+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Re: 7/26 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

I enjoyed last nights episode and was amazed at the creativity the designers showed. But was surprised how many used too much fabric, Apron Lady, used the umbrella fabric for the bustle, Dimitry used fabric for the top of his dress, but I must admit I loves the bottom part, then there was Lantie and Buffy. What part of this is a candy challege do folks not understand?

I keep expecting the two that left to leave. When is that going to happen? The impression I got from the spoilers was that it was to happen this episode.

I feel sorry for the models as they can't sit or relax in those outfits or go to the bathroom. Hope there was a good supply of Depends provided for them.
    Allie and Babbred like this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Ven and Sonjia are my top two favorites and I was waffling on my third spot, but I think it might have to go to Dmitry. I loved his dress and thought it was a strong contender for top three. "Goner" used more candy and (perhaps) Dimtry used too much fabric, but I liked it much better than Mr. Snippypants design. I also thought that Raul's design was very good and it didn't get any recognition from the judges either.

It was a toss-up between Ven and Sonjia and I would not have been disappointed either way. I do wish Sonjia would stop with the red lipstick . . . at one point, it looked like she was wearing those wax candy lips we had as kids. Either that or she's a walking ad for the Rolling Stones.

I agree with the bottom three, but I think the bottom two should have been Elena and Lantie. Haven't liked Lantie's attitude from the start ('other girls may think I'm pretty") so I am not at all sad that she was sent home . . . . . however . . . . . I had her pegged as one of the runaways, so my theory is blown.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I keep expecting the two that left to leave. When is that going to happen? The impression I got from the spoilers was that it was to happen this episode.

I was under the impression that it happened EARLY in the competition, but that may have been my own imagination at work. I paused the show and counted the contestant standing on the runway at the end of the challenge (in next weeks preview) and there were 14 of them, so whoever left did NOT do so after the candy challenge.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I agreed with the top two. They really were the only two up for the win, you could tell. The third spot could have gone to a couple of the designers, IMHO. I think the reason why the one who went home did was because you could tell she just gave up and sent something down the runway. Bad attitude, too. Lazy. She won't be missed.

I like Ven's designs, but I'm not sure I like Ven. He comes off as arrogant and entitled on camera, but then he got all gooshy and gracious with the judges when he won.. which tells me he's a manipulator, and I don't like that. I think the Rose design is somehow his signature and he will probably work that into all designs in some way, but that is just my thought.

I loved Sonjia's dress, including the little tail thingy in the back for some reason! I just thought the gummi sharks were brilliant. Tim was right, they looked like seaglass. I can see she and Ven in the top three.

I'm so glad Lantie is gone. She signed her own ticket home when she said she wasn't using much candy on the dress. I also just turned 50 myself last week and I don't feel bad at all now when I look in the mirror, because that 48 year old woman looked a helluva lot older than me!

Gunnar is too much for me already. He needs to reel it in a bit or I'm going to have a hard time even watching him. Kooan is definitely the Whackadoodle for the season, and I can't believe he's going to last much longer.

My predictions for the Middle of the Night MIA's are Elina and Andrea.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here are pictures of the fashions from this week's episode:

cubsfan55 likes this.

Episode Notes:

As unconventional materials go, candy isnít so bad to work with. Itís small enough that it can be glued to fabric, itís colorful, and the whimsical nature of it appeals to pretty much all people.

I hadnít thought before about how much the designers spend at the venues they get materials from. This week they had $250 each to spend. There are 15 designers. That means they spent about $3,750. And it could have been much more than that since they got a 50% discount at Dylanís Candy Bar. If all of them spent the maximum allowable, they walked away with $7,500 worth of merchandise!

My critiques:

Alicia:
    I wasnít impressed by Alicia last week and Iím not impressed this week, either. First of all, Iím not a fan of kidís wear (like jumpers) for adults. Second of all, Iím not a fan of asymmetrical straps. It can work if done right but most of the time it just looks odd to me. I donít see Aliciaís work as high fashion. Her candy jumper might be ok for a an island-themed college keg party but I wouldnít expect to see it in Vogue or worn by a celebrity on the red carpet anytime soon.

Andrea:
    Speaking of island-themed keg parties, I believe Andrea is playing the part of the piŮata at this party. She looks ready to have everyone take swings at her with a stick to see if they can get candy out of her. I think the idea of this would have worked if she had made it a dress instead of an apron and put candy in strategic spots and shapes instead of creating a wall of candy. She lost the modelís figure with her straight shaping and the open back makes the outfit look messy and incomplete.

Buffi:
    Honestly, I didnít think Buffiís outfit was as horrible as the judges did. I could see Taylor Swift wearing this in one of her music videos. Itís unfortunate that the top started to melt and droop but you have to give her credit for all the effort she put into weaving it. I think the skirt complements the top very nicely and has plenty of movement and visual interest. It wasnít my favorite look of the week by any means but I wouldnít have put Buffi in the bottom three.

Christopher:
    Christopher did a pretty good job this week. I find nothing really off about his dress but nothing spectacular about it either. Iím glad he didnít make the length of the dress any shorter and the bodice fits the model well.

Dmitry:
    I really liked Dmitryís dress. If I was a judge, this would have been in my top three! The candy wasnít hidden so you could tell it was a candy dress and he made excellent use of the colors and sheen of the candy to make it pop off the dark fabric he used for the dress. Even without the candy, I like the structure of the dress. I loved that he had the candy hang down so it would sway as the model walked. It was one of the most stunning outfits on the runway.

Elena:
    What was it Michael Kors called this outfit? Rotini Warrior? OMG, that was so funny and so true! Another hideous outfit from Elena. I get the feeling Iím never going to like any of her stuff because I donít like her style. The big boxy shapes she favors are not flattering on a womanís body. On top of that, I hate the total lack of color. If youíre going to do a big bulky dress for a linebacker, at least give it a shot of color to liven it up! The pina colada fumes from her candy also gave Elena bad attitude. She refused to listen to anything the judges said about everything that was wrong about her dress.

Fabio:
    Fabio did better this week than last week. I liked the colors of his dress and how he used the candy on the top. Iím glad he decided to go sleeveless on both arms this time instead of having one sleeved and one sleeveless arm like last week.

Gunnar:
    I didnít like this outfit as much as the judges did. The pattern is a bit busy for me. Perhaps if he had used bigger squares or only had the pattern on the top or bottom of the dress I would have liked it better. I donít care for the ruffled belt. It looks messy in contrast to the neatly lined up boxes and edge of the hem.

Kooan:
    My first thought on seeing Kooanís dress was that it was tribal wear. His model looks like a Polynesian dancer at an island tribal ceremony getting ready to dance as a victim is sacrificed to the god of the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Lantie:
    If this wasnít an unconventional challenge Lantie would have been safe this week but since she chose to use hardly any candy in her outfit, she guaranteed her ticket home. Itís too bad because her dress looks really nice, but she didnít do much to manipulate the umbrella fabric. She pretty much just put it together as-is for the dress.

Melissa:
    I hope next week Melissa does an outfit in some other color besides black. I understand that a designer might have a preference for a certain color but even if theyíve chosen one color as their signature, I think they still need to be capable of incorporating other colors into their work. The bodice of the dress was a little strange shaped but overall it was an ok outfit.

Nathan:
    This whole look isnít my style at all. I donít like bubble skirts and the triangular bodice is odd. Plus, what woman is going to want to wear an outfit that has a 20 pound skirt she has to hold up all evening?

Raul:
    I take it the fishtail mudflap is ďinĒ this season. Both Raul and Sonjia used it in their outfits. Raulís outfit was ok. Not the kind of thing I would wear since I donít like exposing my midsection. I like this outfit better from the back than from the front. The back has more structure to add to the visual appeal.

Sonjia:
    I really loved Sonjiaís outfit and thought it would be a toss-up between her and Ven being declared the winner, with her having the edge because she used more types of candy in different innovative ways. On the one hand we have Lantie claiming she threw together her umbrella fabric dress because she didnít have enough time to do anything more, and then on the other hand we have Sonjia who used that same time to piece together a shark candy neckline, a bodice, and a skirt, as well as create a hat to top it off. Itís clear that time wasnít the issue. Lantie failed at this challenge because she wasnít as good as Sonjia and the other designers. BTW, I didnít dislike Sonjiaís hat like the judges did. It went with the outfit and was one extra detail to make this outfit look complete.

Ven:
    Ven had the same idea I did about how to go about this challenge. I was thinking, too, of using candy crystals to create panels of color. Like someone else said, I hope Ven does something different than a flower motif and pink/red colors for his next design to show that heís not just a one-trick pony. I love the complex swirl design, dark edges, and soft colors on this dress. He tied them together masterful and transformed the candy into a work of art.
    cubsfan55 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    PhoneGrrrl and cubsfan . . .

You're not alone! I'm on the east coast, and I think we're on rerun three or four (with ANOTHER one coming up after the one that's on right now finishes!)! Didn't want to start a thread with just me being the only one here! LOL!
    And YOU are not alone either, ness!
    Impossible things are being done every day.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Kooan:
    My first thought on seeing Kooanís dress was that it was tribal wear. His model looks like a Polynesian dancer at an island tribal ceremony getting ready to dance as a victim is sacrificed to the god of the Big Rock Candy Mountain.
    Yes, I so agree here - I STILL think he should've been in the bottom three over Buffi, but Buffi warned for the outfit.

I liked Nathan's outfit too but as you said, it's too heavy. Surprised not dinged for his model having to hold it up - should've required a hand lift to prove it was made and sewn.

BTW - I really TRULY do not like it when the judges ding anyone in this show for using fabric or fabric like materials when they say anything in a store is open for use. Just say "no fabrics except muslin" - that will keep these outfits in the spirit of the competition, and if he person should not figure out what to design with the odd materials - then quit the challenge or just throw something together.

Note - thrown together example - Emilio's infamous washer bikini.

But I hate it when these judges penalize the designers for using fabrics in a store for unconventional challenges.

I understand why the judges don't like designers using fabric-like materials in unconventional challenges. I don't expect the designers to use 100% unconventional items but if they do use a fabric item, it should be used in a non-conventional way, manipulated in some way (like dyed or cut into pieces to make a pattern), and not be the main focus on the outfit. Using fabric-like material and none of the unconventional materials is sort of a copout and not taking advantage of the opportunity to try something creative.

I think what they're looking for in those challenges is innovation. They want the designers to use an item in a way that other people might not think of. If you put some amateur designers in a candy store, they might be able to make an outfit by using umbrella cloth, too. Not many of them would think to make a neckpiece out of jelly sharks like Sonjia did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast