+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you spell juje?

FORT Newbie

How do you spell juje?

How do you spell juje? Someone told me that it was spelled in a really weird way, like tzeutze. Can anyone confirm this?

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by realpolitik
    How do you spell juje? Someone told me that it was spelled in a really weird way, like tzeutze. Can anyone confirm this?
    The word was coined by Carson Kressley, so he would be the authority on the spelling. Here on the Bravo website they use the word "tjuzing," and here they use the word "tjuzed," but they never use the use the simple present tense. I'm guessing it's "tjuz," but it could be "tjuze." But don't be too worried that someone will look it up and correct you -- the word doesn't exist in any form anywhere in 959 dictionaries.

an issue of tv guide (week of Sept. 27-Oct 3)had a small piece on that word with a pic of Carson and Kyan (with the comment "we're here to zhush you up!" and they have it as "zhushing or jazhing". "Jesse Sheidlower (North American editor of Oxford english Dictionary) says the word goes back a long way in gay
    slang. It usually refers to making something very striking, or flamboyant, in a fashion sort of way." I've seen Tjuzing, Joodge, Tjuzs, Jous.
    For me it goes back to July 15th when QE first aired! Never heard it
    before Carson and Kyan and I don't think anyone says it better! No matter how we spell it!(although, i like zhushing-personally!)

I subscribed to the Queer Eye email list from Bravo's site as a "Friend of the Fab Five (or "FOFF")" ::grin:: , and they gave the question and answer. Here you go:

Q: HOW DO YOU SPELL THAT WORD, YOU KNOW, THE ONE THAT KYAN AND CARSON USE A LOT?

Tjuzs. That's how Carson told us to spell it, we swear. Tjuzs, Tjuzing, Tjuzed.
    Lily
    Last edited by Lily; 10-22-2003 at 02:04 PM.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    The Bravo web site spells it tjuzed which is also the consensus of those answering...However, the word was used by NYU students when I was there in the 1980s and I think its been around even longer than that....Carson may actually make it a common English word used by all but I don't think he invented it.........by its spelling I am guessing it had a Slovic origin.....(is there a linquist in the house...?)

FORT Regular
    Sorry for being wrong about Carson coining it! I interpreted that from an interview where one of the Fab 5 said it was Carson's word. If the fine folks at OED Online didn't charge $300 a year for the privelege of looking up words, I wouldn't have led my sisters astray!

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    OED online costs $300..:O .Now I am glad I got my unabridged Oxford from a book club....I couldn't find Tjuzs in any dictionary at our library....but I didn't look in the one tmtokill suggested....not even sure if they have that...our slang dictionary was 10 years old...anymore 1/3 of the words are considered regular usage

FORT Newbie
    How about every time one of us fans wants to use the word, we just type in SCRUNCH, and we'll know what we mean!? Christopher Lowell uses a word for little accent pieces around the house. He calls the KACH-KEES.or something like that

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cmsmcc
    Christopher Lowell uses a word for little accent pieces around the house. He calls the KACH-KEES.or something like that
    Well, now, that one I have heard. I've always seen it spelled tchotchke, but apparently it can also be spelled chachka and tsatske. It's just a trinket or an ornament.

FORT Newbie
    The word was coined by Carson Kressley, so he would be the authority on the spelling.
    Actually, Carson learned it while working at Ralph Lauren. Jerry/Gerry (??) Lauren used to tell him to "tjuz" the sleeves, etc. on models during photo shoots.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast