+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the grain or against the grain?

TAR - Simply the best

With the grain or against the grain?

OK, as a man who shaves everyday, I'm struggling to find the logic in Kyan's persistent (and also Sam on EM) sermon to not ever shave against the grain. Having tried both ways, I'm CLEARLY getting a closer shave going first with the grain, then against the grain. My skin is clear ( I exfoliate and moisturize) with no bumps, so what's the rub here? Anybody else thinking this is hogwash?

FORT Fan
    Hi,

I watched the Jay Leno's special, and when Jay asks Kyan how to shave. Kyan states that Jay should shave with the grain. Then, Jay objects by saying that he gets a smoother shave against the grain.. Kyan concedes that Jay should shave with the grain first and then against the grain to minimize ingrown hair.

So, it is OK, but not favoured, by Kyan if you shave with and then against the grain.

I hope that this helps.

If you shave with a razor blade, you should always shave with the grain. If you shave with an electric, you should always shave against the grain.

Shaving with an Electric Razor
    Electric shavers are still men's #1 choice for the quickest and easiest shave, but they're harsher on your skin than traditional razors. You will see better results if you use an electric razor on a dry face and pull your skin as tight as possible.

If you're prone to blemishes, stick with an electric razor. Shaving with a blade will increase your irritation and will make you more prone to break-outs.

Do not shave over a sink full of water! You know electricity and water are a dangerous combination, but if you dropped your razor in the water, you may reach in to grab it by reflex.

Maintain and oil your electric razor according to the instructions. This will keep it in top shape and help you avoid any wear and tear on your face.

Tips for Shaving with a Traditional Razor
    Men favor traditional razors in the hot summer months as they appear to be more affective. The best razors now come with pivotal heads that simplifies the shaving process around curves and will probably produce less nicks. Remember to keep your blades sharp to reduce irritation.

Before you shave with a traditional razor, take a shower or apply a warm washcloth to your face to soften your beard. Apply shaving cream to your face when it's still wet.

Pull your skin tight and shave with the grain of your hair growth. Throughout the process, dip your razor in hot water to rinse and when you're finished.

Moisturize your face with a soothing lotion specifically designed for after shaving. Read the ingredients before you make a purchase. Some aftershave lotions still contain alcohol, will sting your face and result in a drying affect.
    http://www.beautytipsonline.com/mens_shaving.htm

TAR - Simply the best
    Thank Gaawwwd. Now I can sleep in peace knowing I'll be doing the right thing the next am.

FWIW, I do all the right steps with making certain my face is wet with warm/hot water and that I use creams (no foaming gels ).

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I too have become a quasi-metro since watching the QE episodes. I traded in my $.99 can of Barbasol and splurged for the good stuff. What a difference it makes. I also soak my razor in peppermint oil which helps keep the blade sharp longer. I also started adding my hair product from the back and massaging forward....it works and what little hair I have is healthy and happy. Ok, I better shut up now....
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I too have become a quasi-metro since watching the QE episodes. I traded in my $.99 can of Barbasol and splurged for the good stuff. What a difference it makes. .....
    I still use Barbasol because I bought so much of it. What is the good stuff? (I feel like I'm talking about drugs, )

TAR - Simply the best
    I use like a Neutrogena Shave Cream that comes in a tube - works wonders. The foaming gels go on too cold once I've just completed splashing my face with hot water.

As a gay guy, the product-in-the-hair: critical. And do as Kyan suggests - experiment with different things from time to time.

Does anyone shave with the grain in the "southern border" area and does that make a difference? That is the worse area for me.

Have any of you guys picked up tips from the show and have started to use them?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I also started adding my hair product from the back and massaging forward....
    ok, I know I'm tired when i read this as, "i started adding product to the hair on my back"....
    Last edited by joeguy; 05-06-2004 at 04:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast