+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 1/3 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 1/3 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

There are many dogs and other animals that are now called "therapy animals". My husband works at the Post Office and he has one lady that comes in all the time with her "therapy chicken". Uh...okay. To each his own, I guess. :-/

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie View Post
    There are many dogs and other animals that are now called "therapy animals". My husband works at the Post Office and he has one lady that comes in all the time with her "therapy chicken". Uh...okay. To each his own, I guess. :-/
    I got interested, so I did a little on-line checking. According to the most recent revision of the ADA's rules about assistance animals, a "therapy chicken" would not qualify. If the post office wished to refuse to let the woman bring in her chicken it could, but perhaps they just don't want to bother with doing so.

Knowingly passing off an animal as an assistance dog who is not actually needed as such can come with a hefty fine as well, since it's illegal to do so in all fifty states--in some states, the fine can be as much as $10,000.
    jucamer and Babbred like this.

If Joshua had the worst dress, I really think he would have gone home but he did so well in this challenge that he won. After seeing their work on the runway, I knew that Anthony and Emilio would be the bottom 2. I also knew that the judges both love Anthony and Emilio so they did the easy way out by sending them both to the finals. This episode was just a feel good episode because of the theme so they didn't send anyone home. They also didn't say that next week is part 1 of the finale. Does that mean that we have another episode to compensate for this cop-out episode so they can get rid of Joshua?

I hated both dresses made by Anthony and Emilio. If i had to choose, they should have sent Anthony home with that mumu. It's very unflattering to his model. Although both designs lacked creativity, I feel that Anthony failed his client more. I am also not a fan of this challenge. Being the last 4 left I think it would have been more interesting if they were asked to do a design based on a theme meant for the finale. Something that they will show on Fashion Week. Perhaps a show piece. That way, the judges will be able to judge based on what they would expect from the designer at Fashion Week. They will eliminate the design that would be least interesting to them and put through designers whose work they want to see more of based on that challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    Technically, there's a loophole in current ADA laws that allow people to get by with what your friend does, but it can create problems for people who actually rely on active service dogs. Your friend's dog may behave perfectly nicely in public, but there are organizations that basically sell service dog certifications for a price, and those dogs end up being identified as service dogs in public too, and when they misbehave, they cause people to distrust actual service animals, which can create problems for people who really do need their service animals with them as they go about their days.
    I know someone who does this with her Yorkie - just because she can't go anywhere without him. Her doctor gave her a letter and he got the "service" dog title (even though she doesn't have a real need for one). Somehow that just seems so wrong Just like the people who have a handicap sign (though they are perfectly healthy) dangling from the rearview just to park closer to the mall entrance.
    Allie and Babbred like this.

Oh come on!
    Allie likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Regarding the service dog discussion, one of the coolest & most heartwarming story I heard about was a program called "Puppies Behind Bars" where prisoners who are veterans themselves train service dogs for vets coming home. Here's a recent article in the WaPo about the program, if you're interested. Md. prisoners training puppies to become service dogs for veterans - Rosenwald, Md. - The Washington Post

As for the fashions, AR should have been sent packing. I wouldn't wear strapless usually, but when I was in my sister's wedding years ago, I actually went with the strapless dress out of the three options I had. I got a solid strapless bra and, as I hate my upper arms, borrowed a fancy wrap (which was also functional as it was rainy and cold). It was a cute dress but it didn't billow out on the bottom like some beachwear disaster, as AR's did, and was a solid color which avoided the "HEY LOOK AT MY CHEST" color thing AR's had going on. Count me in on the conspiracy theorists...this season is designed for an AR win. Poor Uli.
    Photobabe likes this.

Maybe for this lady hanging with her chicken is therapeutic therefore she calls it her therapy chicken. I for one would not bother this lady about her chicken.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Maybe for this lady hanging with her chicken is therapeutic therefore she calls it her therapy chicken. I for one would not bother this lady about her chicken.
    Yeah, she might throw an egg at you.
    NCLurker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    I know someone who does this with her Yorkie - just because she can't go anywhere without him. Her doctor gave her a letter and he got the "service" dog title (even though she doesn't have a real need for one). Somehow that just seems so wrong Just like the people who have a handicap sign (though they are perfectly healthy) dangling from the rearview just to park closer to the mall entrance.

Thank you. I was debating whether to say this. As I mentioned above, I have blind friend who uses a seeing eye dog. Legitimate blind service dogs are literally raised from puppyhood to become one. Once a puppy is selected, it's placed with a family that agrees to be monitored by the organization. This is to ensure that the puppy is being socialized properly in order to live in close contact with humans. And then of course there's the long hours training the dog to work with a blind person, not to mention training once a a dog and person have been matched. And legitimate organizations put prospective clients through a rigorous screening process. I remember somebody told me once that "blind people with dogs always seem so happy and not bitter!" I repeated this remark to my friend and he told me, "That's because we're a very small group. To get picked for a dog, you have to demonstrate that you have the desire and confidence to live a normal life. By definition, then, you're not going to be very bitter."

I'm just saying all this to elaborate on Jucamer's point. I think it's morally wrong for somebody to put their dog through this just because they want to act like Paris Hilton. It feels like a spit in the eye to people like my friend and his dog, or anybody who has a legitimate disability and a dog to help them.
    jucamer likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    As for the fashions, AR should have been sent packing. It was a cute dress but it didn't billow out on the bottom like some beachwear disaster, as AR's did, and was a solid color which avoided the "HEY LOOK AT MY CHEST" color thing AR's had going on. Count me in on the conspiracy theorists...this season is designed for an AR win. Poor Uli.
    When I was a little girl and my friends and I would Dress-Up on our mother's clothes......If we didn't have what we wanted, we could always wrap a sheet, towel or piece of material around us......And these would look just like AR's design....make it strapless, wrap it around and use something to tie the waist.
    And let's not forget that she requested the bust line to be De-emphasized!!!
    There was nothing...absolutely nothing that was good about that dress. And yet, he was safe...........
    I guess I'm interested in why he has been chosen to be the winner this year?
    Yes, poor Uli.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast