+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2/8 - PR All Stars 6 Show Discussion

2/8 - PR All Stars 6 Show Discussion

Thrown for a Loop by Betty Boop - Classic cartoon character Betty Boop joins Alyssa on the runway to challenge the designers to create young, chic Hollywood looks; guest judge Rebecca Minkoff.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Newbie

Re: 2/8 - PR All Stars 6 Show Discussion

Betty Boop's voice makes me cringe!

Another weird theme for a challenge. Why'd they throw Betty Boop into this? Young and chic doesn't make me think of Betty Boop, but that's what they say they want.

So far, Joshua's cute cutout of Betty's face on his sweater looks better than anything else he's done lately! But I haven't seen his skirt yet or his styling.

Char is struggling with her fabric - neoprene - and Ken's all critical of her choice.

Some of these outfits are just ho-hum, from what I can tell so far, and don't look young, chic, or Betty Boop-ish to me.

FORT Newbie

OMG! Draping and Betty Bop?? No, no.

No don't send Char home. I like Stanley's romper best. I like Josh's sweater. That's about it.

I don't want Char or Edmund to go home!

I'd be okay with Stanley's winning even though it isn't the most exciting thing I've ever seen. The holes on those gems really bug me though - they're not the glue-on type, they're supposed to be strung! grr

Josh's sweater should've been longer, and the bottom looks cheap. He takes a good idea and pushes it too far over the line into bad taste, so it's hard to like his designs. At least his look was "young" and I notice that Betty's version wasn't see-through on the bottom.

Oh no! Char?? Darn. How did Merline make it through AGAIN?

Well, I really didn't feel the boop-boop-be-boop in any of the designs. Perhaps if they had longer to think about it and longer to choose fabric, something boopy would have happened. What the hell is fashion forward? It is beginning to sound like a dog whistle that dogs have begun to ignore.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Only three that even fit Betty Boop for modern day were Helen, Stanley and Anthony. Theirs were more the classic Boop years in color tone, but they were all well done and IMHO only ones that fit the challenge.

I'm sorry but Joshua SO didn't deserve that win. It was tacky, file and "Pretty Woman" Boop. The booty shorts, the garter strap at the waist under the shirt, the "garter" that looked questionable, the overly cropped shirt - the see through skirt?!

Look - I don't know where he got his studies from but it wasn't the drawings and models of Betty Boop. That wasn't "young and fresh" it was tacky.

Here's where I'm ranting about his win: Betty Boop was a sex symbol - as mentioned she was drawn with an hourglass figure (I'm not quoting Georgina's comment, but same cause here). Less was more - as in LESS skin.

It's why Anthony I felt was robbed - his had peek-a-boo areas (covered by the black lace polka dots but still), and modestly covered up more revealing areas.

(P.S. - I keep thinking too I've seen a shirt similar in design to the one Joshua made on sale with Betty's head as the heart. Not 100 percent sure but there is a familiarity about it).

Honestly any of the bottom three could've gone home - not absolute disasters but fabric does factor in. I've never understood the love of neoprene though.

I'm glad I watched the Olympics instead. I may just delete this episode from my DVR box because it does not very appealing. Tacky? It sounds like Joshua turned poor Betty into a hooker. Why in the world did that win? Yuk.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I'm glad I watched the Olympics instead. I may just delete this episode from my DVR box because it does not very appealing. Tacky? It sounds like Joshua turned poor Betty into a hooker. Why in the world did that win? Yuk.
    He did - I was just trying to make sure I didn't say what I was thinking on the page because I was afraid I'd get into huge trouble.

Seriously - this was ironic given last year's designer going on with sheer shorts and his underwear.

I cannot see Betty wearing that outfit. I haven't even searched to see if it's there. I mean Marge Simpson DID "wear" every one of the designer's outfits, even the horrid ones that were bottom looks. (Well in fairness - horrid in real life, looked decent on Marge in the animated form).

Only thing inspired by Michael's collection in the Torrid collection is the "I Love Betty Boop" shirt which Torrid could've designed without his help.

Then again - we still haven't seen Michael's actual Shopkins doll. I do Googles often and no hide or hair of one.

Seriously that speaks volumes.

I thought Joshua's look was awful! Tacky, slutty, and cheap. Period. Hth did those judges pick that? Wasn't the underlying theme supposed to be something like "classic" (I forgot the word she used when checking in on the designers)? That's at least the second time I've seen Joshua use garters and unflattering under-garments. Honestly, I found myself wondering why he is even still there! Amanda should still be there, or almost anybody who's been sent home. His designs are not very good.

I thought this challenge was poorly executed by almost all of the designers. I didn't see "Betty Boop" in much of what walked down that runway. Not sure what happened, it seems they just didn't "get" her style. But then, "she" isn't even real. If she were, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't wear Joshua's design. Maybe he was designing it for Betty's 16-year old, rebellious and slutty daughter. Lol. It read "cheap young Hollywood Hooker" to me. Or maybe even "cheap OLD Hollywood hooker". And that's meaning no disrespect to hookers of any kind.

Joshua and Helen should both be gone by now.

And maybe Merlene, too. She seems to do the same thing, over and over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast