+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Thom Filicia - Design Doctor

FORT Fan
    Im sure there are other people helping - you just need to know how a tv show works and things are edited to tell a story... At first they implied that all was happening in one day - cuz they always say the victim has xxxx to do "TONIGHT" but its obvious that the design stuff, painting , furniture moving etc is done over several days. Dont think Thom is doing all that work by himself. LOL

Now my apt unfortunately has looked like that on occassions due to some circumstances beyond my control so if the do STRAIGHT EYE FOR THE QUEER GUY - sign me up.

Do you all ever see the really cute designer who appears on the Oprah show. I think his name might be Nate - I dont remember. He is just so gorgeous - My gaydar goes off every time but Im not sure if he is or isnt - but he is very talented and gorgeous but he is Chicago based.

Thom's task is definitely the most challenging (and rewarding) of the bunch...I totally adore him and his good-natured spirit and his witty and clever repartee with the "victims" and Carson on the recap couch (not to mention all of his various impersonations and vocal nuances)...to me, he's the most adorable of the Fab 5...he's got this whole 1970s Tony Danza meets John Travolta look and charm about him...at any rate, I find him incredibly endearing and talented to boot!!!

On a similar side note, here's a quote from Thom in the new Entertainment Weekly (with the guys from QUEER EYE on the cover!) that just cements his likeability:

And the Fab 5 get something out of the experience too: Thom, the founder of a successful high-end interior-design firm, says, ''In my world, I can spend millions of dollars on somebody's living room, and they'll still ask me why the light switch in the corner by the piano isn't perfectly straight... And now, all of a sudden, these people with a living room full of Pottery Barn objects can't thank me enough.''

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsinclair
    Do you all ever see the really cute designer who appears on the Oprah show. I think his name might be Nate - I don't remember. He is just so gorgeous - My gaydar goes off every time but Im not sure if he is or isnt - but he is very talented and gorgeous but he is Chicago based.
    Yep!...that's Nate Berkus...I definitely make it a point to tune into Oprah whenever he makes an appearance...I'm gay and I'm fairly positive that he is as well...I've heard various rumors that substantiates the suspicion...apparently he's very active in the Chicago "scene"...he was also awarded the Vox/Out award last year for excellence in design (sponsored by OUT magazine)...and he supposedly contributes to various gay and lesbian charities and frequently appears at events and such...regardless if he is or isn't...he's almost too pretty to look at...I chalk it up to his 100-watt smile, strategically disheveled hair, and hypnotic baby blues...he seems so comfortable in his skin, which stems from his harmonious blend of femininity and masculinity...he's like the perfect specimen (male or female)!!!...if Thom were to ever take a vacation (heaven forbid!!!)...I could see Nate assuming his role on the show and fitting in quite nicely with the rest of the boys (although Kyan would have to give up his title as the resident hunk)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck
    [Thom's current obsession is his own country house in the Hamptons a controversial, 100,000-square-foot compound inspired by The Palace of Versailles.
    I'm sorry, am I reading that correctly? 100,000 sq.ft.? Seriously? No, really. Seriously?!? That's like...50 regular houses.

Damn. I should have been a designer.

Just to stay on topic here, I love this guy. He does a great job, especially considering what he's been given to work with in most cases.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I like his style. But I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that he looks like Jon Lovitz

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaG
    I'm sorry, am I reading that correctly? 100,000 sq.ft.? Seriously? No, really. Seriously?!? That's like...50 regular houses.
    Whoa! I wonder if that is a typo! Man, that is a heck of a lot of space!!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp
    I like his style. But I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that he looks like Jon Lovitz
    I guess he does kind of look like Jon Lovitz...but a really, really, really CUTE Jon Lovitz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Pacheco
    .....Yep!...that's Nate Berkus...I definitely make it a point to tune into Oprah whenever he makes an appearance.......
    So, when the FF are scheduled to be on Oprah, will you let us know?
    _________
    I was stuck at home on Wednesday without a car and saw the Oprah show. She had this cute guy using WalMart mechandise for home makeovers. Was that the guy?

Rio Pacheco said:
    "...he's almost too pretty to look at...I chalk it up to his 100-watt smile, strategically disheveled hair, and hypnotic baby blues...he seems so comfortable in his skin, which stems from his harmonious blend of femininity and masculinity...he's like the perfect specimen (male or female)!!!..."

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?
    Last edited by eldee; 08-08-2003 at 01:10 PM.

I am not at all the fawning type but I have to take a moment to say some words. Thom Filicia is a truly remarkable and gifted human being. He is an extremely talented and professionally lauded designer who runs with the power crowd and makes more money than God (he almost certainly out earns the others put together plus some). Yet, he was still willing to do this show which is MUCH more low end than he's used to and he treats all the victims with huge respect even when you can see he wants to go at the place with a flamethrower. I am no fan of makeover shows and have watched I think two in my ENTIRE life (house ones) prior to QE but my understanding is folks come in and do what they do and you have little say- Thom bends over backwards (can you say squiggly mirrors, boomerang and faked stained glass) to incorporate the victims stuff into the new look. This is a millionaire who, even with a support crew and four days time, is working up huge amounts of sweat to better someone elses life just cuz. In the end his work constantly overshadows Carson's clothes and Kyan's grooming because the remodel is 80% of the focus of the victim's significant other when they see what's been done (which makes sense , a habitat is obviously much bigger and offers more to see than a single person) meaning the most pressure is on him but he always comes through with amazing designs - think about where he shops with them, places like Pier One that guarentee the victims can afford to maintain the look of the place, with his connections I am sure he could easily go high end crazy but that would make it impossible for the victims to really match anything in the future unless they get radical increases in income and I think he understands that a lot of the very good and necessary things that Kyan and Carson are doing really are alien to the victims so he, Ted and especially Jai make sure their efforts exist in his world, the best sign I can think of that these guys REALLY MATTER to them, that for all the fab five the show isn't really about them it's about what they can do to lift up their latest Mr X. Thom treats the other four with huge amounts of respect and is quite willing to be in the background despite the fact his resume outstrips theirs and is quite clearly one in a very strongly bonded chain of five. I revere all of the fab five but I just wanted to take a moment to toast a truly fine human being.

By the way if the square footage of his Shangri-La in the massively expensive Hamptons market is ANYTHING close to accurate then its not at all a fantasy to say that he has the seed money to fund a Senate bid sometime in the future- we elected Hillary Clinton so ....hey, you never know
    everybody has the right to speak their mind, so don't shoot me if I speak mine- ray davies

1083, that was very well said!

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    So, when the FF are scheduled to be on Oprah, will you let us know?
    _________
    I was stuck at home on Wednesday without a car and saw the Oprah show. She had this cute guy using WalMart mechandise for home makeovers. Was that the guy?

Rio Pacheco said:
    "...he's almost too pretty to look at...I chalk it up to his 100-watt smile, strategically disheveled hair, and hypnotic baby blues...he seems so comfortable in his skin, which stems from his harmonious blend of femininity and masculinity...he's like the perfect specimen (male or female)!!!..."

Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel?
    Yep...that was him that you saw...

Forgive me...I got a little carried away with the descriptive adjectives!!!...Nate B. has been on Oprah at least five times now since last fall...he's even been commissioned by Oprah to decorate her abode, which will be featured on an episode in the not-so-distant future...

I would love to see the Fab 5 on Oprah...and since the show has been such a huge hit with heterosexual females, I wouldn't be surprised if they payed a visit to her show when she comes back from her hiatus...I'll keep an eye on her weekly schedules (so that I can tape it) and I'll inform everyone if and when they will be on!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    1083, that was very well said!
    I completely concur...that was a brilliant post 1083!!!

+ Reply to Thread