+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: 8/23 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 8/23 Show Discussion Thread **West Coast Spoilers**

After watching all the Ven comments pieced together I just can't stand him even more than before.

'Project Runway' designer slams plus-size model, leaves her in tears - The Clicker
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I like what somebody said about this being the fastest turnaround ever on PR. Good grief, my head is still spinning. Gunnar and Ven completely changed places in my book.

On the positive side, I was so thrilled to see a different side of Gunnar. My goodness, where did that come from? That was so sweet to hear him talk about how he misses his brother, and seeing him treat his client so well was sweet, too. By his actions alone, Gunnar tore Ven's pathetic excuses to shreds. I can hear that shredder humming now as I contemplate next week's episode and Ven's "Men make better designers" remark. Hear that sound, sweetheart? That's your reputation getting dumped in the trash. Anyway, back to Gunnar. I hope this is the real Gunnar, and the earlier bad behavior was just from being in the hyper-competitive bubble of PR. I hope this challenge was a reality check for him about why he's in the design business. If he can maintain a positive attitude then he'll be right near the top of my list.

I forgot to mention Elena earlier. My goodness, what a change for the better, too! That look of disgust on her face while Ven whined about how he shouldn't have been in the Bottom 3 was priceless. And watching how she was so nice throughout the episode was like a breath of fresh air after each bout of Ven's pouting. Somebody commented that maybe Elena just didn't understand how her earlier behavior came across. I wonder if that was a cultural thing? I took a Russian class in college, and our professor was a native of that country. I remember her saying once that Russians are very outspoken and so if you're not prepared for it you could be taken aback or offended. Maybe Elena just hasn't learned American social nuances yet, although she is making progress (i.e. her comment to Gunnar about "That's not what I mean! It was supposed to be a compliment!"). After this week, I'm definitely willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Honorable mention to her and Alicia for being willing to go out of their comfort zones without whining. Both stepped up to the plate and knocked it out of the ballpark. Once again, their actions spoke a whole lot better than Ven's words.

On the negative side, there's not much I can say about Ven since everybody has said it already! You're echoing my thoughts! I agree with you, JustCoz, that the worst part is that he just...doesn't...get it. 'Til the end of his days he'll be wrapped in his cocoon of smug self-righteousness and keep whining about how misunderstood he was. Poor baby... I love what somebody said here--they can't edit what you don't say! You didn't have to say all those nasty things, Ven. You could have kept them to yourself and done the best job you could under the circumstances. Even if it was some nasty producer conspiracy to pick on you, you could have had some pride and refuse to rise (or fall) to their bait. You could have tried to rise to the challenge, and go out of your comfort zone like the other designers did. Instead, you chose to sit around and sulk and whine like my 4-year-old niece when she has to go to bed.

I hope the judges don't make another "Wretchen" mistake and let Ven win. They have to know that the reaction they got after Wretchen's win will look like a Sunday school picnic if Ven wins this season. Somebody mentioned Jeffrey acting like a jerk on this challenge. I stopped watching that season after that challenge, and was so disgusted when I heard he'd won that I almost didn't come back and watch next season. If it looks like Ven has any chance of winning, i.e. he makes it to Fashion Week, then I will stop watching again.

I know her show flopped in the US, but really, I think Anne Robinson should have the final say here. "You are the weakest link. Good-bye!"
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Luv that the newspaper, blogs and twitter all hate Ven.

'Project Runway' And The Designer Who Looked Even Worse Than His Clothes : Monkey See : NPR

'Project Runway' And The Designer Who Looked Even Worse Than His Clothes

02:19 pm

August 24, 2012

by Linda Holmes

When you sign up for Project Runway, there are a few things you can expect. You can expect at least one challenge where you make clothes out of food, or auto parts, or plants and flowers. You can expect to be told to make it work. And you can expect a challenge that will require you to make clothes for people other than models. Maybe it will be designers' relatives, maybe men, maybe a rock band, maybe women who have lost lots of weight, maybe girls going to the prom. But you will likely not get all the way through the season designing for models only.

Of course, reality television constantly surprises with its ability to surprise people who shouldn't be surprised ... or something along those lines.

Last night's episode was called "Fix My Friend," and the clients were women whose friends or family had nominated them for a fashion overhaul. They varied in size and style, in age, and in what they wanted out of the designers. The challenge brought in women ranging from a singer who wanted a slinky, sexy dress to an artist who specifically didn't want anything too feminine.

And then there was Terri.

Terri's friend brought her in because she dressed too casually at work; she wears jeans and t-shirts when it's supposed to be "business casual." And Terri's assigned designer, Ven Budhu, had this to say about her in an interview: "When I first see Terri, I'm in shock." Why was he in shock? Because she was, he later estimated, perhaps a size 14. Her proportions, he said, were very different from a model's, and were in his words "completely off." Off of what, he did not say. His sketch had a tiny cinched waist that she doesn't have, which suggested that not only can he not design for any other shape, but he cannot even conjure it in his mind's eye.
    A screenshot of Terri in her t-shirt and jeans. Oh the humanity.

Here's a screenshot of Terri. OH THE HUMANITY.

Meanwhile, this season's previous title-holder for bitchiest contestant, Gunnar, was utterly tickled by the challenge. His client was also bigger than a model, and he treated her so warmly and sweetly that she burst into what she assured him were happy tears. They happily hugged. "I'm going to make you into a fox," he said with a mischievous grin. "You don't even know." She beamed. Gunnar picked up on the possibility that thrilling this woman, who seemed a little uncertain and less than perfectly confident, would get a better response than making another nice dress for a woman who believes she looks great in whatever she wears.

Ven, on the other hand, continued to gripe in his sourpuss fashion about the limitations of his "plus-size" (barely so, incidentally) woman. He complained that it was unfair that others had women who looked like models, while he had a "plus-size figure." Of course, problem number one here is that there are plus-sized models, and there are designers who don't react like they've been confronted with a bucket of putrid pond water when they see them.

Problem number two is that women are not all created equal aside from their size. Some of the designers got smaller models than Ven did, but as a counterbalance, all Terri and her pal really asked for was a dress or a skirt. She didn't specify color, style, length, a performing outfit, or pants. She didn't rule anything out, that we saw. He saw none of that, and none of the challenges that came with anything else about these women. He saw all the women as interchangeably easy or difficult to design for, except for their size, which made his the most difficult of all. Fabio didn't complain that his model rejected feminine dresses on a show that specializes in feminine dresses, after all.

Tim Gunn recognized the problems with Ven's approach right away. As Ven chortled in disgust at his estimate that his client was a size 14, Tim pointed out that that's only "on the cusp" of plus sizes. Ven insisted she "doesn't have a shape," and "doesn't have any sense of style whatsoever." (I'm sorry ... is the model supposed to have the sense of style? Because I thought it was the designer.) He referred to the "before" picture of his client as "a nightmare." He even complained about her age almost 40.

When he actually worked with Terri, you could see her deflate. He forced her through a public try-on of various belts, which he could easily have determined would not fit her since he had measured her and they are belts and perhaps the easiest thing on earth to determine will not fit. If you can't figure out that nobody wants to try on belts that won't fit her in front of a room full of people, then you haven't learned much about plus-sized women, or women, or humans. If he really, honestly looked at her and thought, "OMG SHE IS SO BIG," then why wouldn't he have realized instantly that the tiny belts on display might not fit her?

(In case you doubt that there are oodles of work dresses that look great on women who don't "look like models," as Ven might say, peruse the web site of any retailer that specializes in those clothes here's one example. Many make them, but to see them on real full-figured ladies as models, the specialty stores work better. Note how all these dresses steer into the hips and chest rather than away from them.)

Ven ultimately treated Terri so roughly and rudely that she wound up in tears, to the point where other participants in the challenge were comforting her. He couldn't stop saying things that made it worse, even if he may have said them innocently when he told her he'd been surprised by how great she looked with her new haircut, she clearly took it as only another affirmation that he thought she was ugly. (As many have pointed out, Ven is no skinny thing himself, but that's really beside the point, because it's not as if it would be better if he were.)

What's interesting is that Ven's errors in dressing his client are painfully evident. It doesn't take a genius to see what he did wrong. Most glaringly, the high waist of the skirt is almost even with the bottom of the enormous, shiny sleeves on the top, which creates a backwards optical illusion in which her entire top half, including the sleeves, looks like one huge block. That makes it look like all of her like her waist, in particular is as wide as the outer edges of those sleeves. That is what you would do if you wanted to make someone's top half and waist look bigger.

My frank armchair diagnosis is that he had absolutely no idea how to cut a top that accommodates breasts. Cutting a top for a woman with a substantial chest is quite different, whether she's thin or not, from cutting one for a woman with a very small chest, as is common on runway models. I think he had no idea how to cut a nicely fitted top, so he did this weird wrapped/draped thing that just looked sloppy and thrown together.

Speaking of which, what was he thinking with that fabric? Shiny, satiny fabric is pretty unforgiving, and if you wrap it and drape it and bunch it, it's just awkward and inelegant. On a personal note, my coloring is very much like Terri's I'm pale with dark hair and I would never in one million years wear that bright turquoise color. Had he made her a simple wrap top in a deep berry-colored matte fabric, he might well have been a lot closer. But those giant sleeves in that shiny fabric, with that unfinished, messy wrapping? That's not going to flatter anyone. That sends an unmistakable message that the designer has given up on the client and just covered her with fabric like she's a stained couch undergoing a DIY reupholstery.

It's easy to imagine that people who watch reality television like all meanness equally, but they don't. Twitter lit up last night with angry comments about the way Ven treated Terri. You can pick on each other, but you're not supposed to pick on the civilians. He should probably kiss that Fan Favorite money goodbye.

The judges put Ven in the bottom two last night they didn't eliminate him, but they apparently wanted to put a scare into him about the way he treated his client and how much she hated the dress she wound up with. But he learned nothing, unfortunately. Last night, he was still on Twitter, insisting that his model was given to him because he could not possibly succeed in making nice clothes for her in other words, it was designed to force him to fail. At one point, he asked, "Why is everything about politics???", as if not treating clients so poorly that they cry not to mention not putting them in ill-fitting, ugly tops and then blaming them for feeling negative toward them is political rather than personal.
    Terri in her new, not very attractive clothes.
    Enlarge

The ultimate irony is that Ven complained bitterly that his client looked old and huge, and in the outfit he made, she looks both older and bigger than she looked in her jeans and t-shirt. (Lifetime doesn't have the press photos up yet; please enjoy this screenshot.) (And really, go look at their full photo gallery of the ugly top to see it more clearly.)

As Tim Gunn ushered out Nathan, who was eliminated in the episode, he praised him, saying he would be missed. "We're not only losing an excellent designer," Tim noted, "we're losing an individual who has profound qualities of character." It was tough not to read it as a veiled dig at Ven, who had come into the episode as a frontrunner and left as a villain a villain who still felt like a victim, put-upon by being forced to make clothes for a woman who didn't look like a model.

I regret to inform him that most women most women he will meet in the world, most women he will bump into who saw him on television, most women who will spend money and buy his clothes don't look like models. It will be lonely out there for a guy who can't do the one thing that would turn this around: look at this episode, feel embarrassed, repent, and offer to make Terri a beautiful dress to make up for the way he treated her.

Wow, I was looking at Terri's before and after pictures side by side and Ven actually does make her look 20 to 40 lbs heavier in his outfit.

BTW, pikachu . . .

I appreciate the weekly pics and artwork SO much, and "Thanks!"

GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!

Keep 'em COMIN' please!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Wow, CookieJ, your post brought back memories for me...I got weighed by my mother every day and God forbid if I gained a pound...I'd be accused of lying about what I ate. There are still some after-affects that linger....not much anymore but some which annoys me since I"m now older than dirt and know better.

I agree with all the poster regarding Ven's cruel/unkind remarks...and then to say she had no sense of style or fashion...Yes, Ven...that's why they are there..they needed some help..a lot of us do!
    sheesh.

The one thing that has stayed with me and has me still puzzled was Fabio's model...I'm paraphrasing her but she said said something about not like to wear dresses because she didn't like being a female because it made her feel weak and not strong....there was also something said about her wanting to be ambiguous regarding her gender.

Has kept me wondering why she feels this way, was it something that happened in her past? I am aware that there are some people who feel somewhat "asexual," just read an article about that.
    but I didn't feel it was her sexuality that she was referring to but more about her gender identity. I was quite surprised after hearing her remarks that she fell so in love with the dress almost instantly. I was happy for both her and Fabio.
    And for all the designers who really tried to help each lady...shall I just say all that acted the opposite of Ven?

Last night, he was still on Twitter, insisting that his model was given to him because he could not possibly succeed in making nice clothes for her in other words, it was designed to force him to fail. At one point, he asked, "Why is everything about politics???", )))

Let's just say this is true (which I'm sure it's not), why didn't he see it as a challenge and try and prove the judges/producers wrong? He's an idiot!!

Other thoughts....
    I am a 'plus size' (I personally hate that term) and one thing that irks the crap out of me is looking at catalogs that come in the mail for plus sized clothing (order from one and they ALL start showing up in the mail!) and the models are stick thin 'regular' models. Let's face it, when you are a size 18/20 that beautiful swimsuit that looks great on the size 2 model is not going to look the same on a size 22. What are these people thinking when putting together these catalogs? Do they think we are delusional and think if we buy that particular item we will magicially be transformed into looking like we just strutted down the catwalk? There are so many beautiful larger women out there that could be models for these particular companies that cater to the larger women- why aren't they utilizing them? I for one will not buy clothing from a plus size catalog that doesn't use plus size models. (OK...done rant!)

And completely off the subject, but appropriate to the episode...I HATE BOOTIES!! Unless they are worn with pants, I think they look aweful. It cuts off the leg line and makes everyone look short and dumpy. Dmitry's dress was fine, but it looked dreadful with those heavy black booties. I didn't even like the winning look paired with the ugly brown booties. Am I the only one who thinks they look bad??
    Photobabe likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm with you on the booties. I don't get it that people think they look great.

FORT Fogey

I agree with you...heck even the ice skaters cover the line where their white skates end with the flesh colored covers..and the clash of white is far less jarring than the dark booties

I don't like the booties with dresses either. They're fine with pants but I agree they're not flattering. On top of that I find most of them ugly. The few I've seen that I do like I'd never wear with a dress.

+ Reply to Thread