+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: PR All-Stars 01/09 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: PR All-Stars 01/09 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I understand that art is subjective, but going by the runway, both of them had good and bad looks. IMHO what gave Seth Aaron the win if it were a tie was he was a Lifetime Contestant and could be declared the first repeat winner.

Korto's is what I personally see in a runway - just beautiful well made stuff, not necessarily ready-to-wear (though a lot of it was) but compared to SA's this go, it felt more imaginative. I mean - from what we saw, SA had a dress that was almost pulled straight out of the 1960s and puffed out a bit.

Korto's also felt more international than SA's - heck even Elena's given how many people say her style is very much Iron Curtain/Russian style looking. (Though no, if Elena won over either of them with this collection it'd definitely been wrong).

I guess this is my biggest beef of all - and something I think we ALL can look at in the future: Watch their commercials when they eliminate contestants. EACH YEAR they've done the All-Stars the winner has been front and center in the final three, and is that way through the odd numbers of contestants (usually right to center in evens). Mondo was there, AR was there, and SA was there.

Yes, I had him pegged at five for confirmation, was pretty sure at 7. Was HOPING that Lifetime and the judges were not going to do that to us again (spoil the winner with the stupid commercial) and it be Korto or whomever the third finalist was (Jeffery an aside - he was really TRULY bad)*

If they continue with All-Stars, they need to either shuffle it around better (as the first odd numbered one or two they had Jeffery in the spot) or we can just look at the grouping during an odd number of contestant week, find our winner and turn off the show for another series.

* - I did NOT nor liked Jeffery or his designs this year, but I will admit he proved a very valid point: they're not going to give Bravo contestants a fair shot or really much to be talked about, so why not half-heart it, get a relatively free trip and some spending money if not just the publicity (or something to be talked about) because you know it will never been someone from the network YOUR version was on?
    I am glad at least it seemed like both had good and bad pieces. I thought it was weird he was front and center like Mondo. I forgot about AR being in that position as well. Kinda silly! I look forward to seeing the final and I promise I will be honest. If I like Korto's stuff better, I will come back here and say so. Still glad a Vancouver, WA guy got the win. I tend to discount conspiracy theories unless there is a smoking gun, so to speak. And with all the chatter I read about the bias, I think it would be smart for the brand to pre-pick a person from the other network to throw people off the trail if that truly was the case. OK, maybe I like really complicated conspiracies. Anyway, I am glad they both showed good looks. I have read lots of comments about saying how Elana was robbed as well. Honestly, I thought she'd go No. 3, Seth No. 2 as he was a previous winner, and Korto as the winner. (like Mondo, I liked her much better in her original season).
    Cootie likes this.

I really wanted to see Elena win. My backup plan to that was anyone but Seth Aaron as none of his stuff had impressed me except for the challenge he won. I didn't really think Korto had a chance as all her stuff seemed sloppy. At the Runway I liked Elaina's but I thought perhaps I had seen it before, then I saw Seth Aaron and thought how high fashion but is it wearable by anyone except skinny models and then Korto came and I thought wow she has the best collection and would win.

After the disappointment of this season I truly hope Tim Gunn's show it much, much better.

See you at the reunion special.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    On what Web site? I admit to having a knee-jerk reaction to statements like "percent of America" when it is only a small sampling and those who disagree are most likely to post. But then again, I reserve the right to agree with you when I see the show online. I don't have cable anymore, so I am stuck waiting. :-(
    They were showing the results on the TV Screen on the lower left hand corner as the episode aired.
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Count me among the supposed 21% who approved of Seth Aaron winning. While I don't like his current haircut, I've always liked his clothing, his enthusiasm, and his attitude. I thought the order of finish was just right and found myself agreeing with Alyssa Milano in that Korto's tops were exquisite, but the bottoms needed more attention. Over the years, I've found myself liking about half her designs.

Elena didn't belong on the same stage with either of them for me. I do. however, understand her emotional reactions even if I don't want to watch them. She is Ukrainian, a culture that is volatile and highly emotional. I'll point to Maks and Val on Dancing With the Stars as examples. They are professional entertainers who have learned to control it to a degree, but those traits are still there.
    Kip, Uncle David, Cootie and 2 others like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There's something about Seth's looks (and outlook) that seem insincere to me. His comment about Korto's clothes revealed to me -- he said that they were beautiful, but for a runway show you had to WOW them (paraphrasing). I think his designs are sometimes wacky for wacky's sake. Designing wearable art that only models can wear is fine, but it shouldn't be the mark of the winning designer. I don't know how SA is doing in the commercial world since his first win, though -- maybe he knows how to translate to ready-to-wear when he needs to. But he didn't with this collection.
    prhoshay likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Well I'm in the minority. I haven't liked most of Seth Aaron's stuff this season, but I thought his runway show was the best. It seemed the best made and most polished, as well as imaginative. I like Korto, despite her sometimes off putting attitude, and wanted her to win, but as far as the runway show went, I had to give Seth credit.
    Kip, justCoz, Cootie and 2 others like this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Very surprised that they gave the win to Seth Aaron since it seemed they'd set the whole season up to give it to Korto (especially after they saved her and sent Christopher home last week).

There were pieces in both collections that I liked, whereas in Elena's collection, I had to find one piece that I didn't hate!

Looking forward to Under The Gunn and I'm kinda glad the All Star season is over.
    Duckyface likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I should clarify my stance - I like Seth Aaron and think he's an excellent designer. In fact, I really would love to have one of his coats from his first season - either the one with his printed material (among the best in the show's history as far as the design itself) and the houndstooth one that went with the kid's look in the mother/child challenge.

That said, I have to say he took overall a downturn in areas this year. He had several good designs this season, such as his Bonnie and Clyde runway look (STILL to me one of the WTH? moments this season on bottom looks).

That combined with my comparison of his and Korto's collections is why I felt he shouldn't have been a repeat winner.

The runways themselves - I'll concede that they were very close overall, but I still am bugged that a design that is clearly from an era (the aforementioned white one that looked like a 60s dress just flared out) was in there and didn't really - to me anyway - get dinged.

But I just felt that his win this time was forced to ensure Lifetime didn't have to do more than lip service to Bravo by continuing to cast folks from those seasons... their network, so Lifetime will most likely ALWAYS make sure that it's one of their competitors who wins. I've felt this way with all except *maybe* the first one with Austin and Mondo. That one I truly felt it was either's game they were that evenly matched.

Then again - even there we knew Mondo would most likely win after his (justifiable we're upset) loss to Gretchen with her ready to wear retro stuff that doesn't look it line.

I do feel that AR's win was unjustified (he didn't have the best collection - not by far), and Seth Aaron I think again it was to ensure they didn't have to say that Bravo had the better designers (who must have also had better long term success or those who at least have some success thank the company for giving them their start but Lifetime not getting such cred.)

I don't know, it's just that while SA it at least a worth winner, I cannot get over the opinion that Lifetime just simply will NOT accept anyone but one of their own as being a winner of this competition. That is also why I maintain that the Bravo contestants who could still enter should politely say "no" to an all-stars season...

... Or if they do be intentionally bad (even decent/good ones) to put the thumbscrews on folks to either truly eliminate them or see if they have to be held from "drama" sake and show how fake the show is on Lifetime. Yes, reality shows do get edited, but this season just felt ridiculous with three winners on it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I liked SA's final collection more than Korto's. I really liked her first and last looks, but I agreed with the judges about her structured stuff. I didn't like the half peplums and weird shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those were elements from what is common in Liberian outfits. While I liked her white dress that pedlum was in a really weird place and made her model look really thick in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface View Post
    Well I'm in the minority. I haven't liked most of Seth Aaron's stuff this season, but I thought his runway show was the best. It seemed the best made and most polished, as well as imaginative. I like Korto, despite her sometimes off putting attitude, and wanted her to win, but as far as the runway show went, I had to give Seth credit.

Bingo, is exactly how to describe her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast