+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 9/13 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/13 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Ven's looks better from the distance in the photo, but I see nothing wrong with Gunnar's jacket...actually Elena's looks the worst...cheap and ordinary
    Last edited by ibot2much; 09-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

I loved Dmitry's jacket. Didn't doubt that he could do something besides a dress, but I'm relieved that he's finally proved it. I've always been a fan of red and black together, although the judges have said in past episodes they don't like it. Doesn't stop me from wearing the combo myself!

Elena's really did look like a smock/scrubs . . . like something you'd see a child care provider wearing because it hides a multitude of stains.

Sonjia's pants were nice, but they reminded me - a lot - of the pants Mondo made when he had the make-your-own-fabric challenge. A big bold print made into pants that only a limited number of body types can wear.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Sonjia sews her garments (most times) so incredibly well. If the spoilers I've seen are correct, I just can't imagine what goes wrong in the next few episodes that keep her from the Final Three

If Gunnar had tailored his jacket a bit more, I think Ven might have gone home. It didn't fit the model. Granted, she wasn't swimming it hers like Elena's model ususaly is, but it was too big/loose. Gunnar has never been a favorite. I disliked him in the beginning, but as Elena got even bitchier and Ven proved himself to be an a$$, Gunnar moved up several notches.

Given his attitude on the make-over challenge, I was surprised to see that Ven's sister is a plus-sized woman. Since the episodes are filmed long before they are shown, I am guessing she had not seen or heard of his attitude towards Terri Herlihy. Hoping he got a tongue-lashing and a butt-kicking from his sister when she saw how he acted.
    wannasee likes this.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Fogey

I have said this before...I think Ven has a personality disorder. He is unable to shift his thoughts or POV and unable to filter himself. If he thinks it, he says it regardless of how inappropriate . I remember him saying after winning a challenge that he should have won the previous week too. He has minimal personality and if he has something to say it is about himself.

The fact that he continues to do the same dress is amazing. They told him repeatedly, yet he ignores them. He almost seemed confused yesterday in that he may have been trying to do something else, but he COULD NOT. The dress was an utter disaster...even to putting the tiny rose on the bottom. Why would a normal person do that when he was trying to work with the other flower theme. It was like he could not stop himself from including this fixation...and that is the perfect word. He may have a rose signature, but it now appears to be a fixation.
    Last edited by ibot2much; 09-14-2012 at 01:10 PM.

FORT Fogey

Thanks to AZ Christian who posted in the Ven thread. I just saw it now....post #48 contains some interesting information
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    Ven's looks better from the distance in the photo, but I see nothing wrong with Gunnar's jacket...actually Elena's looks the worst...cheap and ordinary
    I agree about Elena's "scrubs." The only thing that was missing was matching pants, and the model would have been perfectly dressed to go to her second job as a receptionist at a pediatrician's office.
    Photobabe and Babbred like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My favorite part of this episode was Tim being called in during the judging. I wish he could be included on the judging panel! But then I could see why he's not. It's helpful to the contestants to have him in the workroom to give them critiques and enable them to fix their designs before judging. Since he's not a judge, he can remain impartial.

I couldn't tell what Elena's pattern was on the show. Looking at pictures of the fabric at the official website, it's a grafitti print that has "Elena was here!!!" and "+ Maya". How does her pattern have anything to do with her culture?? Is grafitti her cultural heritage? I don't know why the judges decided she should be safe this week instead of in the bottom.

I'm bored with this season. I'm not thrilled with any of the designers and don't care too much who wins. I sure hope they get better contestants for next season, or that they do some tweaks to the show to make it possible for the designers to do more impressive work.
    Last edited by pikachu; 09-14-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Wow...I don't think Gunner could ever have won but in this one, I'd have seen him stay over Ven, hands-down. He really turned around my opinion of him and I loved that he left with a smile and that he and Christopher got past the "hate on sight" feelings of the early episodes. Loved Dmitry's look overall but kind of did agree in this case that for how well Sonjie worked that pattern, she should have won. (Also thought Gunner should stay over Ven for much the same reason; at least he had a pattern.) Melissa's I would wear - very successful, though I'd like more sleeve. Elena...I think the "culture" part was the little churches? Didn't even notice that's what those were at first, until I saw the spire or whatever that steeple part is called. Really enjoyed seeing everyone with their loved ones and at least Elena can admit she's being a bitch, even if it's in the context of "I'm not usually a bitch." Nice to see her mother pull out a happier version.
    Babbred likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I couldn't tell what Elena's pattern was on the show. Looking at pictures of the fabric at the official website, it's a grafitti print that has "Elena was here!!!" and "+ Maya". How does her pattern have anything to do with her culture?? Is grafitti her cultural heritage? I don't know why the judges decided she should be safe this week instead of in the bottom.
    If she is from East/West Germany (or any part of the former Iron Curtain) it could - the Berlin Wall had some serious graffiti on it.

It's still a better print than Fabio's "uterus/penis/ovaries" design (BTW his words, not mine) which just looks like (mostly) kiddie scribbles in dark colors on a dark background.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    My favorite part of this episode was Tim being called in during the judging. I wish he could be included on the judging panel! But then I could see why he's not. It's helpful to the contestants to have him in the workroom to give them critiques and enable them to fix their designs before judging. Since he's not a judge, he can remain impartial.

At first I LOL at Tim's comments. The more I thought about it, though, the more I felt uncomfortable. Like you said, I think Tim should remain behind-the-scenes so that the designers can feel safe when they make mistakes. The only time this becomes a problem is when somebody abuses that, like Ven with his normal client. THAT should have been reported.

Pardon this interruption for MFWalkoff:

This is entering shark-jumping territory. I've had a problem with Lifetime-era PR all along, and tonight is a perfect example why. Unlike the Bravo years, they want to make "good TV" more than they want to have an honest competition. And it's just so obvious, yet they keep expecting us to swallow it like the Bravo years never happened. Luckily I have the DVDs and the Style channel so I can still see this show's Golden Age...
    Totally agree. I'm thinking about asking for the DVD's for Christmas so I can stop watching the show.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Pikachu :

I'm bored with this season. I'm not thrilled with any of the designers and don't care too much who wins. I sure hope they get better contestants for next season, or that they do some tweaks to the show to make it possible for the designers to do more impressive work.

Amen. We'll probably keep saying that until the seasons is over. And just because everybody shows at FW doesn't mean everybody will become successful. I hope the women of America boycott Ven, no matter where he ended up on the show.

Speaking of which, I disagree with you, Ibot. I thought Ven's dress looked worse from a distance. It looked like my 1-year-old nephew put his jelly-covered hands all over the blouse. And I died laughing when Tim made those comments back in the workroom. I wonder if Tim said what he did because he was angry at Ven and wanted to single him out. As somebody said last week after the preview, it seemed out of character for Tim to be that vulgar. As for me, I might said something like "That dress looks like the paint smock my 4-year-old niece wears at preschool--and that's not a good thing."

AZChristian said:

I agree about Elena's "scrubs." The only thing that was missing was matching pants, and the model would have been perfectly dressed to go to her second job as a receptionist at a pediatrician's office.

My aunt is a receptionist in a doctor's office who wears scrubs all the time. I couldn't agree with you more!
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

General thoughts and observations . . .

Like quite a few of the rest of you, I LOVED Tim being called onto the judging floor regarding Ven's penchant for rose/origami clothing. The FIRST time, I loved it. The SECOND time, I felt: "Interesting! OK." The THIRD time, I said: "OK! CAN WE GET OFF this train, now? Been here, DONE this!!!!

I DO love me a rose, or two, but as far as clothing goes, ENOUGH WAS ENOUGH!!!!!!!

And I was REALLY done after he dissed Terri SO badly in the "Fix My Friend" challenge.

Far as I'm concerned, TPTB AND the judges let down all of the designers and us as viewers by not having ripped Ven a new one (or at least given him a very clear on-the-floor-at-the-scene-of-the-crime warning) after the THIRD origami creation. However, I'll go ahead and give them a pass on that one because, perhaps, maybe they DID off-camera, and we just didn't see it.

But to NOT have ousted him after "Fix My Friend" was TOTALLY inexcusable. They TRULY let all of the other designers and us viewers down by not taking the ball and running with it when they had a clear shot to do so. And to NOT do so was tantamount to rewarding Ven's bad behavior towards Terri, as well.

I must admit again, though, that I DID enjoy Tim being called out to verify whether or not Ven'd been warned about the one-trick-pony deal he had going on. In all my time of watching PR, I don't EVER recall that happening before.

And, perhaps, to do it THAT way, TPTB are working with Karma to give Ven one of the most spectacular ousters in PR history.

I SURELY hope so.

Christopher - Underwhelmed. And, yet ANOTHER zipper-up-the back. Meh.

Dmitry - ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! Mondo may've won "All Stars", but that doesn't make him the be-all and end-all fashionista, so he needs to go somewhere, sit DOWN, and shut UP.

Elena - Didn't care for her print, at ALL. And sure, it was a slightly scaled-down silhouette, but it was basically her SAME boxy cut.

Fabio - Well, whoop-de-do. Looks like resurrected lounging pjs, to me.

Gunnar - The jacket seemed a bit large to me. But overall, I found it acceptable and liked it. He certainly shouldn't've been shown the door over it, I think.

Melissa - Gotta give it up to her. I'm not generally a dress person. But I REALLY liked this. The print, the dress itself, AND the styling. Very good!

Sonjia - Those pants were glorious! She absolutely nailed it with the cut and fit. And I liked the pairing of the jersey top with them, too. I "got" the print. Another "Very good!" rating for me.

Ven - Please. WAY past time to play another tune, Dude. And I thought the print was boring. And yes, I'm honest enough to admit that I LOVED what Tim said to him in the workroom to stop him dead in his tracks with his original design. WAY TO GO, TIM!!!!!

Maybe Ven's comeuppance is coming up soon??

We can only hope, watch and wait.
    pikachu and wannasee like this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast