+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 1/3 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

Re: 1/3 All Stars 2 - Show Discussion *West Coast Spoilers*

I was keeping my eyes open with toothpicks to see who got aufed. I knew this was going to happen! Oh well at least my head designer did not go down with a Big Bird yellow dress. That is a dress I would wear but....not in yellow!

I did love Uli's but I am too short to wear it. Josh's was cute too but I am too thin to wear it. I will not discuss AR's dress...if one can call it a dress.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I had a feeling nobody was going home this week. For one thing, with the nature of the clients, they weren't going to tear into any of the designers about their outfits for fear that it would come across as an insult to the client ("Her boobs aren't hidden--they look huge!!"). Plus, it would have been Anthony Ryan's head on the chopping block and I don't think they're willing to lose him yet over one bad design.

I really wish Uli had used a purple fabric as her client requested, or done like Josh did and dyed the print she used. I'm so tired of seeing white/monotone from her. Ditto with Emilio and yellow. I'll have to start calling him Emilyellow if he makes one more yellow outfit.
    Last edited by pikachu; 01-04-2013 at 12:25 PM.
    wannasee likes this.

FORT Fogey

AR just doesn't have the confidence or experience to discuss what would work best on a client. His fabric was hideous!

Uli has not been making dresses like the one last night, this season. She has been doing a lot of white and feathers. i like her style and skill. Her easy going and kind personality is a pleasure to watch, as well.

Yes, I know service dogs are for many things. Just musing about this woman. She would not be in the Army with epilepsy, diabetes, etc.

I didn't see all of the show, but from what I saw, thought the service dog was was for PTSD.

I thought it was fun that Uli's client immediately told her that her mom said she should take Uli if she could...then to say that she wanted what Uli was wearing was precious. This made Uli feel light and breezy because she could make a classic Uli dress with no stress. I, too, wish though that she had found a purple print rather than the gray and white. When the women were leaving the dressing room at the end of the episode, Uli's client said, "And I love the dress." Go ULI!!!

I've hated Josh's designs all season and then he comes up with terrific design that blows me away.

With Emilio's design, the left and the right parts of the bodice were mis-matched. The client's right arm crinkled the fabric as it went under, while the fabric didn't bunch under her left. He had too little time to make the adjustments, but still...

In trying to please his client, Anthony Ryan only made her perceived problem area look worse. She had sustained an injury and had gained weight with inactivity that she had yet to lose. She would normally be large busted, but the weight gain made it more prominent and I can see where she would want to hide it. However, the white banding pulled tight across the top was not the answer; neither were the feel safe white straps in a vee. This was a problem he couldn't address in the time allotted.

I am glad all four are going to PARIS! For me it will be seeing the architecture as well as how they approach design in a city known for couture.

P.S. I am aware about restraining from petting service dogs and I thought the dog was handled respectfully.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

There are service dogs known specifically as "balance dogs" that are used to help people whose disabilities include potential issues with balance. Personally, I'd be more likely to trust a balance dog than a cane--they're a lot more solid and may actually care whether you fall or not. An inanimate object wouldn't.

But the service dog may have been used for any number of other issues. Service dogs are also used for PTSD, though it did not sound as if the veteran in question saw a lot of frontline combat. And mutts can indeed be used as service dogs. In fact, the first bill Sen. Al Franken of Minnesota co-sponsored was a bill that called for the use of dogs from shelters--regardless of breeding--to be trained as service dogs for veterans. Real win-win situation, since the dogs got a second chance and the veterans got service dogs much more cheaply. Of course, since then, there have been some problems with on-base housing trying to refuse to allow service dogs, including those used by veterans suffering from PTSD. Go figure that one out. Also, depending on the job the service dog needs to do, size makes no difference. Service dogs for deaf people may be quite small breeds, for instance, especially if that person, say, lives in an apartment or has some other reason that a smaller dog is a better match for him/her. Some service dogs also get their basic obedience training in prison. Some prison programs train shelter dogs to make them more adoptable too.

I also knew a woman in college who had a seeing eye dog who was half golden retriever and half black lab. That particular dog caused terrible issues for me, because I knew I wasn't to touch him when he was on duty, and I didn't. Unfortunately, he also seemed to know that I was a sucker for a dog, and he would do things like put his head down next to my hand and nudge it. I didn't give in, but it was awfully hard to ignore him. Understand that he didn't do that while he was leading her anywhere. Just if we happened to be sitting next to each other at, say, chapel.

IMO, both Emilio and Anthony Ryan should have been sent home. Both those dresses were disasters!!! Keeping them both was just....wrong.
    I thought Josh's dress was outstanding.... YAY for him and his "client".
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't think Emilio's dress was bad. It was right for the occasion (a bachelerette party in Vegas) and his client wanted it to be yellow. I couldn't tell how the craftsmenship was from my tv so I'd have to take the judges' word on it that there were some flaws. The only outfit that I thought was bad was Anthony Ryan's. There were so many things wrong with that dress, I don't know how Isaac could defend it so strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I didn't think Emilio's dress was bad. It was right for the occasion (a bachelerette party in Vegas) and his client wanted it to be yellow. I couldn't tell how the craftsmenship was from my tv so I'd have to take the judges' word on it that there were some flaws. The only outfit that I thought was bad was Anthony Ryan's. There were so many things wrong with that dress, I don't know how Isaac could defend it so strongly.

I didn't think Emilio's dress was bad, just boring. It's the same thing he did last week without the ribbons. However, you're right. It fit the client's occasion and desire, so he gets a pass.

Speaking of occasions, as the daughter of an Army officer, I also wondered about the wisdom of wearing a Shirley-Temple dress to a formal military occasion. However, it did look pretty, and obviously Josh's client was over the moon with happiness, so I didn't mind him winning.

Uli did a great job, as usual.

Everybody else has picked apart AR's fug ugly dress, so I won't bother. Just know that I agree with everything that's been said here about it. And yeah, AR is extremely lucky. If this hadn't of been the feel good veteran's episode, the judges would have savaged him. Not only Kors, but Heidi probably would have said a few choice words, too. I will always love that woman for snapping at Vin after all his whinging about not being able to design for real women. AR didn't have the same atrocious attitude, but he did show a complete lack of skill at listening and designing for said real woman.

As for the veteran lady with the dog, I would guess that she needs one because she suffered brain damage. Remember, she told Josh that she had had a blood clot which migrated to her brain, nearly killing her? That's why they had to chop off her leg. Who knows what other damage the clot caused? As somebody said, she might be prone to seizures now.

As for petting Isaac, I don't think it was a big deal in this context. The client was a very friendly lady, and so she might have understood or even thought it was cute. Bear in mind also that service dogs are not robots. I have stood and chatted with a blind friend while his dog sniffed around and even ate stray things on the floor. I've also noticed that his dog always perks up when people walk nearby. IOW, it's still a dog.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    As for petting Isaac, I don't think it was a big deal in this context. The client was a very friendly lady, and so she might have understood or even thought it was cute. Bear in mind also that service dogs are not robots. I have stood and chatted with a blind friend while his dog sniffed around and even ate stray things on the floor. I've also noticed that his dog always perks up when people walk nearby. IOW, it's still a dog.
    No, I know - but if it is for say seizures one would want the dog to be alert all the time. Learned that from a Corgi - who was SO GOOD that when the owner wanted me to pet said dog and told dog the "take a break" word... STILL stayed on full alert. (No, she wasn't in danger of a seizure - the dog was just that well trained.)

I think though that it was OK in retrospect if only because if it wasn't they'd either not used the footage of him petting the dog or reshot the scene to alert people about etiquette regarding service dogs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast