+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's Hell!

It's Hell!

I can not claim to writing this, but someone emailed it to me years ago and for some reason, at the time I was saving little things like this to notepad documents.

Take it in good humor, please!

Years ago, CBS had a popular little series called GILLIGAN'S ISLAND.
    There is, however, a dark secret about this "comedy" you may never
    have realized.
    The island is a direct representation of hell. Nobody on the island
    wants to be there, yet none are able to leave. Each one of the characters
    represents one of the 7 deadly sins:

Ginger represents LUST - she wears skimpy outfits, is obsessed with
    her looks, and is a borderline nymphomaniac.

Mary Ann represents ENVY - she is jealous of Ginger's beauty.

The Professor represents PRIDE - he is an annoying know-it-all.

Mr. Howell represents GREED - no explanation needed.

Mrs. Howell represents SLOTH - she has never lifted a finger to help
    on any of their escape plans.

The Skipper represents two sins: GLUTTONY - again, no explanation
    needed and ANGER - he violently hits Gilligan on each show.

This leaves Gilligan. Gilligan is the person who put them there. He
    prevents them from leaving by foiling all of their escape plots.
    Also, it is HIS island. Therefore, Gilligan is SATAN.

Crazy? He does wear red in every episode ...!!!
    Carly
    Time flies by in photographs, and paper scraps and songs... Read mine...

FORT Regular
    I never really thought Mary Ann was all that envious of Ginger's "beauty". Mary Ann was a simple girl, and being as blatantly obvious as Ginger was not her style. Perhaps if she had not been raised as a Kansas farm girl, but I'm sure her mama saw to it that she attended church regularily, and coveting anything Ginger would be a sin.

The Skipper didn't have an anger issue. he found Gilligan frustrating and annoying more than outright anger-provoking.

As for the Professor...knowing it all does not equal pride. There is nothing proud about telling people things you know that they don't and might find helpful. If he had been constantly calling attention to the fact that he knew it and no one else did, then okay.

And Mrs. Howell. She was also who she was raised to be. A wealthy woman of that era (60s) would have behaved exactly as she did.

I think that's actually pretty funny. I see all of theme except for Pride & the Professor. He never really was in-your-face about it, but it is still interesting that someone came up w/ that.

About Mary Ann, no one knows whether she went to church, so that's neither here nor there. There are definitely times in many episodes when you could see her jealousy of Ginger.

Not that the Skipper ever hated Gilligan or anything of the sort (he was his little buddy, after all) but he was angry with Gilligan quite often.

Whether Mrs. Howell was a normal rich woman of the 60's or not (I'll agree that she was) really makes no difference. She never did anything on the island. That may have been the norm for rich women of the time, but that just makes all rich woman who fit that mold "sloth-like", including Mrs. Howell.
    Last edited by colby_d; 12-06-2004 at 10:59 AM.

[QUOTE=happydude]I never really thought Mary Ann was all that envious of Ginger's "beauty". Mary Ann was a simple girl, and being as blatantly obvious as Ginger was not her style. Perhaps if she had not been raised as a Kansas farm girl, but I'm sure her mama saw to it that she attended church regularily, and coveting anything Ginger would be a sin.QUOTE]
    There was an entire episode where MaryAnn thought she was Ginger. They had a talent show where she tried to sing like Ginger and it snapped her out of her delusion. I rememberr MaryAnn wanting the other castaways to notice her and oooo and aaaah over her as they did Ginger instead of treating her like another one of the guys.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I remember that. She couldn't sing like Ginger, and that's when she woke up. That's a perfet example.

+ Reply to Thread