+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Episode 1 description - 07/30

First of all, folks, I just want to say that we can all share our opinions respectfully without insulting one another personally, can't we? I visit the FoRT to have fun, so let's keep this place friendly.

I happen to like the idea of "Race to the Altar" enough to volunteer to recap the thing, so I'm one of those people for whom the show's concept proves appealing.

I agree with Spank, who said:
    Quote Originally Posted by spankvb
    This one is taking existing relationships and testing them for strengths and weaknesses. Marriage is the ultimate strain on a relationship and I for one think it will be neat to see how these diverse couples coupe with the strains and challenges set before them.
    And although a fan of the genre, I admit I am getting burnt out on reality TV, which has saturated the market to surfeit and is fast running out of fresh ideas. I appreciate anything that at least attempts to be a new take on the genre (like the Restaurant or QEftSG).

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff
    I think this show sounds tacky.

One of these couples has been together for ten yeras, yet they're going to do stupid stunts and games on the tv to win a wedding.

It seems a little ridiculous to me.
    Fluff is a person whose opinion I totally respect and admire. I would respond to her comment by countering "What Reality TV show is not tacky and ridiculous in some way?"

Personally, as a couple who were married not too long ago and still paying off the bills, I think my husband and I wish this show had been on earlier! I think competing to have your dream wedding paid for is no less ridiculous than thinking you can find your true love on "The Bachelor", chomping on animal genitals for $50G on "Fear Factor", scheming unabashedly for a fortune on "Survivor" or...what the hell are they competing for on "Paradise Hotel"?

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Judging by the attention this forum has gotten pre-show, I expect it to be cancelled after the second episode.

I have never seen a forum get LESS activity prior to a premiere.
    Again, I'll state that I like the premise, but I agree with John, insofar as it seems like NBC did not do a great job promoting this show and I think this may end up hurting "Race to the Altar". I hadn't heard anything about it at all until last week, myself, and I haven't seen much in the way of advertising or buzz in the media.

I don't know how the show will turn out in terms of quality or ratings, and I'm suspending judgement until after its premiere; however, I hope it does turn out to be a good show...because as recapper I have no choice but to watch it anyway!

All you new folk to the Race to the Altar forum, even if it ends up as only 4 of us in here! Hopefully we'll still have a good time.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

FORT Newbie

Looking forward to it!

I think the show should do well. Anyone who's not excited to see this show isn't really a fan of "Reality" TV. These couples have all been together for years. None of them have to be fake or be on their best behavior to win over their mate........unlike other "reality" tv shows in which the people are being anything other than themselves. They all know each other's faults and quirks and all the couples can feel free to be themselves and either fight or get along as they normally do, but now in extreme situations. As for the prize........have you all seen the type of wedding these couples are competing for?! We're talking about $1,000,000 plus wedding! I don't think I would classify that as "tacky" as some others have said.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by toogood4yourkis
    I guess you are not married nor have ever been in love huh? I think this show sounds great. Do you like Fear Factor? that show ROCKS. There is nothing wrong with being with someone for 10 years -- at least they are getting married! How is the getting married concept ridiciculous? Is it because you find real love boring? Out of curiosity, what is your favorite reality show?
    I am undecided about this show, but will watch it and hope to be pleasantly surprised. I too, like Fear Factor and when I saw the previews said to myself that this has got to be another of those hybrids that merges one show with another. In this case, it will be physical feats and who knows what else?

SFG, I am really looking forward to reading your recap after the show. I know it will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPSULions
    As for the prize........have you all seen the type of wedding these couples are competing for?! We're talking about $1,000,000 plus wedding! I don't think I would classify that as "tacky" as some others have said.
    I don't think the wedding itself will be tacky, but I think the premise of the show is
    Perhaps that's just because I envision them rapelling in wedding dresses and tux's.

The show could be really good, but I an only go by my initial feeling that I don't think it will appeal to me.
    I'll give it a look and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
    "That's Numberwang!"

*yey*! Another reality to show that requries teams to back stab each other and make each other miserable in order to create major scandalls to make the show interesting to the viewers and we all know people love to see a reality soap opera. I see this show as a mix of Big Brother and Fear factor with a few minor alterations. Overall this show is does not have an orginal and Fresh approach that will allow it to differentiate from the other reality programmes out there but it could or may not be a success, we will just wait and see what the ratings are like. I would give this premiere episode 3/5 but i am keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better in the next comming weeks since it has that potential.

On the other hand what bothers me is the fact that people are placing emphasis on winning just to have a fancy wedding and not further developing their relationships to ensure it lasts beyond the wedding. I wonder how many of thoes couples really many couples really honestly answered their questions when they had to match or they just guessed so that they may get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I don't think the wedding itself will be tacky, but I think the premise of the show is
    Well the "Altar" was tacky enough for the whole wedding, assuming they make them use it.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Syckogrl
    I am not really skeptical that this show will do well. This show has a HOT host and I think people will like watching the dynamics between couples as they are tested emotionally and physically. SO MUCH better than watching Aaron get in the hot tub or Rob stumble over his words. This show seems to have much more going on than those and they did quite well, ya know?

have to agree...testing the stregth of a genuine couple (rather than 2 people pretending they "know love" and wear an engagement ring after 2 shows) lends itself to a much more intriguing display of human emotions than any other show out there....this is a great concept and the 1st show WORKED.

....AND the show has a HOT host. (VERY)

Quote Originally Posted by everyman
    ....AND the show has a HOT host. (VERY)

Sorry! Grace beats her by a mile!

Chris

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    Sorry! Grace beats her by a mile!

Chris
    ok...it has a hot host and some hot contestants...even better! ha ha!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre1980
    *yey*! Another reality to show that requries teams to back stab each other and make each other miserable in order to create major scandalls to make the show interesting to the viewers and we all know people love to see a reality soap opera. I see this show as a mix of Big Brother and Fear factor with a few minor alterations. Overall this show is does not have an orginal and Fresh approach that will allow it to differentiate from the other reality programmes out there but it could or may not be a success, we will just wait and see what the ratings are like. I would give this premiere episode 3/5 but i am keeping my fingers crossed that it gets better in the next comming weeks since it has that potential.

On the other hand what bothers me is the fact that people are placing emphasis on winning just to have a fancy wedding and not further developing their relationships to ensure it lasts beyond the wedding. I wonder how many of thoes couples really many couples really honestly answered their questions when they had to match or they just guessed so that they may get lucky.
    you seem to have forgotten that it IS a reality tv show...not saying the wedding should be all the focus in real life...but how could a show incorporate what you describe> it's kinda unrealistic...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast