+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

Re: 12/27 All-Stars 2 - Show Discussion

Uli was robbed! LOVED her dress no matter the color.

I agree about Joanna's outfit. Simply horrible! I actually felt sorry for her and I bet she was shocked at how bad she looked when she watched the show. Love her!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I wondered if Joanna was wearing a new style of maternity wear - not only does it hug the belly and show pride in pregnancy, it EMPHASIZES it and draws the eye to it. It was NOT a good look.
    Bearcata likes this.

To the Point

I was surprised by how well Uli's dress looked on the runway because I did not like the material. I thought I was very attractive. That being said, I still liked AR's best. Just a matter of taste. I actually liked the original design much more than the production design.

My first thought upon seeing Joanna was, "Is she pregnant?"

Is she? If not, yowza--bad fashion choice.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    I think Emilio got bad advice. His design that made the runway got too simple. The original design was still simple but looked more interesting

Needless to say, last week's top 3 were the right top 3 since the show started. They are the top again 3 this week and should be in the finale. 4th place I should probably give it not to Joshua but to Casanova. It doesn't really matter if you didn't make the finale as long as you made the top 6 as they all will show in Fashion Week.

FYI, Anthony Ryan's winning look actually was edited out for the production version:

Project Runway Fan

Although simpler, I think it looks more elegant. However, I don't think it would have appealed as much with the judges (and would not have given him the win) as they thought Emilio's dress was too boring when he made it simpler than it should based on the advice of Mr. Tahari.
    Thanks for that link! what a great site....enjoyed it .

Thank you! A lot of this is my thoughts, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I finally had some down time and watched this today and I have to say that I think I'm pretty fed up with Project Runway....I won't stop watching but probably will complain more.

First of all, since this is called All-Stars, I expect better quality from these designers....I know they don't have a lot of time but still.....it looks like they are recent graduates of Home Ec...not even Design School.
    So many seem to be very poorly put together....shouldn't there be a higher quality of skill here?

Amen. I thought that as soon as they announced these designers in the commercials. The only one I looked forward to seeing again was Casanova, and that was mainly for his personality. I must, say, however, that I've changed my mind about Uli. She has become my favorite of this bunch and if life were fair, she would win. Alas, it's not, so I'm sure another Lifetime designer will win. And you're spot on about the quality of the dresses. Except for Uli and AR, who the heck has produced anything decent here?

Emilio seems to have this reputation of being great....I haven't seen that...where is his greatness? The grosgrain ribbons on this dress were barely sewn on...they were popping up away from the dress. It was an Ok dress at best.

Ivy got away with material that had a gorgeous design and therefore, Ivy didn't use any creativeness whatsoever. Boring, except for what she was given. She deserved to go because as gorgeous as that material was, she made it look frumpy and awful.
    All I could see was goldfish swimming in a blue bowl.

The material was gorgeous, but the dress was terrible. "I don't want to ruin the print." So you just cut a slit in it and throw it on your model like a potato sack? Oh, please. That print deserved far more. Tahari was right. She should have shortened the skirt or even made it into a blouse.

Josh: An All Star who can't put in a zipper correctly??? He should be able to know how to use a zipper in any kind of material...and the bodice was ridiculous...you could tell he didn't know what he was going to do for quite awhile. And I'm soooo tired of his affectations with his way of speaking...it makes him sound so immature and not to be taken seriously. He needs to grow up in a lot of ways.
    Oh my gosh, I was so mad. I wish they had had a double elimination this week. Talk about ruining a fabric. That color was beautiful, and he absolutely destroyed it with his atrocious sewing. Since we could only have a single elimination, then Josh barely beat out Hivy in my book. Not sewing a dress is laziness. Ruining a dress with bad sewing, especially in an All-Star show, is even worse, though, IMO.

Anthony is talented and skilled but this time I feel he won mostly because he had fabulous material to work with...but at least he knew that and used the material to enhance the design, which was very simple but perfect for it to shine as a winner. Ivy could have learned from the way he used a design to it's best advantage.

Uli's was beautiful in a quiet simple design...as one poster said, it could have been done in any color/fabric...it was a classic design that could flatter most women. I thought she should have won for her design whereas AR had the advantage of the material helping him win. But then, I have to give him credit for picking such wonderful material.

Kudos to both of them for great dresses. I wish they could have had a double win. Uli's dress was more to my taste, but that's strictly my personal taste. AR chose a lovely fabric and paired it with a simple yet elegant design that fit the challenge.

And the judges often seem to talk such nonsense...I know they are somewhat scripted about what to say...so many negatives vs positives....but it's like they can't even say something negative because they're so afraid of offending these people who produced very poor products....For $500-700, I'd expect quality and I saw it in Uli's and Anthony's only.

Again, amen.

And what about Joanna's dress? Usually I love her clothes and I love her style. But this was hideous....that white skirt thing made her look like a little pot belly pig....nothing like what she really looks like...It just didn't seem like her style at all.

Could somebody post a pic of her dress? I was so busy staring at Josh's trainwreck I didn't really notice Joanna.

Can you tell I'm sorely disappointed in this show? It does anger me that we are given such tripe after what we used to be shown...in the beginning...before Lifetime killed it.

(sigh) That's why I'm hoping, hoping, things will get a little better with next season. This could be interesting since they're shaking things up by having teams compete.

Ok, a rant about the pricing here. $500-700? Seriously? As somebody mentioned above, I bought my wedding dress for about that much. I almost didn't buy it, though, because I thought it was silly to spend so much money on a dress for a one-off occasion. Unless you're Joanna Cole, who in the heck could spend that kind of money just for a simple working dress? I work as a teacher. Who am I supposed to dazzle with that kind of purchase--my students?

And who was it who said they enjoyed the challenge more of trying to find lower-cost items that will go together to make a great outfit? Right on!

And that reminds me. I meant to post this when LK got eliminated. You remember way back when Hivy told Casanova that LK was always going on about the private schools she attended and how she shopped at Neiman-Marcus? Well, I can understand Hivy's frustration. I've got a co-worker like that. Family spoils her rotten and so she's always blathering about the fancy designer stuff they buy her. Nobody likes her, so I can totally understand why the other "I'm starving for my art" designers might not have liked LK. And after the snotty way that LK treated Uli last week, I was SO glad to see the back of her. I was so praying her snippy comments would the loser's edit and for once I got my wish!
    jucamer likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Wow. Talk about something that could have been made in a home ec class. The fabric was nice, but there was NO difficulty in this product, and I would NEVER pay $398 for something I could make myself in one day.

I think it is an insane amount too but we here will probably never know that life. There are people who spend insane amounts of money they don't have in the name of fashion. Wasn't that what Carrie Bradshaw taught us???? I really don't understand how they do it at all. My oldest son's friends have designer bags & multiple pairs of Uggs while I walk around in $40 F'Uggs but hey they keep my feet warm and dry so I don't really care at all.
    I personally think it was cray-cray that my son spent over $250 for my Michael Kors purse...I want him to return it. That would pay my heating bill for January.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Could somebody post a pic of her dress? I was so busy staring at Josh's trainwreck I didn't really notice Joanna.
    Here's a shot of the skirt. Yes, it was THAT bad.

Capture.jpg

What in the heck is that? Joanna, Joanna, normally I love you but... You look like you're advertising Subway there. (Remember that commercial where everything was busting loose because the people were way too fat? Exactly. )
    Bearcata and AZChristian like this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Yes, I'm still in shock, seeing Joanna in that hideous outfit...she must have lost a bet because it's so Anti-Joanna Style....

Here in So Cal, spending lots and lots on clothes, bags, shoes is common...keeping up w/the Jones is also another past time here.... some things are definitely worth their price and it depends on what you truly want or need.
    Like I can understand buying a designer bag ( I have them) but I have NEVER understood buying Louis Vuitton luggage for bag handlers to toss around....why would anyone do that?

Also I didn't know Laura Kathleen came from money...her attitude seems to fit that background but her taste level sure didn't. I would never guess her background, given what she produced....guess you can't teach some things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast