+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Ted Allen - Food & Wine Connoisseur

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Much Coffee
    Ted needs to get a clue. I think all of his dishes have been turnoffs, except for the rack of lamb maybe. I have yet to see people react genuinely amazed when they eat the dishes he suggests. They are just too extravagant, even for gay people. And they don't look all that appetizing. It seems every episode that someone has a weird look when they taste the food, like "okay. . . where's the real food?"
    Well, the pizza on Butch's episode was a big hit and Lisa, for all her other faults, liked the fish that Tom made. To each their own, but I can't fault him for trying to expand the horizons of the MBs.

Ted's boyfriend Barry Rice

I found a pdf document with a photo of Barry Rice who is Ted Allen's longtime partner and chair of Columbia College's journalism department.
    http://www.colum.edu/undergraduate/j...3%20spring.pdf
    Picture of Barry Rice-Ted Allen's Partner
    Photo on page 3 of pdf document.

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Now that I have seen about 75% of the episodes that have aired...Its clear to me that the choices...that the guys make are a combination of some form of paper work the straight guy fills out in advance and conversations they have with the guy when they meet him...In this week's episode both Thom and Ted asked the guy what furniture he wanted to keep and what he usually cooked....I bet they ask alot of other questions as well....I saw a few on each episode....theres some sort of dialog between Ted and the straight guy about what is served...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanatic
    Well, the pizza on Butch's episode was a big hit and Lisa, for all her other faults, liked the fish that Tom made. To each their own, but I can't fault him for trying to expand the horizons of the MBs.
    I agree. I don't think that the purpose of the culinary segment on QEFSG is to "genuinely amaze." I think it is to give a different perspective and option other than the tried-and-true meat and potatoes. Sure, not everyone is going to like what is made....but do you like everything Great-Aunt Gladys puts on your plate during Thanksgiving dinner (or worse, the day-after-Thanksgiving-dinner)?
    A long and wicked life followed by five minutes of perfect grace gets you into Heaven. An equally long life of decent living and good works followed by one outburst of taking the name of the Lord in vain—then have a heart attack at that moment and be damned for eternity. Is that the system?
    - Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Angel66668
    Sorry I don't like this guy. Looks like a wannabe buddy holly. Why doesn't he make food that people will like? Foi Gras? Sushi? Nasty.
    Whoa! What could a person have against sushi? I mean Fois gras is out there and very un PC. Tom didn't dislike sushi, and I doubt his guests dislike it. His problem (like Alan's with hard liquor) is he didn't know how to use wasabi. *Yikes!*

I feel bad for Ted but can only laugh (like he so modestly does) when people don't like his dishes. I agree he's just trying to expand their horizons, but maybe they need a crash course in the basics first. Regardless, he's an incredibly lovable guy who is not the first amazing celeb to successfully wear Buddy Holly glasses (hey shy guy!).

The man's got great style, and like Thom, his wit is waay underrated.

Last edited by elysive; 09-24-2003 at 02:57 AM.

I think Ted went waay to fast for Allen (9/23 Episode) and did'nt give him a chance in making the drinks. I think Allen needs to throw away that book Jai found earlier on making drinks. Allen is very scary as bartender. He had nooo idea what he was doin. I felt bad for him when that glass he got crashed onto the floor. Allen should have gone slooooower in preping. And the food he made, OH BOY I think I will pass.

Quote Originally Posted by BorderEevil2
    I think Ted went waay to fast for Allen (9/23 Episode) and did'nt give him a chance in making the drinks. I think Allen needs to throw away that book Jai found earlier on making drinks. Allen is very scary as bartender. He had nooo idea what he was doin. I felt bad for him when that glass he got crashed onto the floor. Allen should have gone slooooower in preping. And the food he made, OH BOY I think I will pass.
    I agree. You could tell Allen was lost when Ted was showing him the drinks, and ideally Ted SHOULD have picked up on that. I fear that if Allen HAD looked closely at that book Jai bought, he might have realized he was usin' waaay too much booze. Either he should relearn slowly or give up on his professional or social tehe aspirations as a bartender.

And lol, what you don't like sweat caked proscuito and shoe cheese?!? Straight guys never get a break...

Ted did go pretty fast in explaining how to make the drinks but, you could tell time was a factor. I couldn't believe he kept using that sweat rag as a dish rag! I understand he was nervous and rushing but come on, he couldn't use two different rags. I also felt bad for him when he broke that glass. The "check out Dean Martin and Liza Manelli" comment by Carson was classic. Too bad Allen thought that in order for a drink to be good it needs to be strong.

Poor Ted, he got the ancient treatment for headaches, drill a hole in the head to let the evil spirit out. OUCH!

I thought that he would have left the details on index cards. That's the kind of thing I've done before. (Not for drinks).

Tmtokill, how did you find out about Ted's partner/husband? At first I thought he looked stern, but I think there is a hint of a smile. What do you think? Anyway, the guy who deals with cartoons must also be a fun guy. Thanks for the info.

19th or 14th Century/depending on how I feel
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Tmtokill, how did you find out about Ted's partner/husband? At first I thought he looked stern, but I think there is a hint of a smile. What do you think? Anyway, the guy who deals with cartoons must also be a fun guy. Thanks for the info.
    I think you're right about the smile. It's in the eyes.

+ Reply to Thread