+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 12/21 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I watched the last 30 minutes of the first episode of this show and the last half of today's finale --- now I can say thank God I missed everything in the middle! That is the lamest ending of any show I can remember and I've watched quite a few reality shows. The jerk who wins is worth 1/2 a billion and we are supposed to believe he's excited about a mustang worth about 0.0001% of his net worth.

As for the jerk who won... I call him a jerk because of that comment he made to 'Gilligan' when he asked him why he doesn't donate 100 million to charity and he said something like "that question shows why you are where you are". Well, that comment is directed at people like myself and many others who watch the show. For one thing, I don't understand the difference and I wish Gilligan had asked him to stop being an a$$ and explain it to him if he's so smart. And, that comment shows how he feels about people who live in houses smaller than his or don't have at least 100 million in the bank or don't compete in shows against people who actually could benefit from that money --- we're all the "little people" and we get to watch Mr. Superior win money he doesn't need... geez, if that isn't the lamest ending ever it certainly ranks up there with the most annoying IMHO.

FORT Newbie
    so why hasnt anyone mentioned that the sterns said they would be giving the money to there charity if they won, not keeping it for themselves
    Last edited by mike10; 12-22-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skynet5000

As for the jerk who won... I call him a jerk because of that comment he made to 'Gilligan' when he asked him why he doesn't donate 100 million to charity and he said something like "that question shows why you are where you are". Well, that comment is directed at people like myself and many others who watch the show. For one thing, I don't understand the difference and I wish Gilligan had asked him to stop being an a$$ and explain it to him if he's so smart. And, that comment shows how he feels about people who live in houses smaller than his or don't have at least 100 million in the bank or don't compete in shows against people who actually could benefit from that money --- we're all the "little people" and we get to watch Mr. Superior win money he doesn't need... geez, if that isn't the lamest ending ever it certainly ranks up there with the most annoying IMHO.
    I was glad Mr. Stearns won because the others were stupid enough to form an alliance with him and vote off Ginger. They deserved to be duped in the end. I understand why he said that you don't just give your money to a charity out of your pocket because you're rich though. Charities are non profit and in most cases cannot be maintained for a long period of time single handedly. Aside from that, the ending sucked because it was vague. The show just ended - I felt cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear
    Aside from that, the ending sucked because it was vague. The show just ended - I felt cheated.
    This is exactly what I meant by my comment above - I don't care who won, really, as I never felt too invested in any of the players. But it was just so blah at the end. Ending it with a competition rather than a burning of the dolls is fine, but add some pizazz!
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

What the heck was that and I thought that Maryanne was supposed to be the "Smart" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddybear
    I was glad Mr. Stearns won because the others were stupid enough to form an alliance with him and vote off Ginger. They deserved to be duped in the end. I understand why he said that you don't just give your money to a charity out of your pocket because you're rich though. Charities are non profit and in most cases cannot be maintained for a long period of time single handedly. Aside from that, the ending sucked because it was vague. The show just ended - I felt cheated.
    250,000 is less than 0.05% of his net worth. If he was earning only 4% interest on 400 million (I'll subtract 100 million assuming it is property that depreciates) he would earn more than 250K in a week --- no joke! So, he as endless supply of 250Ks to invest in all the charities he wants to. Not to mention that he probably lost well over 250K by not being around (since he's 'stuck' on the island) to actively monitor his investments and the 20+ companies he's involved with. Now, explain to me how the money he earns is different than the 250K he won on the show.

Well, I definitely didn't like MaryAnn Kate and hadn't liked her from the beginning. She seemed manipulative; if I were Gilligan I wouldn't have trusted her. Bah!

When Rachel was voted off I became disappointed, and when Gilligan went I was rooting for the Sterns because I just disliked MaryAnn. I'll bet the Sterns don't forget MaryAnn now that the show is over - they'll probably foot the bill for her college education or give her a job...

I didn't like the way the show ended. I wish they'd have gathered all the cast together again. It seemed like it was a hurried ending.

I'm waiting on Gilligan's Island II. I'll watch it again. It was cheesy fun.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I'm waiting on Gilligan's Island II. I'll watch it again. It was cheesy fun.
    And lets hope it won't be on a Tuesday again! TBS could've garnered more ratings if they had shown on another day of the week.

As far as ratings go, the last I read, Gilligan's did well for a cable network, nothing along the lines of TAR or Survivor, but well for them.

My own thought is that they realized airing the show on a Tuesday was suicide and cut their losses by showing two hour episodes weekly. Tori Spelling was listed as a guest star but we never saw so much as a fake implant from her. I think it was probably designed as an 8 week show but due to ratings they cut it down to five weeks instead.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I agree that the ending waas lame-riffic on many levels. I was waiting for something a little more dramatic.

Overall, the show was kind of fun, even though I've never seen a more blatant rip-off. At least they ripped off the best reality show out there instead of one of the horrible ones.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

in banana world
    I have only watched last night's episode of this show, and there is something I just couldn't understand. If the Stearns are husband and wife, then:
    1. Why does it matter if one of them gets voted off, if the other one can still win for the both of them?...I do understand that the chances are greater if they are both there, but they made it a much bigger deal than it should be.
    2. In the last competition, what is the point of competing against your husband or wife if whichever one wins counts for the both of them? They acted like whichever one won would not benefit the both of them. I mean, HELLO they are married.
    3. How could Mary Ann Kate be so stupid as to keep them both instead of Gilligan, because even if one of the Stearns stayed, they still could win. They didn't both have to stay. And besides, they are already loaded!
    I just don't get it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast