+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Bravo announces new makeover show with horrid title

BRAVO TO HELP SEVERELY STYLE-CHALLENGED MEN WITH NEW MAKEOVER SERIES 'THE QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY'

NEW YORK -- February 10, 2003 -– In an effort to make the world a hipper, more happening place, Bravo has ordered twelve episodes of “The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy,” a new, unscripted lifestyle makeover series, it was announced today by Jeff Gaspin, Executive Vice President, Programming NBC/Bravo. With casting nearing completion, the weekly primetime series produced by Scout Productions and Bravo is expected to make its public debut –and a well-dressed one at that– in July 2003.

A one-hour guide to “building a better straight man,” the series is designed for guys who want to get the girl, the job or just the look. Five gay consultants, all experts in their respective fields of personal grooming, fashion, interior design, etiquette and culture, and food and wine, bring their savoir faire to the cultivation of one subject each episode. Leveraging the expertise and personalities of “The Fab Five,” the makeover unfolds over four segments: from a playful deconstruction of the subject’s current lifestyle, continuing on as a savagely funny showcase for the hottest styles and trends, and culminating with a stylishly complete straight man with the “Queer Eye stamp of approval.” The first season focuses on subjects in New York before bringing its makeover pit crew to other cities.

How long have women lamented, “All the good ones are either taken or gay?” What is it about the habits of so many straight men that inspires women to prefer the company of their gay male friends? Is it his constantly untucked shirt? His beer-bottle collection (which he considers high art)? Or maybe his preference for pizza, beer and whatever’s on ESPN instead of, say, chicken marsala, sauvignon blanc and an evening of Bravo? “The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” is just the tool women need for that fix-er-upper.

“It’s a fresh, fun spin on the familiar proven makeover concept,” said Gaspin, who welcomes “Queer Eye” to Bravo’s expanding roster of original programming. “Not only does it help transform the subject at hand into a cultured renaissance man, the series has the added benefit of creating new Bravo viewers one show at a time!”

David Collins, creator and executive producer of the series and a principal of Scout Productions, is equally honest. “At its core it’s not about gay or straight. It’s about guys helping guys. Gay or straight we all want to look good, feel good and have great shoes of course.”

“The Queer Eye for the Straight Guy” was created by David Collins, a gay man, and developed by David Metzler, a straight man. It is this union of sensibilities that gives the show its depth, humor and edge. The executive producers are David Collins and Michael Williams for Scout, and Francis Berwick, Amy Introcaso-Davis and Christian Barcellos for Bravo. The co-executive producer is David Metzler.

As an independent film and television production company, SCOUT is dedicated to pushing the envelope of creativity and imagination while committed to the highest possible production values. The management team translates the seasoned experience of SCOUT into a premiere creator of content for television, film and new media markets. Challenging audiences with what they see and how they see it, SCOUT has become, quite simply, the evolution of media. For more information visit www.scoutvision.com.

Bravo, an NBC Cable Network, offers critically acclaimed American and international films and performing arts including theater, dance, classical music and jazz. Bravo is seen in more than 68 million homes nationwide. For more information visit www.bravotv.com.

oh my.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Good lord, from the title I thought this had something to do with me!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

What a strange concept.
    A male makeover show is a good idea imo.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I agree with you Fluff!! I just saw the commercial for the show and I think its a hilarious concept! My girlfriend will probably try to get me on the show!! lol
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    Way to reinforce those stereotypes!

This should be good lol.
    I don't want the ocean in my seashell. I just want a boyfriend with a brain cell. Stretch Princess

I love the title! Wear it proudly, baby. What's even more refreshing is that the producers aren't pandering to PC pressure by trying to disprove the stereotypes.
    Maybe this lack of earnestness (and skittishness) signals that gays are finally and truly being accepted as part of our culture.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Saw the previews and love the concept. What I would not give to get my husband on the show. My best friend is gay and I actually took him shopping with my daughter and I for her prom dress. Thank God for his "queer eye" because what we had our eyes on was HIDEOUS and he picked the perfect dress.

MajiH, having posted that I think we'd like a picture of your daughter in that prom dress. Is it senior or junior prom?

I though queer was not supposed to be such a good word to use. I guess I was wrong. FORT gives such an education without a tuition fee!

What about "Make Over for the Straight Girl Without Making Her Look Too Horrible To Begin With? When I used to participate in a lot of activities and had to leave home late at night, well, let's just say I knew very few people would be seeing me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast