+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ted Allen - Food & Wine Connoisseur

Ted Allen - Food & Wine Connoisseur

[img]images/img/ted5.jpg[/img]

It was the incident at Boy Scout camp that sealed forever the sense of culinary purpose that informs Ted Allen's life and work today. There he was, encamped with hundreds of boys in a Midwestern cornfield, hours from the nearest organic market, when some uncouth Tenderfoot left a can of cooking spray too close to the fire. The barbeque tragedy that ensued nearly took out Troop 199. Worse, the blast rendered Ted's exquisite Western Scramble completely inedible with rancid, oily fallout.

Thus the young Ted found a new, urgent challenge: share some culinary knowledge with his contemporaries before somebody gets killed, or at minimum, nauseated. Today, he combs the world with his longtime partner, Barry Rice, in their never-ending quest for the perfect roast chicken.

A Chicago native, Ted has been a contributing editor to Esquire magazine where he is co-author of the "Things a Man Should Know" column-an irreverent guide for men on such items as fashion, sex, business etiquette, and cocktails, and co-authored four books that grew out of that series. Before joining Esquire Ted was a senior editor and restaurant critic with Chicago magazine where he wrote stories for the dining department. He has interviewed such food luminaries as Mario Batali, Martha Stewart, Paul Bocuse, Trotter, Rick Tramonto, Gale Gand, and Rick Bayless.

1. Describe your ideal vacation location and activities.
    Italy; one week in fabulous cities Rome, Florence, say and one week hanging out with friends in a Tuscan villa, eating amazing food.

2. What type of workout keeps you in shape?
    Give me a minute to stop laughing. Okay, thanks: running.

3. What's your favorite "guilty pleasure?"
    I don't feel guilty about pleasures. That's my problem.

4. What is your all-time favorite book?
    "Green Eggs & Ham."

5. What celebrity do you think has an amazing sense of style?
    David Bowie.

6. Which celebrity would you most like to makeover, and why?
    Jerry Falwell, because he's as tragic stylistically as he is politically.

7. What is the worst style faux pas a person can commit?
    Trying too hard.

8. What's your biggest pet peeve?
    Questionnaires. Also, rudeness. Also, people who drive in the passing lane.

9. What's your favorite place to be seen on a Saturday night?
    I can't imagine picking a place to go so that people would see you. Do people do that?

10. Who is your role model or personal inspiration?
    My parents.

Ted has wonderful delivery when explaining stuff to the straight men. He always says witty things. I also think that his tips at the end of the show are the funniest.
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Oh Lord! I would have quoted some of that but it all had me rolling! This guy is just too funny and he does it in such a great way!

I loooove Ted. He is a writer for Esquire, and a very good one at that, so if you go to their website and search on his name, you can find past articles. He's lived in Chicago, so I especially like his local restaurant reviews. Very funny, dry humor and too cute. I love his aprons too! "Horny in Hell's Kitchen"

I love Ted's dry sense of humor. I love how he always makes some comment about the person being and alcoholic when he sees liquor in someone's cabinets.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by carrera
    I loooove Ted. He is a writer for Esquire, and a very good one at that, so if you go to their website and search on his name, you can find past articles. He's lived in Chicago, so I especially like his local restaurant reviews. Very funny, dry humor and too cute. I love his aprons too! "Horny in Hell's Kitchen"
    I forgot about the aprons! I hope they show him selecting them like they did in the second episode. That gave me a big laugh.

I thought when the "cowboy" told him that he heard that Ted had broken his favorita liquor bottle, and then Ted takes out his wallet and says here's the 2.99, how funny was that!

Lyzetth

VERY funny!! I mean...really...Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum isn't THAT bad. And replacing it with DiSaronno?? (just my opinion...)

Of all of these great guys, I think I would have the most fun around the dinner table with Ted. If he ever makes his way to Seattle, he'll have a standing invitation.

I love him, he's adorable, but he reminds me of that guy from the B-52's... was his name Fred?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast