+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: The Search For The Next Pussycat Doll

The sleaze fest starts tonight and it's time slot on CW is right after AI. I wonder how long will it be before it gets canceled.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

I was wondering where this thread went! lol I can't wait to see this!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Another review.

Valley of the sleaze
    Link

March 6, 2007

BY DOUG ELFMAN Television Critic

The Pussycat Dolls are a novelty act looking for a new girl to join their pop music group, which appeals especially to Maxim readers and girl-women who aspire to be Pussycat Dolls.

The whorishly clad Dolls are trying to find their new, seventh lady by using a new competition show called "Pussycat Dolls Presents: The Search for the Next Doll."

This is synergy: a fakey band plus a marketing show equals money.

You might like "Next Doll" if you want to hear their big hit "Don't Cha" over and over until you desire to invite the song outside and bludgeon it to death with your bare fists and maybe your boots and harsh words, too.

("Don't cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me? Don't cha?")

The surprise is that most of the auditioning women are good singers with somewhat identifiable voices. The not-surprising thing is the show sucks like a starved kitten.

"New Pussycat" actually has nice earnestness in it. The girls aren't immediately hate-able. The judges and trainers take auditions seriously and come across as genuine and skilled, as opposed to poseurs vamping for TV.

But really, who cares? This is the search for a bonus girl in a crappy girl group. There are no villains to root against or super-interesting women to latch onto unless you're interested in singing lingerie models.

It's also creepy to see how a few girls' statements seem to have been creatively edited. Sandra, 27, says her parents were killed in a plane crash when she was 14. Later, she messes up during rehearsal, then you hear her say this:

"Because of the loss of my parents, I'm not comfortable singing."

Here's the problem. You can tell "Because of the loss of my parents" has been spliced into "I'm not comfortable singing." It's like the film editor wants us to think she's blaming her long-dead parents for her clumsy vocals.

That's kind of scummy, if that's the case.

Most of the singer-dancers do come across as professionals bent on girl power -- the kind of girl power vixens employ with their open legs, not the kind of girl power you'd find in, say, a female physicist.

"The Pussycat Dolls are about female empowerment," Brittany, 20, says. "And I'm all about female empowerment -- being that I've never had to rely on a man for anything."

Anything? My, my, that is Pussycat power.

The girls also audition to the Pussycats' "I Don't Need a Man." But they do need men, apparently. Songs were co-written and co-produced by men. And the girls are coached to dance and sing by men.

It's men who keep the contestants focused. One potential Doll stumbles during practice and tries to giggle her way out of a tight spot. The male instructor cracks down.

"We don't have time for Kewpie doll stuff," he says. "It's not time for you to smile and say, 'Oh, I made a mistake.' It's time for you to really zone in and listen."

So these talented women wish, unlike Pinocchio, to transform from person to Doll. But they are guided by men, and the mass beneficiaries of their visual splay are men's ogling eyes. Female empowerment has come a long way, baby.

The current Pussycats

NICOLE SCHERZINGER, 28
    Lead singer since 2003, she previously sang lead in Eden's Crush, the girl group formed from the WB series ''Popstars.'' She has acted in films such as ''Chasing Papi'' and on TV's ''My Wife and Kids.''

KIMBERLY WYATT, 25
    The veteran dancer, who studied with the Joffrey Ballet, was discovered by Pussycat Dolls creator Robin Antin in 2003.

CARMIT BACHAR, 32
    Best known for appearing in Ricky Martin's ''Livin' La Vida Loca'' video, Bachar, a Doll since 1995, has toured with Beyonce and performed with Janet Jackson during her infamous Super Bowl ''wardrobe malfunction.''

MELODY THORNTON, 22
    A backup singer for Phoenix area bands, Thornton joined the Dolls in December 2003.

JESSICA SUTTA, 24
    Former captain of the Miami Heat dance team, she appeared in several music videos before becoming a Doll in 2002.

ASHLEY ROBERTS, 25
    Roberts, who got her start dancing for teen heartthrob Aaron Carter, joined in 2001.

TELEVISION REVIEW

'PUSSYCAT DOLLS PRESENT: THE SEARCH FOR THE NEXT DOLL'

8 to 9 p.m. Tuesdays on WGN-Channel 9.

Harsh article, but I agree with almost everything...I just think its a little unfair and lame to discount PCD by attacking the easy/obvious cons about the group, it's kinda frustrating to see articles like that, because PCD originated as a Burlesque troupe...I mean come on, what do you expect? They are a burlesque group trying to go mainstream...they're going to be sexy and racey, and...generally; talentless unless you count for grinding on poles lol

What do they need a new Pussycat Doll for? There are already 5 in the group that do hardly any singing.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Jaslene/Felicia-Mollie<3 Cath31's Avatar
    Weren't they six? Someone left the group? I thought they needed a seventh one.

"I LOVE the smell of hair and make-up in the morning, it smells like ... VICTORY" - Tyra Banks

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    There are still six members. They are looking for a 7th. It may as well be just a spare part, since only a few of the members actually sing.

FORT Fogey

Whats the purpose of this show?

I havent seen the show because I just dont understand what the purpose in finding yet another pussycat Doll when Nicole is the only one that anyone ever focus's on. The rest of the girls are like backup dancers. Can anyone but superfans even name the rest of the girls? The pussycat dolls is the Nicole show so why add yet another nameless person to the group?
    Jessica

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456