+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: All Stars 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: All Stars 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Liked Kenley's. It cute, fun and flirty.
    That's the problem with Kenley... All she ever does is a cute, fun and flirty dress, whether or not the challenge calls for it.

She makes great wearble stuff that young women should want to wear, but I'm not sure why she's on the show if that's all she intends to do.
    Allie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Kenley - same old, same old. And WTF was she wearing while sitting there on the couch next to Kara? Somewhere, there's an old lady's bathroom missing the rug that goes around the toilet!

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who noticed Kenley's outfit. As a friend of mine is fond of saying, she looked like she dressed at Goodwill in the dark.
    Little Sew&Sew and jucamer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    I think they should have declared no winner this week, only "safe" people. None of these looks are all that.

In general, I've been surprised by the failure of the imagination on everyone's part all season. If one thing is clear, it's why most of these "All-Stars" didn't win their season. Too many of them refuse to design outside their little boxes. And I'd like to know what hypnotic power Michael C has over the judges that keeps netting him praise for his drapey-drapey pieces -- he's worse than Rami ever was with the draping.

We've been saying it casually since the cast was announced, but now it really seems to be the truth -- this season was set up to be Mondo's Revenge. Nobody else in the cast has been able to pull off the combination of "good" and "original/unpredictable" like he can. Austin comes in second but sometimes falls short on the "original" part, and Jerell usually falls short on the "good" part. Everyone else just makes the same clothes they've always made, no matter what the challenge.
    I agree on lack of imagination - Jerrell alone missed the idea of using Batik patterns and done a dress based on the material and country. Admittedly Batik can be expensive depending on the fabric it's on (I saw a version in cotton that was $8/yard), but still, it'd been better than this.

Greece could've been light and airy, but not a literal Greek Dress.

Austin's and Mondo's were really the only two inspired by the flags and not trying to be a literal version of the flag in a way. Austin's reflected beach weather and Mondo's felt comfortable to wear and bold patterns.

And you are spont on in the final paragraph regarding Mondo, Austin and Jerrell - they are really the only three who at least attempt to design outside the box and even if they totally bomb (all three have in this season) at least they have tried.

Out of the other three from this past challenge - Mila colorblocked everything, Kenley had another retro dress and Michael draped something... and one that is similar to another dress he's made.

Currently, the only designer there who has shown over both series he could've/should've won his season is Mondo. He's had the same ups and downs both seasons and been consistent. Austin second based on what I've seen, then Jerrell third.

Very good and accurate posts on this episode.
    Just wanted to add that I think Austin's talent usually shows when he has more time and so far, he hasn't had that and it seems to throw him off.
    Mondo's dress was once again so beautifully made and very distinctive. It wasn't my favorite of his but darn good.
    As I've said before, Kenley's personality drives me nuts but what she does produce is a very find product. No one questions that she has discovered her "brand" and does it extremely well but she'll be out if she doesn't give the judges what they want. I love her clothes but try something different for the show....then she can always go back to her style. I'd wear her clothes in a minute if I had the body I had in the '60's. I think she remains because she's really good at what she does, although a one-note designer.
    As soon as I saw Milla pick her flag, I knew what she'd produce....all black, red and white....all the time. And this one was odd.
    When I first saw Jerell's design while going thru hair and makeup, from a distance it looked very interesting. W/that green thing on it and the lousy finishing, it was dreadful. Why is he still there??
    Michael make me laugh at his constant reminders that he was Greek....I heard him say his mother was Greek...wonder what poor old dad was because obviously his nationality was totally dismissed by Michael. And shame on him for doing a pagent dress...and one who's back was too swinging loosely for a good fit. That blue bow was ridiculous.

Have I really not recognized Leslie from Cycle 6 of ANTM until this week? Has she been Michael's model all season?

I thought Mila had a good idea, but her execution was awful. If she had brought up the hem on the red side and angled the black hem, instead of having it be horizontal, I would have liked it a lot more. As it was, it looked like a weird costume and not a cohesive design.

Speaking of weird costumes....that thing Jerrell designed was horrifyingly bad. Even his model looked embarrassed for him.

I like Kenley. Yes, that's her aesthetic, but I'm okay with it as long as she does it well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Can someone give me a brief refresher why some think this is Mondo's revenge. I have totally forgotten his season and what happened. Thanks. I know Gretchen won, that is all.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I know Gretchen won, that is all.
    Isn't that ENOUGH????

Mondo outshone Gretchen week after week, putting some of the most amazing things on the PR runway that they've ever seen there. Gretchen (IMO) just never got eliminated because the judges sent someone else home each week and she skated under the radar through to the finals. Then she put some kind of the ugliest clothes in the world into the finals (remember "granny panties"?) and Michael Kors bullied the other judges into giving her the title. Even Tim referred to the fact that the judges must have been "smoking crack" to give Gretchen the win.

That's my version of a refresher.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Can someone give me a brief refresher why some think this is Mondo's revenge. I have totally forgotten his season and what happened. Thanks. I know Gretchen won, that is all.
    AZ pretty much said it in a nutshell but to give you an idea - that "clothes off the back challenge" this season where Michael made what was adequately described as "underwear"?

Think that times 6 plus a couple of boho dresses like Mondo did for "Godspell" but with flowy shirts and all of this in drab browns and tans with huge handmade but super simple jewelry that looked like narrow breast plates and you have Gretchen's Collection.

Mondo's were pretty much what we've seen somewhat this season - his dress this week had reflections to the silhouette of this long black dress with bubble print panels, plus several really cool decorated skull shirts and such as well that if I could afford his work I'd admittedly buy myself (and I'm not a fan of skulls - though he did have at least one lovely cross one as well).

I think Michael and Nina bullied Heidi into giving Gretchen the win though because hers was more "ready to wear." People really dont' wear that stuff and it shows when Gretchen fell off the radar very quickly. Even Anya (last season's winner and the collection you see when the prizes are being announced) and Seth Austin (the fellow who won before Gretchen) have had longer legacies so far. In fact, I read almost all the winners and many of the other contestants have had more success than Gretchen in clothing.

(Sorry, I wasn't fond of Irina's win, who won before Seth Austin, but even her designs were better than Gretchen's).

The dress Kenley designed for this challenge is a direct knock-off of a dress she presented in her season finale which I believe was considere a knock-off of Balenciga. I am not good at being able to post side by side comparasions however the only differences between the 2 designs were color & she used tulle on the side inseatd of fabric.

Gretchen did show at Fashion Week a couple of weeks ago albeit in a smaller stage so obviously she is still selling. Leanne Marshall is now doing bridal.

If you read that article I posted about Rami he was doing great on his own away from PR. He also hinted that this was not at all the same production staff that is associated with the PR they did & if he had known that he never would have come back to do this season & it sunded like alot of designers felt the same way. They were shocked at no Tim Gunn. Rami has a deal with a bridal retailer & he designed Madonna's Super Bowl look.
    Last edited by PA Snow Bunny; 02-26-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    The dress Kenley designed for this challenge is a direct knock-off of a dress she presented in her season finale which I believe was considere a knock-off of Balenciga. I am not good at being able to post side by side comparasions however the only differences between the 2 designs were color & she used tulle on the side inseatd of fabric.

I admire your recall abilities PA SNOW BUNNY!

In this video, the dress in question is the third one to come down the runway: Project Runway 5 Final Collection - Kenley Collins | NowPublic Video Archives

Here's a pic of her entire collection from her season. The dress that looks remarkable similar to her Chile dress is second from the right in the top row. Click on the pic to see a bigger image.

2946506500_473cf4d02f.jpg
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast