Perhaps it was the sounds of hammers pounding and sewing machines thrumming from his boyhood room that first revealed Thom's destiny to the outside world: he was festooning his drab surroundings as any sane child would, with toile, crown moldings and the right lighting. Soon establishing a mastery of color palettes and the importance of high-thread-count Egyptian Pima completely took precedence over any interest in sports or sociability in high school. Thom's current obsession is his own country house in the Hamptons — a controversial, 100,000-square-foot compound inspired by The Palace of Versailles.
Thom is the founder of his own interior design company, Thom Filicia Inc., where he has established a strong reputation as one of the top 100 American Designers. His firm has completed both residential and commercial work in metropolitan New York, the Hamptons, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Washington D.C., Florida, California, Utah and Bermuda. Thom holds a B.A. in Interior Design from Syracuse University's school of Art and Design in the college of Visual and Performing Arts. Early on, Thom focused his creativity on high-end interiors working at the venerable firms of Parish Hadley Associates and Robert Metzger Interiors. Having established a strong classical foundation, he became a senior designer for Bilhuber Inc. where he exercised a personal aesthetic driven by a unique and innovative vision of classic simplicity.
1. Describe your ideal vacation — location and activities.
Two weeks with no cell phone at my lake house, water skiing and participating in debauchery.
2. What type of workout keeps you in shape?
Running from the law and walking my dog, Paco.
3. What's your favorite "guilty pleasure?"
Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.
4. What product or item could you not live without?
Really, really good vodka.
5. What is your all-time favorite book?
"Come Over to My House and Play"
6. What was the name and species of your childhood pet?
"Champagne" - a poodle
7. What celebrity do you think has an amazing sense of style?
8. Which celebrity would you most like to makeover, and why?
Jack Black. Because he could be hot, and I think he would be a blast.
9. What is the worst style faux pas a person can commit?
Bright, bad lighting (i.e. Tourchiere).
10. What's your biggest pet peeve?
11. Who is your role model or personal inspiration?