+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 1/31 PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 1/31 PR11 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I guess the members of Dream Team are too young to associate that moniker to OJ Simpson's team of lawyers. Bad choice.
    Those lawyers (or the media, really) stole the term from the 1992 US Men's Olympic Basketball Team, so perhaps the designers reappropriating it.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am disappointed with this team concept. At first I thought, well maybe but nope; it hampers each ones creativity.

See my post last week about "individuals and creativity". I couldn't agree with you more.

I didnt like anything last night. Why on earth would anyone choose brown?
    For once, I agreed with the judges. I loved the winning looks and hated the losers.

In real life, you work on a team but your team has been carefully chosen and knows their role. They are not trying to win a competition.
    Remember when Lifetime used to do that show featuring the overweight former PR designer? It perfectly illustrated what you were talking about. He was the designer, he accepted the clients, he had the overall vision for each look. Each member of his team certainly contributed (hair, accessories), but they still had to subordinate their ideas to his vision. That's how fashion works, not "everybody stick their oar in so we come up with crud."

I hope they stop the team theme soon or at the very least scramble them somehow.

That was the problem on The Fashion Show, or at least the one season I tried to watch. I gave up after a few episodes, because the same team kept losing and having their designers chopped. It was painfully clear that the weaker designers needed to be mixed in with the stronger ones, but the judges showed no signs of doing that. PR is rapidly heading in that direction, since Real is clearly able to work much better together.

I noticed they did not say that Susan would choose the winning outfit and implement it. Susan probably refused, good move girl!
    I hope she did. The judges were spot on that those were great looks and perfect for her club. Heck, I would go play ping-pong at her club to see those looks. And just because she didn't say it doesn't mean she didn't implement them. After all, why bother to rave about them? That sounded like genuine praise, not "this is the best I could get out of all these designers?".

And Allie, I had the same reaction at first. "Ping-pong? Okayyy." By the end, though, I kind of liked it.

We have not seen anyone's personal style represented and I was looking forward to that from audition episode.

Same here. I loved the different styles that we saw in the auditions, but overall these challenges have been blah.

Certainly during filming they realized this format was not great, I hope.

We could only hope. It will probably stick around, though, just for the drama of the teams fighting each other.
    Shoepie likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

It was getting on my nerves BIG TIME how Patricia kept pronouncing "leggings" as "leggins". Hello, the G is not silent! Pronounce it right!!

As much as I liked Daniel and Layana's outfit (or, more correctly, the outfit Layana helped Daniel make), I thought Joseph and Richard's outfit should have won because it was the most innovative and practical. They really thought outside the box and created what could become a signature look for Spin. I think the only reason they weren't chosen as the winners is because they wouldn't specify who should take credit for it. Instead of quibbling over who deserved it more, the judges decided to give it to Layana.

It was very nice of Daniel to throw Layana over the bus (I suppose that's what it's called since he did the opposite of throwing her under the bus) but truthfully, I thought he deserved to win again. I don't think she would have come up with that idea on her own or been able to execute it as well as he did.

Cindy's fatal flaw is not that she's a bad designer. She just doesn't seem to know how to make outfits to fit the occasion. She makes whatever she wants regardless of whether it meets the client or the occasion.

I liked that they had the designers work at the club prior to making the outfits. Too often on reality shows, they have the contestants work at a place where a challenge is being held and it has no relevance to their task but in this case, if the designers paid attention, that experience would give them a great advantage when they started constructing outfits to fit the needs of the staff.

I wanted to smack James after they left the runway when he told his team that their loss was due to not working as a team. He was the one who went off and worked on his own when the rest of the team was trying to collaborate with him on his design. I'm glad he's gone since he's definitely not a team player.

To be succinct:

1. The winning team had a cohesive look and deserved to win. Even the sports bar look was good, though I'm not sure about the back. The ping pong ball boy one really is cute (yes they're a men's costume but they are cute).

2. The losing team's - gosh the only one I liked was Michelle's piece (that first one). The kilt was nice, but seriously, this is a men's outfit and "Balls are my business" at the crotch is tactless. I dare say the kilt was too short too. And the shot with the circle in the back (a ping pong ball)... looks like the guy got shot and is bleeding orange at its placement.

Seriously - there is no question in my mind that if the teams stay the same the team that's lost twice now will be Pagonged faster than Pagong.
    pikachu and Babbred like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post

As much as I liked Daniel and Layana's outfit (or, more correctly, the outfit Layana helped Daniel make), I thought Joseph and Richard's outfit should have won because it was the most innovative and practical. They really thought outside the box and created what could become a signature look for Spin. I think the only reason they weren't chosen as the winners is because they wouldn't specify who should take credit for it. Instead of quibbling over who deserved it more, the judges decided to give it to Layana.

That's exactly what I thought.

It was very nice of Daniel to throw Layana over the bus (I suppose that's what it's called since he did the opposite of throwing her under the bus) but truthfully, I thought he deserved to win again. I don't think she would have come up with that idea on her own or been able to execute it as well as he did.

"Over the bus". I like that.

I wanted to smack James after they left the runway when he told his team that their loss was due to not working as a team. He was the one who went off and worked on his own when the rest of the team was trying to collaborate with him on his design. I'm glad he's gone since he's definitely not a team player.

I wanted to smack him on the runway when he made that remark "I'm an artist, not commercial." In front of an A-list celebrity? I was SO glad that Zac Posen struck him down. "Fashion is a mix of art and commercial. That's why it's not classified as a fine art." Great!
    Shoepie and justCoz like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Wasn't really crazy about any of the pieces. Had to agree with Heidi (partially, anyways) when she said you don't want to see parts of your waitresses anatomy exposed. I don't want to see those same parts exposed on my dining companion either, but maybe that's just me.

I am rather partial to a man in a kilt and I didn't think it was that bad. A bit too gaudy/gauche with the slogan placed where it was, but then again, the slogan itself is a bit raw.

The guy who was sent packing (James?) didn't seem to have the talent/skill to back-up the ego he has. I think the right choice was made because, even though the blazer wasn't appropriate for the setting, it was at least well made.

Can somebody please tell me . . . . . just what the h%&& Samantha was wearing during the runway portion?
    Shoepie and wannasee like this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfan55 View Post
    Someone help me. Who in the world does Benjamin from Sydney look/walk/act like?
    Is it someone from a previous season? An actor? Who? I just can't place it
    Bringing this up from last week because I finally realized myself who he reminds me of . . . . Kyle Cool who's in the band Matchbox Twenty with Rob Thomas.

Kyle Cool MB20.jpg
    cubsfan55 likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Am I the only one who thinks Benjamin behaves like a pompas a**?
    Shoepie likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    I am rather partial to a man in a kilt and I didn't think it was that bad.
    Ha! I'm with you. It takes a read dude to pull off the kilt look, and I thought for sure Susan was going to go for it (sans the tackiness).

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew View Post
    Bringing this up from last week because I finally realized myself who he reminds me of . . . . Kyle Cool who's in the band Matchbox Twenty with Rob Thomas.
    And that was cool pic, Sew&Sew! While it wasn't who I personally was thinking of, I love your choice for Benjamin's doppelganger!
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobabe View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks Benjamin behaves like a pompas a**?
    No, you are not the only one, Photobabe. I think he is talented, but he gets on my last nerve.

I kind of think he looks something like actor Rhys Ifans.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast