+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: 4/25 Project Runway 11 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie

Re: 4/25 Project Runway 11 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I may be wrong, but I heard that reality shows that involve a cash price can not be rigged. While the drama may be scripted or producer driven, the actual results cannot be preplanned. Isn't there even a government agency that protects the contestants?

I think I first heard about it when watching American Idol

Quote Originally Posted by krpink View Post
    I may be wrong, but I heard that reality shows that involve a cash price can not be rigged. While the drama may be scripted or producer driven, the actual results cannot be preplanned. Isn't there even a government agency that protects the contestants?

I think I first heard about it when watching American Idol
    That came about because of the quiz show scandals in the 50's (Twenty-One and The $64,000 Question) with certain contestants being fed correct answers because of their popularity. One contestant blew the whistle on them. Yes, $64,000 and $100,000 was a lot of money back then. It was carefully monitored for a long time after that, but I think enforcement has lapsed at least a little. With fans voting and and other types of manipulation, I don't believe any of them are truly innocent of rigging anymore. I stopped voting on DWTS years ago because I refuse to be manipulated by network producers and show runners, and that was the only show in which I ever voted. Now, I just watch to enjoy the dancing.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The fact that Michelle won kind of tells me the show isn't rigged. Heidi heavily favored Patricia when I felt she probably should have been gone from the show long before the final. I know Heidi doesn't have all the power, but she or any other judge favoring a contestant can only help them along. Favoritism certainly exists; one might say it's sort of organic to the process, but straight up rigging would seem a step too far for me to believe. I hope so anyway, as it would really bother me if I felt it was rigged.

We all know that reality tv must have its drama, therefore it must have its participants who are given to such. I also think they rely loads on background stories; ANTM comes to mind along with others. That said, I think Patricia might not have even been cast had she not been Native American. I do NOT mean for this to sound offensive to anybody. But being from such a diverse area, I have to say our state probably has many talented designers of different cultures and races who might have represented the state as well if not better than Patricia did. It's not about representing a state, per se, but I think my meaning is clear. I've just never really appreciated shows making a big deal out of any contestant's background story, regardless of ethnicity. I don't like a contestant to be favored because of it. I know it's sort of built in to the process but what can I say? I don't care too much for emotional background stories. Or for contestants who make a big deal out of it and cry a lot, lol.

On a lighter note, Heidi did look off somehow. Her makeup was bad. The lipstick was a bad color and her eye makeup did not appear to have been done well. I also did not like what she was wearing very much. She's a beautiful woman but she didn't look her best that night for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    Yes, I noticed Heidi. It was her eye makeup or lack of.
    Too harsh lipstick and not enough eye makeup. She looked unbalanced or something.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilymax View Post
    On a lighter note, Heidi did look off somehow. Her makeup was bad. The lipstick was a bad color and her eye makeup did not appear to have been done well. I also did not like what she was wearing very much. She's a beautiful woman but she didn't look her best that night for sure.
    I just watched the finale yesterday and I kept thinking the same thing! That hairstyle (if there was any "style" to it) plus the bright lipstick made her look awful. I kept expecting to catch a glimpse of a hairnet.

I guess the judges were right in assessing Stanley line as being done for "old ladies" - it was my favorite.

Was NOT a fan of Michelle. Disliked her snarkiness from the get-go, but I as it played out, I was happier with her as the winner when it could have been Patricia. I won't be buying any thing that any of them made so I guess my like or dislike of their designs matters not.

If it weren't for TIM GUNN, I'd have stopped watching eons ago!
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I think Dragonlady said it best that I felt Michelle didn't deserve the second chance over several of the other designers this season (Samantha is a good example).

And I feel had Patricia been voted the bottom look they wouldn't have done the save. If they felt Michelle's was better they should've saved her and voted out Patricia - even with the fact Michelle clearly didn't listen (minimum) to Nina's request, and her design WAS a bad choice of colors to photograph in.

I do feel it was planned - like many of the designers in the All-Stars season 2 that AR was planned to win - if not flat out rigged. They should've just done it that way and then if Michelle won then I wouldn't have felt it was (at least as much) producer planned.

Mind you I'm no fan of hers, but to me even Gretchen's win was fairer than this.
    jucamer likes this.

I realize that there exists laws that prevent anyone from rigging the show for a per-arranged finalist. But there are plenty of ways to manipulate who the winner is. Michele's "2nd Chance" was definitely one of those manipulations and I hate that.
    It wouldn't have mattered to me if either Patricia or Stanley won so it had nothing to do with wanting my favorite to win.
    Photobabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    That came about because of the quiz show scandals in the 50's (Twenty-One and The $64,000 Question) with certain contestants being fed correct answers because of their popularity. One contestant blew the whistle on them. Yes, $64,000 and $100,000 was a lot of money back then. It was carefully monitored for a long time after that, but I think enforcement has lapsed at least a little. With fans voting and and other types of manipulation, I don't believe any of them are truly innocent of rigging anymore. I stopped voting on DWTS years ago because I refuse to be manipulated by network producers and show runners, and that was the only show in which I ever voted. Now, I just watch to enjoy the dancing.
    Game shows that declare themselves to be games shows are still enforced. The way that some shows get around the regulations is to classify themselves as a "reality show" instead of a "game show" to the FCC. Big Brother does this, and as a result they aren't held to the same rules as game shows. I would imagine most primetime reality competition shows do the same thing.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I wondered what was wrong with Heidi's face in that episode. Was she pregnant when that was filmed? Her face looked swollen or something. It was like perhaps she slept on her face in some odd manner, hopped up real fast, got dressed and ran out the door with her face still being all swollen and dented.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Game shows that declare themselves to be games shows are still enforced. The way that some shows get around the regulations is to classify themselves as a "reality show" instead of a "game show" to the FCC. Big Brother does this, and as a result they aren't held to the same rules as game shows. I would imagine most primetime reality competition shows do the same thing.
    I think you're absolutely right. Shows such as Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and the like are still carefully monitored. Reality shows are a whole different ballgame.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast