+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Filicia - Design Doctor

Thom Filicia - Design Doctor

[img]images/img/thom5.jpg[/img]

Perhaps it was the sounds of hammers pounding and sewing machines thrumming from his boyhood room that first revealed Thom's destiny to the outside world: he was festooning his drab surroundings as any sane child would, with toile, crown moldings and the right lighting. Soon establishing a mastery of color palettes and the importance of high-thread-count Egyptian Pima completely took precedence over any interest in sports or sociability in high school. Thom's current obsession is his own country house in the Hamptons a controversial, 100,000-square-foot compound inspired by The Palace of Versailles.

Thom is the founder of his own interior design company, Thom Filicia Inc., where he has established a strong reputation as one of the top 100 American Designers. His firm has completed both residential and commercial work in metropolitan New York, the Hamptons, Connecticut, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Washington D.C., Florida, California, Utah and Bermuda. Thom holds a B.A. in Interior Design from Syracuse University's school of Art and Design in the college of Visual and Performing Arts. Early on, Thom focused his creativity on high-end interiors working at the venerable firms of Parish Hadley Associates and Robert Metzger Interiors. Having established a strong classical foundation, he became a senior designer for Bilhuber Inc. where he exercised a personal aesthetic driven by a unique and innovative vision of classic simplicity.

1. Describe your ideal vacation location and activities.
    Two weeks with no cell phone at my lake house, water skiing and participating in debauchery.

2. What type of workout keeps you in shape?
    Running from the law and walking my dog, Paco.

3. What's your favorite "guilty pleasure?"
    Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate.

4. What product or item could you not live without?
    Really, really good vodka.

5. What is your all-time favorite book?
    "Come Over to My House and Play"

6. What was the name and species of your childhood pet?
    "Champagne" - a poodle

7. What celebrity do you think has an amazing sense of style?
    Drew Barrymore

8. Which celebrity would you most like to makeover, and why?
    Jack Black. Because he could be hot, and I think he would be a blast.

9. What is the worst style faux pas a person can commit?
    Bright, bad lighting (i.e. Tourchiere).

10. What's your biggest pet peeve?
    Bad breath.

11. Who is your role model or personal inspiration?
    My mom.

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    Ahhhhhh! A makeover on Jack Black. I like Thom's style. I'm going to try his artwork tip out, too. Grab me some wrapping paper and stick it in a frame. That came out really nice! This guy knows what he's doing!
    ~*~ Maji *~

Thom is brilliant. I am constantly amazed at the transformations of the straight guy's apartments/homes. He (and his crew) also have the toughest jobs in my opinions because from what we have seen so far, most of these straight guys don't like to clean up very much...
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Atop the highhhhhest weathervane in Spain!
    , Mel. Yeah, some of those places are damned scary!
    ~*~ Maji *~

Quote Originally Posted by MajiH
    , Mel. Yeah, some of those places are damned scary!
    My aunt and uncle live like that. I love them to death, but I just don't get it!

Thom is great because he sees the mess and you can see that he wants to yell at the guys but holds it back and trys to be polite. I do love when he yells at the screen at the end of the show like "If you CLEANED once in a while it will look like that!"

How much help do you think they get to clean the places up? There's no way that the few of them that stuck around to clean could've accomplished all that in one day. (I'm referring to last night's episode) I thought I've been to some places that are cluttered, this guy takes the cake! I'm suprised they didn't do basic cleaning, like dishes, before the Fab 5 arrived.

The producers probably don't want the victims (as I call them) to clean up too much, as a pigsty is much more interesting TV than just regular clutter. How people can live like that, I'll never know. I do know that they film over much more than just one day, and I'm sure they have an off-camera crew helping, like Trading Spaces does.

Thom is an amazing designer. I just love how he takes things the victims already own and make them look new just by adding a few touches. Great, cute, funny guy!

Thom amazes me with his transformations! And what I really love is he incorporates the guys own stuff and just jazzes it up a little. He shows what just a little paint can do. Really amazing!
    Who shot who in the what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbie
    How much help do you think they get to clean the places up? There's no way that the few of them that stuck around to clean could've accomplished all that in one day.
    Quote Originally Posted by carrera
    The producers probably don't want the victims (as I call them) to clean up too much, as a pigsty is much more interesting TV than just regular clutter. How people can live like that, I'll never know. I do know that they film over much more than just one day, and I'm sure they have an off-camera crew helping, like Trading Spaces does.
    The Entertainment Weekly article addressed this question. They shoot the show over the span of four days and have crews to help each of the Fab 5.

What I like about Thom, is that in his design firm, he deals with clients with millions of dollars available to spend on their new decors, and it seems, to me atleast, that Thom doesn't seem to treat these regular guys any different.

I liked last night when he's like "If you just cleaned the damn place!" or something like that to Vincent's wife.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast