+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Gilligan's Island' Viewers to See Double

'Gilligan's Island' Viewers to See Double

What the heck is this about there being two of everyone?

'Real Gilligan's Island' Show Features Two Gingers, Mary Anns, Gilligans, Skippers and So Forth

NEW YORK Nov 16, 2004 Who knew two SS Minnows were shipwrecked on a deserted island in a terrible storm? Yes, viewers tuning into TBS' "The Real Gilligan's Island," which premieres Nov. 30, will see double. The reality show take on the classic stranded-on-an-uncharted-island sitcom features two Gingers, Mary Anns, Gilligans, Skippers and so forth.

The teams go head-to-head in challenges inspired by plots from the '60s show, executive producer Mike Fleiss told The Associated Press. The castaway counterpart who loses is sent packing.

"It's Ginger versus Ginger, Mary Ann versus Mary Ann, Professor versus Professor and so on until we have our final seven," Fleiss said. "Then the game changes."

The twist wasn't revealed until the castaways were on the island, in a secret location in the Gulf of Mexico. The casts lived separately in villages that were reminiscent of the CBS show, which aired from 1964-67.

In the original "Gilligan's Island," the small charter boat Minnow had been on a three-hour sightseeing tour when it was caught in a storm and wrecked on the shore of an uncharted South Pacific island.

"It looks just like the original set," Nicole Eggert, 32, one of the movie-star Gingers, told the AP Tuesday. "We had bamboo huts that were right on this beautiful beach. It probably looks more glamorous than it really was. Just like in the show, I shared one with Mary Ann."

Eggert's teammates are Mark "Gooner" Groesbeck, 31 (Gilligan); Amanda Dodson, 21 (Mary Ann); Eric Anderson, 36 (the Professor); Bill Beaven, 47 (the Millionaire); Donna Beaven, 45 (the Millionaire's wife); and Jim Murray, 55 (the Skipper).

The other Ginger is model-actress Rachel Hunter. Her teammates are Chris O'Malley, 20 (Gilligan); Kate Koth, 21 (Mary Ann); Pat Abbott, 64 (the Professor); Glenn Stearns, 40 (the Millionaire); Mindy Stearns, 35 (the Millionaire's wife); and Bob Fahey, 52, (the Skipper).

Eggert ("Baywatch" and "Charles in Charge") wasn't playing Ginger, originally portrayed by Tina Louise. She was being herself albeit living on a beach in a glittery gown.

"I had to wear the gown almost the whole time," Eggert said. "It was very distracting and hot as hell."

Self-admitted klutz Groesbeck was star-struck when both Gingers were revealed.

"When I met her for the first time, I was like, `Wow, that's Nicole Eggert,'" said Groesbeck, who's a big "Charles in Charge" fan.

"And then when we saw the second team, I was like, `Ah, that's Rachel Hunter.'"

So in this surreal "Gilligan's Island" world, who would you want to date? Movie-star Ginger or sweet country girl Mary Ann?

"That's a difficult question," O'Malley said. "Ginger's just beautiful. She's absolutely gorgeous. But Mary Ann. She's younger. I had a bit more of an attraction to her."

Does this mean an uncharacteristic fling between Gilligan and Mary Ann?

"Yeah, there's a little bit of romance," O'Malley hinted. "You'll have to watch the show to see."

Fleiss spilled a bit more.

"After 40 years of sexual frustration of Gilligan never even coming up to bat," he revealed, "the drought is over."

Sex on "Gilligan's Island"? How very modern.
    Article from: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=257957
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

"It looks just like the original set," Nicole Eggert, 32, one of the movie-star Gingers, told the AP Tuesday.
    In another thread I had mentioned that I heard the Ginger had a Baywatch connection. Then Rachel Hunter is revealed so I thought I heard wrong. This explains everything. Thanks for the article, Snowie!
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

I wasn't going to watch this, but then I saw who the Millionaire and his wife was! Glen and Mindy! I saw Glen on Oprah before when they appeared to talk about their marriage (Because Mindy seriously had a Cinderelle story, lucky woman!) and she just seems so fun when she appeared on Oprah, and it's so neat how she ran into $500 million just by appearing on Oprah...

*sigh* How I wish that would happen to me To bad I can't whine like a baby or whir like a fire engine

I hope FORT covers this. As much as I wanted to dismiss this as a cheesy Survivor copy, seeing the actual promotional stuff is making it exciting to me. It's obvious now that they've structured things a bit so that it's more about the roleplaying than Survival.

The two Professors are real scientists. I'd bet there will be a science challenge or two.

The two Skippers are real boat Captains. So, maybe they have fishing and raft building challenges.

The two Gilligans are relatively unskilled geeky types who seem relatively well matched for youth and goofyness. I see a contests where they ride stationary bikes made of bamboo.

The Gingers are not just actresses, but really brainless Baywatch types (that might be a misfire, since Ginger was supposed to be sophisticated, but just "bouncy". I'm trying to recall something from the show condusive to a Ginger challenge, and the best I can come up with is modeling evening gowns.

Mary Ann Times Two are real farmgirls, and I'd just bet they have to deal with animals in some challenge.

The millionaire and his wife are REAL millionaires and their spouses, and I could just see some wacky financial challenge using coconuts as stand-ins for money.

Then, of course, there has to be some overall "must escape the island" aspect. I'm assuming that's the break point in the series, that when each set of castaways is reduced to one through a series of one-on-one challenges, that the remaining seven change gears and need to escape the island. The question is, do we get a long term Survivor-like one-by-one elimination AFTER the first ha;f is eliminated, or does the pared down crew of 7 win as a team when they escape?

I'm also wondering where they work in the cannibals, pirates, Vincent Price (he's dead, but wasn't he on an episode?) and the monkey who got a hold of the explosives. Especially the monkey, they'd better not miss that one!
    Last edited by Krom; 11-18-2004 at 12:19 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    I'm also wondering where they work in the cannibals, pirates, Vincent Price (he's dead, but wasn't he on an episode?) and the monkey who got a hold of the explosives. Especially the monkey, they'd better not miss that one!
    Don't forget the Harlem Globetrotters!

It's starting to sound pretty interesting to me, I'd totally watch it. Now if only I knew which channel TBS was on my satellite...
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'll be watching, too. I admit to a serious crush on the professor as a child. Maybe that's the reason I majored in the sciences at college...

Quote Originally Posted by Krom
    The Gingers are not just actresses, but really brainless Baywatch types (that might be a misfire, since Ginger was supposed to be sophisticated, but just "bouncy". I'm trying to recall something from the show condusive to a Ginger challenge, and the best I can come up with is modeling evening gowns.
    I bet the Gingers have to sing "I wanna be loved by you...by you and nobody else but you. I wanna be loved by you aloooooone. Boop boop e doo!", just like in the episode where MaryAnne thought she was Ginger and they had a talent show and MaryAnne could not sing the song well and snapped out of her delusion. Do I get a prize if I am right?
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Big questions this one raises:

1.) Does the millionaire have to call his wife "Lovey"? (on the show Mrs. Howell's name was "Eunice", but he never called her that)

2.) Will the Reality show have a guest appearance by Gilligan's favorite rock group, The Mosquitoes? Will The Hives do as a modern subtitute, or are we stuck with "Bowling for Soup"?

3.) How can we preserve the original show's constant sexual tension between Ginger and the somewhat oblivious Professor? And aren't our two Gingers a bit old for the role? According to her backstory, Ginger was a starlet, not a star. Not that Erika Eleniak and Rachel Hunter are stars, mind you, but they aren't exactly spring chickens.

4.) Will we get the wacky original incidental music, or be subject to crappy generic Reality show incidental music instead?

5.) Will there be a crappy annoying show host, or will they do things right and have the Castaways get all of their instructions from Mr. Howell's radio? Will Gilligan have to peddle the bamboo bicycle for this to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    I bet the Gingers have to sing "I wanna be loved by you...by you and nobody else but you. I wanna be loved by you aloooooone. Boop boop e doo!", just like in the episode where MaryAnne thought she was Ginger and they had a talent show and MaryAnne could not sing the song well and snapped out of her delusion. Do I get a prize if I am right?
    Actually I had a few thoughts based on Ginger's bio (on this page - http://www.webweaverdesign.ca/gilligan/cast.html).

- Yes, Ginger sings.
    - She seduces, but that's hard to "judge" fairly.
    - She makes her own dresses and gowns.
    - She knows TONS of movie trivia, as would a modern Ginger realistically.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast