+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 1/5 PR Junior 2 Show Discussion

FORT Fogey

Re: 1/5 PR Junior 2 Show Discussion

I think that Tim no doubt used the save so the show could save face for the team challenge set up being the downfall of the contestant. I agree that neither of them has a chance of winning, but it's evident that with the Jr version they are very very careful to not come across as beating up on the kids. It would not surprise me if the save was producer influenced as part of the "playing nice" tone.

On a different note, I think that Christian was born to be a judge on this show. He is SO good at it. He finds such a great balance between encouraging the contestants, but also talking to them like professionals instead of talking down to them as mere teenagers. He was a great PR contestant whose proven to be a gifted designer, but his role on this show is IMO him at his very best.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksmom View Post
    Haawaa was so bossy last night, they both could have went home.

I thought the winners was pretty cool even though he was channeling Erin without the yellow. ....lol
    I disagree here - if only because this was an avante garde challenge, and it's IMHO much better made than most of Erin's outfits.

Out of the bottom design, I think they should've just either eliminated both of them and had a second save sometime in the future instead of using the Tim Gunn save. As most have mentioned, it does read as a pity save, not design save.

Still - the contestants should ALWAYS design as though there's no save, so for the slightly haughty responses they gave about losing the save I say "don't rely on it because it can be gone for any number of reasons - silly and legitimately."

Of note, I think it's only ever been used correctly twice - Justin's save (because he DID improve and gave us that stunning pipette dress in his finale, and wasn't afraid to redo the dress he was eliminated on in another challenge), and Kini (because honestly he was the only other designer besides Sean that season IMHO who could design and wanted to see a good finale).
    AcookerTV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I disagree here - if only because this was an avante garde challenge, and it's IMHO much better made than most of Erin's outfits.

Out of the bottom design, I think they should've just either eliminated both of them and had a second save sometime in the future instead of using the Tim Gunn save. As most have mentioned, it does read as a pity save, not design save.

Still - the contestants should ALWAYS design as though there's no save, so for the slightly haughty responses they gave about losing the save I say "don't rely on it because it can be gone for any number of reasons - silly and legitimately."

Of note, I think it's only ever been used correctly twice - Justin's save (because he DID improve and gave us that stunning pipette dress in his finale, and wasn't afraid to redo the dress he was eliminated on in another challenge), and Kini (because honestly he was the only other designer besides Sean that season IMHO who could design and wanted to see a good finale).

That is why I like how, on PR All-Stars, they don't give the winning designers immunity. Too many designers on regular PR use it as an excuse to coast through a challenge by putting out junk. You should always design as if it were your last challenge. At the very least, have some pride. Show your fellow contestants--and the judges--that you're the one to beat by trying to win every challenge.

Did anyone else cry when the kids didn't recognize Gilligan's Island? That's why I was so happy with Tieler for recognizing David Bowie. That alone makes him my favorite!
    navybelle likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

I think the only nice thing about immunity is that every now and then, there's a designer that wins two in a row, and it's more impressive because that person had immunity and still designed his/her butt off to win again instead of coasting. I do agree that sometimes it's used as an excuse, but I think if they didn't have it, there'd be too many designers who chose to stay safe instead of fighting for the win. There has to be some incentive for winning, and for a competition like this, immunity has a motivating value. Without it, I could see PR being like Celebrity Apprentice where contestants go safe, safe, safe because a win doesn't matter - only staying there matters. I'd rather tolerate immunity than tolerate a fight to be in the middle!
    navybelle likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123