job offer, if she's that lucky *snicker* - Sucker. Did I hear correctly however, that Gilligan Chris said MA told him she would be voting for Mrs. Stearns just before they went to vote? AND then he still voted for Mr. Stearns?!? Boy was his own worst enemy. At least he could tied it up. This was the first time watching for me - kept wanting to change it but found myself drawn to witness who would ruin it for themselves the worst. Hate to admit it, but the best contestant did win...and I kinda look forward to the next show. Not a bad formula for a knockoff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast