+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gilligan Doesn't Like Reality Show

Gilligan Doesn't Like Reality Show

PRINCETON, W.Va. (AP) - The original Gilligan doesn't think a new reality television show based on his classic sitcom will work well.

"'Gilligan's Island' is one show that they've never tried to copy. They couldn't burlesque it, because we had done so much of that. And they couldn't satirize it, because we had done so much of that, too. So producers just left it alone. I really don't think this show is going to work," Bob Denver, who played Gilligan on the original "Gilligan's Island," said from his Princeton home.

"The Real Gilligan's Island," set to debut on TBS in November, will feature seven castaways: a real-life skipper, a first mate, a millionaire couple, a movie star, a professor and an innocent farm girl. The show will pit them against the elements to see if they can devise a way to get off the island.

The castaways will even relive some of the bizarre scenarios from the original series, an idea that made Denver chuckle.

"I'd like to see them put a lion or a tiger on the island, but I really don't think that would happen. Or they could get real headhunters from Borneo and put them on the island," Denver said.
    http://news.lp.findlaw.com/ap_storie...123003_42.html

Geez, what crawled up his Borneo and died? I'm surprised to see old Gomer--I mean Gilligan--doesn't have a sense of humor about this.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

LG.
    he doesn't sound like a very cheery guy
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

FORT Newbie

denver

The way the article is written it sounds like sour grapes. But, I don't think it was intended that way. Gilligan was just giving an honest apprasial of the concept of transforming his TV show into a Reality TV contest/show. If the premise of the show is devise a way to get off the island, I am inclined to agree with him.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp
    I can see why he might not like it, although he does sound a little bitter about it. I guess this means he won't be making any surprise appearances on the show.

Maybe he is mad because they didn't have him on the show.

FORT Newbie
    He maybe a bit proud of his accomplishments is all. He could be correct. I know I watch this reality show to remind me of the characters I enjoyed so much. I don't think the reality show can compete in any way with the actual show.
    I think he is one of the great commedians.
    He's just the original Cool Cat. He was the first Beat Nick in our homes. Maynard G Krebs from Dobbie Gillis. I'm not sure I have the spelling correct for those names, it's been awhile.

+ Reply to Thread