+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Race to the Altar" premieres on NBC July 30

"Race to the Altar" premieres on NBC July 30

HERE COME THE BRIDES - AND GROOMS - AS NBC DEBUTS REALITY SERIES ‘RACE TO THE ALTAR’ ON JULY 30

BURBANK, Calif. -- July 15, 2003 -- Wedding bells are ringing for NBC as the network premieres its new unscripted wedding-themed drama, “Race to the Altar,” on Wednesday, July 30 (8-9 p.m. ET).

“Race to the Altar” features eight engaged couples competing in a series of mental and physical challenges designed to test the strength of their relationships. Renowned event designer Colin Cowie lends his expertise and style to the series, planning the fantasy wedding that will be awarded as the grand prize to the winning couple in the final episode airing in September. Broadcaster and model Lisa Dergan is the show’s host.

“The concept of reality matchmaking has proven to be a popular one. We’re taking the idea a step further by starting with couples who are already engaged and putting their existing relationships to the test,” said executive producer Robert Horowitz. “It’s a great time not only for the couples competing, but also for the viewers at home who get the ultimate pay-off when they witness the couple’s wedding in the final episode.”

At the end of each episode, the couple who wins the mental challenge and the couple who wins the physical challenge become “ power couples.” They are given the task of eliminating one couple until the season finale when the last remaining couple wins their dream wedding broadcast on NBC.

“Race to the Altar” is a production of NBC Studios, TWI and LMNO Productions with Robert Horowitz, Eric Schotz and Bill Paolantonio serving as executive producers.

I don't know what it is about this concept which makes me feel uncomfortable... but its there.

FORT Newbie
    [What do you mean? What makes you umcomfortable?

I think it's a decent concept, but probably boring as heck to watch. I hope I'm wrong, though.

FORT Newbie

actually- i like the idea of testing a couple's strengths. drama-mama-galore!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I think it's a decent concept, but probably boring as heck to watch. I hope I'm wrong, though.

FORT Newbie
    i've heard rumors about controversy in the show.

FORT Newbie
    what kind of controversy? my girlfriend and I are going to watch this thing. She is making me -watch it. We were thinking of getting married but I might hold off now.

Quote Originally Posted by ihopej
    i've heard rumors about controversy in the show.

I don't know if it's because I'm still technically a newly-wed, but I actually like the concept of the show. Lord knows, before our wedding, hubby and I went through a gauntlet of trials and tribulations to get our wedding off without a hitch.

As some posters have mentioned in other threads, I also find the notion of a show based on the cooperation of people who (presumably) really care about each other to be refreshing.

Also, I've been getting burnt out on reality shows that all seem to be slight variations on the same worn-out themes, and I really hope this show proves to be a departure from the "same old same old".

Now, as far as the execution of its premise, I won't know until after 8pm tonight. I suppose I'll have to wait and see.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

+ Reply to Thread