+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

FORT Newbie
    I love this show so much! Yesterday, I think it was, I saw the episode where they made over the husband to surprise his wife for her birthday. He was such a sport about the whole thing and you could tell he was having fun with it. I love the guy who helps out with cooking, he's pretty cute.

Extra! Extra! Newsflash!

I just saw a promo on NBC for Thursday night and this show is gonna follow Will and Grace! It is a ratings blockbuster on Bravo.

I cant wait to hear the feedback when it hits the network. Its smart, witty, catty, urbane and just plain ole FUN! Yippee!

See you all Thursday Nite!
    Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

I have to say that I like the fact that they show you sort of a wide spectrum of gay guys, from the extreme over-the-top Just-Jack types (Carson, the fashion guru) to guys who you wouldn't necessarily peg as gay (the design and food/wine guys - and to a certain extent, the grooming guy too).

I made my fiance watch with me. He learned the right way to apply hair products and I figured out a better way to arrange the furniture in our living room. Entertaining and informative for all!
    Joy
    Blogging away in my LaughAtlantis world...

[QUOTE=DaddiKewl6]My personal favorite line was when they were telling Butch how to respond to people at the party and Kyan suggested, "I'm super! Thanks for asking." This line was actualy made into a song in "South Park: The Movie" and sung by a character called Big Gay Al.QUOTE]

Bravo is playing the first two episodes over and over, which is great. I taped the first one this weekend and sat down to watch it last night. The line you quoted DaddiKewl6 was my favorite too.

A new episode on Bravo tonight at 10PM and 1AM (7PM and 10PM for the West Coasters). Check out Bravo's site for when it is repeating. I will be watching tonight and can't wait to talk about it in the morning!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

I've seen all 3 episodes & I LOVE this show! It is the greatest. The Fab 5 are hilarious. I was apprehensive about watching it because the title is so horrific but I happened to catch it one day while channel surfing & I was immediately hooked. Definitely much better than What Not to Wear... they are so mean I stopped watching after about 2 episodes. They seem to actually care about the person they're helping, not belittling them like on WNtW. I like all of the Fab 5 but Carson definitely is my favorite.

Welcome Wagon (I'm smiling to myself)
    Wagon
    I felt the same way about the title. Someone was kind enough to explain that many gays are trying to reclaim the world queer and change it into a positive.
    Other than that, they really do a great all around job. I don't recall a makeover type show that covered many parts of the mens lives. I'm almost tempted to get a rolled up pair of socks and lower my voice so they can redo my place, get me a facial, etc. Carson would definately find out with those rooming hands of his.

Last night episode (number 103 if you visit Bravo's site) was another great one! I thought that Tom was lacking a personality but he seemed to open up after spending a few hours with the Fab 5. They are all so giving! They made a few cracks, but really wanted to help him. Carson constantly cracks me up because he is always hitting on the hetero guys!

Fav quote from the episode: Thorn and Tom had just come out of Pier One. They run into Carson at the corner and Thorn says, "We just did some shopping at Pier One!" Carson (the most quotable man ever!) says, "Ohmigaud! Did you see Kirsty Alley??"

what I want to know is...

What is their budget? On the second show, the one with the husband who wanted to surprise his wife, they clearly spent a buttload of money. And how many behind the scenes crew are helping shovel out and paint these homes? I don't expect one guy to do it, I would just like to know how many it takes.

I love this show. I want a poster. I want an apron. I want a personal blow torch for setting fire to things. That kitchen guy could do his own show.

Lisacog
    lisacog

Happiness is my default position

Lisacog
    I also thought the guy from last night looked like a walking coathanger. He said very little, but not everyone can warm up in front of a camera. To date, the blonde artist had the most personality.

Carson needs to be handcuffed around any guy...wait, he may like that. Actually, they seem to give their best. It seems like it is a mission and not just another job to them.

I am SO on the QESG bandwagon...absolutely LOVE this show!!! (I watch the US What Not to Wear if there's nothing else on, but I do really like the UK version and always make sure to catch that...this really beats both of them tho)

So far I think E1 had the best "victim" transformation and E3 had the best household transformation. I missed the ending of E2 so I gotta reserve my judgment on that until I can figure out where I have it on my tape from last week's stuff.

Couple of my favorite moments were... Carson cleaning out the closet in E1 using a pair of tongs and latex gloves and also Carson again for E2 when he was trying on the bathing suit and the guy offered to undo his jeans for him. Both of those I was

I may have a new 2nd favorite show, nothing beats AR for me so this will have to sit in the 2nd position.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    ..... for E2 when he was trying on the bathing suit and the guy offered to undo his jeans for him. Both of those I was
    I was laughing at how quickly Carson jumped at the chance to try on the bathing suit. Nice legs though.

I am so thrilled that NBC is beginning this series. I don't have cable and everyone I know won't stop talking about it.
    I love the concept of this show, we used to joke about this in the 80's. Men really need a make over show.

I just read everyone's posts, great stuff people, you made me want to see this show even more.

And just to clarify, some people prefer the word queer. Personally I am neutral about it. Queer also means strange so it really fits the show concept.

Don't you think it's queer having a show about 5 queer guys making over straight men?

Hey, who do we talk to about getting our own thread?
    "You got big dreams? You want FAME?
    Well FAME costs and right here's where you start paying,
    In sweat!" —Debbie Allen from the TV series.

Hi Chrome. I'm glad to "see" you over here too. By "new thread" do you mean to have QE/SG on the first screen page and not under Other Reality shows? I believe you need to contact the FORTMASTER John.

Quote Originally Posted by lisacog
    What is their budget? On the second show, the one with the husband who wanted to surprise his wife, they clearly spent a buttload of money. And how many behind the scenes crew are helping shovel out and paint these homes? I don't expect one guy to do it, I would just like to know how many it takes.
    Interesting questions, ones I don't think any of us can answer. They obviously have a pretty big budget because the Fab 5 spare no expense on every little thing the do. I am going to watch the credits carefully to see if there are any clues to any "behind the scenes" crew.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    So far I think E1 had the best "victim" transformation and E3 had the best household transformation. I missed the ending of E2 so I gotta reserve my judgment on that until I can figure out where I have it on my tape from last week's stuff.

I may have a new 2nd favorite show, nothing beats AR for me so this will have to sit in the 2nd position.
    I agree with you libra1022 (great Libra minds think alike ). TAR is my fav reality show and this is a close second! You MUST watch E2 because the Fab 5 did wonders for the house and the guy. I agree with you regarding the artist from E1, I was drooling over his transformation. His face opened up and was bright and happy with the results. I can't wait to watch NBC's version of the episode tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    I was laughing at how quickly Carson jumped at the chance to try on the bathing suit. Nice legs though.
    AHH HAA HAA! I totally forgot about that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome
    I am so thrilled that NBC is beginning this series. I don't have cable and everyone I know won't stop talking about it.
    Chrome! Sad to hear you don't have Bravo. I hope that NBC does the show justice. The Fab 5 are knowledgeable, funny and endearing. Great to have you here, can't wait to see what you have to say about tonight's episode on NBC.

My mom and I were screaming at the TV because they didn't cut that guy's hair shorter. But Thom did an amazing job with the place and I'd love for Ted to cook me that fish ... mmm, fish ...
    "Let's go piss off some heterosexuals ... if we can find any in this great, big, gay world of ours ... LET'S GO!" -Gale Harold, Queer As Folk season 3 wrap party reel

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Dish
    Excellent show. I'll need a couple more episodes to see if it has staying power though.

There's plenty of wit and if you blink you'll miss something. Bravo, Bravo.
    Absolutely Deep Dish, Im gonna watch the NBC episodes tonight, Im just curious to see how they edit it. I hope they will keep it intact, but you know the networks. :::::sigh:::::

I blinked a couple of times when I watched it on Bravo, I wanna see what wisecracks I may have missed.

Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God

About their budget...it wouldn't surprise me if the items are donated by the stores the Fab 5 shop in. We always get to see the names of the establishments as they shop or go to day spas or whatever. It seems to me that a free couch or some jeans or a free haircut would be a small price for those retailers and service providers to pay for that kind of name placement/advertisement. Especially now that the show is becoming so popular.

If anyone has seen both the Bravo and NBC airing of QE/SG, please let us know if there were any differences.

hi eldee, I was glad to see you in this thread as well.
    Yes I think the show should be classified as something more than "other". If people know it is here they will come and discuss.

I did a little research, NBC is cutting the show to 30 minutes. And I cannot find it in any upcoming calendar. It looks like this is a "test" broadcast. They may not carry it after that.

Well less than 30 minutes and it's on (PST). I did find it curious that they put it on after Will & Grace. Although convenient and good placement, does this mean that Thursday is gay TV night? That would be really funny to me.

Okay, that was great. The episode was "butch" the artist. They really did a great job with him. Everyone at the gallery was shocked to see the change. Mmmm the ladies loved him.
    I was not too fond of the clothing choices they gave him, and no socks. NO, wrong choice.
    The apartment looked great, the food looked great.
    I liked his hair but would have gone a little shorter.
    I thought the Fab 5 were really trying to get Butch into a better place in his life, that was cool. Whitty line, self-improvement, and actually caring about the "victim" of the show.
    The end where they get to sit back and watch the entire recap and the final outcome was unexpected. I really liked that.

Over all it seems to be a really interesting show. I could get addicted to it. Because they edited it to 30 minutes, I felt very rushed through the process and like I had missed a lot.

Then they did the one thing I suspected, they pushed Bravo. "If you don't have it, call your cable provider." I had a suspicion this would be a teaser and they were looking for more cable subscriptions. I am sure we will not see this on NBC again.

Oh well, still a great show, would love to see the un-edited version.

+ Reply to Thread