+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Re: 9/14 - Project Runway 16 Show Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have heard that some models wear depends as they are sewn into the garments and can't sit or lie down in them.
    That's just the bottom half. I think I would go crazier not being able to use my hands. "Er, could you untie this so I can take a drink? Thank you."

Yes, Shaun has sent that same look down the runway for virtually every challenge. No talent and no imagination. Hope Claire turns on her next week.

Loved the other top look. Heidi was right, it was such a mishmash that it could have been a disaster. Instead, it just worked. Now that's creativity. I wish that look had won.
    beerbelly likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    Remember how Heidi went on and on about how a girl wouldn't be able to go pee in the middle of the night in somebody's outfit? I remember that because she wouldn't shut up about it, and I thought it seemed stupid at the time. It had something to do with somebody's design for her line of lingerie; it had to be easy to get out of, is what she said. I think Heidi is always trying to sound like she's still young and sexy despite that she isn't 25 anymore. I think Heidi needs to act a bit more her age.

Anyway, I was just thinking, if she really felt that way then why didn't she complain about a girl not being able to go pee at an event, if she were wearing Brandon's "straight jacket" outfit? Now that one would be hard to get out of quickly. According to Heidi's own theory, she would pee herself.
    I also couldn't help thinking that if it were a menswear challenge, no one would be arguing that it was just a runway look so it didn't matter if a woman wearing it couldn't use her hands or go to the bathroom or whatever. They'd be saying it made no sense that a man couldn't do anything requiring his hands in it, so why would anyone look twice at it? Why is it okay that even high fashion women's designs should be constructed in a way that makes it difficult for the woman wearing the outfit to do so much as brush a stray hair away from her face? I've liked Brandon's work in the past and I like his humble attitude very much, but I didn't get the sleeves on this outfit at all and would have given the win to one of the other two designers this time.

I also continue to be impressed with Kenya's tailoring skills. Wow can she turn out an outfit that looks like it took much longer to make than two days.
    lilymax and Babbred like this.

I am so glad Aaron is gone. I have questioned why he was ever chosen to be the competition as his looks have all been poorly sewn and designed. I also think he has some personal issues too that may have affected his ability to adapt to the type of challenges and time restraints of the competition.

Okay, Brandon is a hottie that all the models are crushing on (and are disappointed he has a girlfriend), he has awesome sewing skills, and he is a genuinely nice guy, BUT personally I am not a fan of his designs. I would never wear them and they look too "out there" for my taste. I guess I'm just not a fan of high fashion. Personally, I loved Michael's look. It truly represented the theme of "evil" and it was beautiful, very well sewn, and the model looked gorgeous in it. It was possibly a bit too "costume(y)", which may have cost him the win. I am very glad Kenya is back in the game and over her case of nerves. She is such a sweetie. The twins are VERY irritating to watch on TV. I can imagine how crazy they must drive the others in the workroom.

FORT Newbie

I do like Brandon's designs and he's a cutie with those braids. But his personal outfits to me are laughable! Who wears red socks with white sandals!!!! I don't think he should have won that challenge but I did like the garment. The fact that Michael draped that fabric into a beautiful dress was very impressive and while the outift was showy, it was not a costume. Very, very well done!
    AZChristian and annemik like this.

The only design coming from Aaron I liked was tempered during the group challenge (2nd from the bottom) where, IMO, he executed someone else's suggested designed. Looking at the succession of looks, it's no wonder, to me anyway, that it was his time to go.

Aaron pr16-ep5.jpg
    Aaron pr16-ep4.jpg
    Aaron pr16-ep3.jpg
    Aaron pr16-ep2.jpg
    Aaron pr16-ep1.jpg

Perhaps I'm just tired, but I'm not thrilled about this challenge, at all.

Updating my picks ...

Aaron Myers - matter of time (too specific point of view) (toast; on his way out)
    Amy Bond -top contender contender
    Ayana Ife - matter of time (too specific point of view)
    Batani-Khalfani - matter of time (she's not ready) contender (I still don't think she's ready)
    Brandon Key - matter of time contender top contender
    ChaCha - matter of time
    Claire Buitendorp - contender matter of time (the PR experience is lost on her)
    Deyonte Weather - top contender matter of time
    Kentaro Kameyama - top contender
    Kenya Freeman - top contender contender
    Kudzanai Karidza - contender
    Margarita Alvarez - contender
    Michael Brambila - matter of time (too specific point of view) contender
    Samantha Rei - contender (I'm not certain of her point of view) matter of time (on her way out)
    Sentell McDonald - contender
    Shawn Buitendorp - matter of time contender
    Kfou likes this.

I love Brandon as a person. He's very creative and I think he under estimates his own talent. That said, I was shocked that he won this challenge. I thought the judges were going to praise him for his inventiveness but scold him on the non-functionality of those sleeves. I expected Nina to ask, "How is she supposed to eat her meal? How is she supposed to use the ladies room?" ... But she didn't.

I loved Michael's and Kenya's look and I thought Michael should have won. I also loved Margarita's look and the fact that she dared to go sexy for her plus sized model as opposed to playing it safe and keeping her overly covered. I think for this challenge Margarita should have been in the top 3 as opposed to Brandon.

I, too, noticed the death stares and side glances Claire gave to the others as they received praise for their garments. I don't dislike Claire as much as I dislike Shawn, but this week she trumped her sister on my 'dislike' scale. Plus, I don't see how her boring look could have taken 2-days to complete.

Aaron! Oh, Aaron! Lord Jesus his look was awful. I had to laugh reading the comments in this thread: "...it looked like crepe paper streamers," "....it looked like a piñata," " ....it's like his model had static cling and a bunch of fabric strips jumped onto her as she walked across a rug." <--- Too funny!
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

I slept

I don't know anything about these designers as persons, other than finding the twins annoying and won't even commit too much to that given there is always the question of edit.

That said, I strongly agree with the judges' decision that Brandon was the clear winner of this challenge. This photo does not show the center slit which I think helps make the look from the front, but I absolutely LOVE the back and LOVE the balance that the sleeves bring. This challenge was about creating runway high fashion and not creating a look practical for eating a well dressed salad. The only thing I don't LOVE about the look is the high-low hem for, frankly, I'm over those unless there is an inside lining offers something more ...

Brandon pr16-ep5.jpg

Of the Goods, there was Bandon and no one else standing out positively, IMO. Except for, maybe Amy, but she's totally in her own world. And for as awful the judges considered Claire's look, I thought Ayana's look was butt ugly --- just butt ugly. Poor Aaron was clearly over his head.

Of the evils, except for Kenya's look, which I didn't love, to me they all look like each other except for textile choices. Yes, Michael's feathers and lace looked expensive and were spot on, but his design, wasn't too different from all the other evils, except for Samantha who I think has lost her footing and tend to believe she'll be the next eliminated.

I guess I'll never get it about what makes those sleeves good. Heidi made her usual "straitjacket" joke about them, but she usually makes that joke about garments she doesn't like.

And nothing will ever make me like that striped print. It's 50's sitcom kitchen wallpaper.

I just think that look is totally The Emperor's New Clothes.
    justCoz, navybelle and AZChristian like this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I guess I'll never get it about what makes those sleeves good. Heidi made her usual "straitjacket" joke about them, but she usually makes that joke about garments she doesn't like.

And nothing will ever make me like that striped print. It's 50's sitcom kitchen wallpaper.

I just think that look is totally The Emperor's New Clothes.
    I don't really understand the love for it myself. Sometimes different is just different and there's a reason it's never been done before. I don't think the top part is particularly flattering to her figure and I didn't like the fabric for the bottom section.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast