+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: 11/16 Project Runway 16 Finale Part 2 Show Thread

Re: 11/16 Project Runway 16 Finale Part 2 Show Thread

I finally watched the entire finale episode. I knew who the winner was before I started watching and that was helpful for me to relax and actually be more objective about the designers and runway collections. I have seen some of the runways on YouTube and admit that the Ayana's final dress does not show to advantage via video from someone's cell phone. Up close and personal the dress is exceptional. It does remind me of many comments made on Fashion Police that some fabric, prints and designs looks absolutely fabulous in person, but do not photograph well at all and vice a versa. I actually agreed with the judges commentary about all the collections. The collections were better than I thought they would be looking at them objectively and not with the hope Brandon wouldn't win as he has been the judges favorite from the beginning of the season and I truly think he believed no one could beat him. I do understand that the judges felt his collection was too much the same and that other designers do have 30 to 60 piece collections to show and can show 10 or so pieces in the same fabric and that in Project Runway's 10 piece collection you cannot do that.

I do feel that Brandon is too much a fan of a crop top and big busted and plus size women simply look horrid in stiff fabric crop tops. It is not a good look. Also I doubt anyone would wear all of his prices as he presented them, yes a piece here and a piece there but not the total outfit. Yes, his pieces were clean and meticulously done.

Ayana I felt had some poor fabric choices or they simply did not photograph well, to me there was too much similar tonally and some looked very grandma or grandma's couch or simply muddy. Too many ruffles.

Margarita, I am not a fan of her personally but I enjoyed the collection as I like color and she had some interesting shapes and silhouettes.

Kentaro, improved his collection and I got it.

The highlight of the season will probably be the reunion special.

Hope Kentaro's dad is OK.

I found it interesting to note that in part 1 of the finale Margarita said it would take 4 months for the power to get back on in Puerto Rico...seemed like that was based on previous experience.
    woodiedog likes this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Reunion Special in on November 30, 2017.

Kinda sucks to wait that long.
    tinderbox and woodiedog like this.
    No goat killers on my island.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post

I found it interesting to note that in part 1 of the finale Margarita said it would take 4 months for the power to get back on in Puerto Rico...seemed like that was based on previous experience.
    I actually nodded when Margarita mentioned that, lol. It is definitely based on previous experiences living in the Caribbean indeed
    woodiedog likes this.

I, personally, am thrilled Kentaro won. It's not because any of these looks are wearable, they aren't, but his look was more diverse and editorial. I knew margarita was toast when the word "boutique" was mentioned. Brandon didn't understand that cohesion didn't mean 10 looks of the same fabric. Aynana, while I understand her niche as the modest market, it honestly looked like it came from am old western movie set. It, quite frankly, made the skinniest model look heavy. Kentaro, let's face it, was OUT THERE but he is just so damned loveable.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

I finally found some time to watch the show. I would have ranked them like this:
    1. Ayana
    2. Margarita
    3. Brandon
    4. Kentaro

I felt sorry for Brandon losing only because the judges showered him with such praise all season, so I think his loss hit him harder than it did the others. I still didn't care for his collection,... I'm just saying I felt sorry for him since he truly believed he would win.

I liked the yellow dress Margarita designed. (I think it was about 2nd or 3rd coming down the runway). That was pretty, imo. Other than that, Margarita's collection was not my particular aesthetic but at least she was creative and used some color.

Ayana's collection was the best of the bunch to me. I just wish she would have made at least some of her looks in color. I think if she had she would have taken the title.
    Lizard and woodiedog like this.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

I loved Kentaro's collection...it was well crafted, ethereal, beautiful...the music he composed for it was perfect. I think the judges made a grave mistake by giving Brandon so much praise the entire season. They didn't offer up any constructive criticism at all and allowed him to show the same look at every challenge. If they had been more critical of his work he would have gone into this final show with a different attitude and challenged himself to make pieces that weren't the same old stuff we had seen. The flamingo print over and over, the hanging strings, the crop tops...ugh. I did feel badly for him however. He'll land a deal somewhere, I'm sure.

I liked Margarita's resort wear collection and thought she pushed herself to show as many looks as she could. They aren't my kind of clothes but I'm sure there is a younger crowd out there would wear these kind of clothes on a cruise, at the beach or at a summer party in the Hamptons.

Not sure there is really a market for "modest" clothing but I could be wrong...I did like some of Ayana's pieces in particular the pants and tops. The wedding dress was exquisite. She seemed to be one of the better seamstresses on the show this season.

I hope Margarita's family is OK...I guess we'll find out at the reunion.

As much as I prefer for Kentaro to win, I still believe had Brandon not use so much of the same fabric for his entire ten-piece collection and provided a runway moment instead of a snoozefest, he, his hanging strings and crop tops would have won.

Albeit not my cup of tea, I can't deny Brandon esthetic is youthful and relevant, and his silhouettes well proportioned and fresh.
    tinderbox, sparklete and Kfou like this.

FORT Fogey

I thought B. final collection was a great deal of "the emperor's new clothes". If he had tried something a little bit new---like luxe fabrics of silk or velvet-- it would have gone better for him. I do think the judges liked his different design all season, but he dropped down with that terrible cheap fabric---almost like he made no effort at all for the finale.

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kicksave1052 View Post
    I loved Kentaro's collection...it was well crafted, ethereal, beautiful...the music he composed for it was perfect. I think the judges made a grave mistake by giving Brandon so much praise the entire season. They didn't offer up any constructive criticism at all and allowed him to show the same look at every challenge. If they had been more critical of his work he would have gone into this final show with a different attitude and challenged himself to make pieces that weren't the same old stuff we had seen. The flamingo print over and over, the hanging strings, the crop tops...ugh. I did feel badly for him however. He'll land a deal somewhere, I'm sure.

I liked Margarita's resort wear collection and thought she pushed herself to show as many looks as she could. They aren't my kind of clothes but I'm sure there is a younger crowd out there would wear these kind of clothes on a cruise, at the beach or at a summer party in the Hamptons.

Not sure there is really a market for "modest" clothing but I could be wrong...I did like some of Ayana's pieces in particular the pants and tops. The wedding dress was exquisite. She seemed to be one of the better seamstresses on the show this season.

I hope Margarita's family is OK...I guess we'll find out at the reunion.
    I loved Kentaro's collection as well - it fit most closely the definition of "fashion" . . . not ready-to-wear.

There's a part of me that wonders if Brandon ended up trying to "prank" the judges by using $10 per yard fabric (which he probably ended up buying for $1 a yard at Walmart in the clearance bin). Maybe he thought he had it in the bag, and pocketed about $9,000 of the $10,000 they gave him for fabric and supplies. And since they always praised his nearly identical stuff throughout the season, maybe he didn't see any reason to change it up. While his aesthetic is similar to his girlfriend's (who also showed at NYFW), her strings had a point - they served as extensions of the stems of the appliqued flowers on her garments. Lovely.

There was a lot of Margarita's that was a little "over the top" for me, but as a frequent cruiser, I'd have bought the outfit below to wear with a pair of black skinny pants on formal night. It had SLEEVES!!!!

And there IS a market for "modest" clothing. Most of us in our senior community would love having a stylish option that includes . . . here's that word again . . . SLEEVES!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mayamaisha likes this.
    I'm Paula.

I'm thrilled Kentaro won but only because I'm happier Ayana (and Brandon) didn't. I was extremely put off by her self entitled attitude during her final days in New York. She really thought she was going to win! In fact, her attitude was every bit as off putting as Brandon's. That said, at least he was given plenty of reason, by the judges, to have a head the size of Montana. Oh, how the "mighty" fall. Great learning lesson for them both. I do wish each of them success.

As for a much more humble, Kentaro? I thought his collection was interesting. I hated that ugly netting/tool front that was attached to his first runway dress but it seems all the judges loved it. Hmmm....

If I were voting, I favored Brandon's looks. However, I HATED HATED that awful cheap fabric.

Looking forward to the reunion episode.
    Kfou likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast