+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: PR9 11/3 - Tim Gunn Behind the Seams special - Show Discussion

Re: PR9 11/3 - Tim Gunn Behind the Seams special - Show Discussion

Rafael and Josh C I think had the funniest but most fitting decoy in the stilt walking challenge. I have to admit it was bad, but it was hilarious. I think Tim was worried it was serious, but both of them did do decent enough clothes that this was obvious more of a joke thank serious work. Plus, seeing a couple of awful outfits in the mix there... I was pleasantly surprised it blended in anyway.

I think Tim was crying because he hasn't really been given this type of respect I think. That said, it's obvious he's on a "lite" mode due to his personal opinions of the judges or something in previous seasons. But, I personally think it was nice to see this side of Tim.

Do agree with him on the glue issue - too much glue, and it should be a huge alert it's overused when one contestant - Oliver - actually tried to cut corners in fabricating something at all by gluing the outfit onto the model. Don't blame him for wanting to ban glue as a form of stitching; however, the fastener issue depends on what they're actually using before I'd say ban any sewing the clothes onto the models. Some things, such as say the newspaper challenge, you can't really have fasteners so you may have to "Sew" in your models.

I had to record this last night. I plan to watch it tonight since I either sprained or broke my ankle...looks like I'll be watching a lot of TV tonight with ice on my ankle.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy View Post
    Tim complained about glue guns ... said never before used so much. (Tim must have forgotten that Santino glued nearly all his seams together, but whatever.) It was Anthony Ryan shown gluing more than anyone else, including two winning looks. Tim also knocked designers this season for sewing clothes closed on their models and not using closures.
    I thought by the way Tim said it that he was alluding they were sewing their models into the garments due to not enough time. I got the feeling that along with the 'no glue gun' rule that he wanted to give them some more time. It's certainly something that a lot have complained about; that the challenges are just too rushed. He started to say that was going to change next year but kind of stopped himself.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I would certainly go along with more restrictions on using glue guns and sewing models into their dresses. I think designers should include proper closures in their garments and not use glue guns as a crutch.

I don't think gluing, pinning and hand sewing to close is a crutch ... although we would like to believe differently, all of that is part of the real world of runway shows and photo sessons.

I have been watching PR since season one and other than the no gluing clothing to skin rule, I think each designer should be given the freedom to produce a look. They are not producing ready to wear, they are producing runway shows.

Anyway, if Project Runway changes back to what it use to be, meaning, designers not judged for styling and for only for what they produced, then maybe ... but, I believe Project Runway is a better for the styling and emphasis on putting on a show.

Also, how many true hems are actually finished? I'd say very few. Do we really want to see a designer prohibited from pinning, gluing or hand sewing a garment closed if a zipper fails or a seam rips?

The only thing I'd like to see is finalists given more time to produce their fashion week collection for 5 weeks is just not enough and models given back the role they once had (prior to the production of "Models of the Runway") for right now they are only, in effect, props or mannequins.
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 11-04-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

As others have said, if they're going to ban glue guns, the designers need to be given more time. I don't mind them using glue guns. I know they can hem a skirt or a trouser leg, or install a zipper. We get to see what their design looks like - I don't care what it looks like on the inside. If they have to create a totally finished product in the limited time they have, I'd expect that designs would be simplified. And there have been times when there is a last-minute model substitution and the designer has to rip apart seams at the last minute to make a garment bigger or smaller.

I wondered about Josh's absence and thought it was odd it wasn't mentioned. I'm guessing Josh declined to appear for some reason.

I was disappointed that we didn't see the full runway shows of the decoys. I would have rather seen that that the person-on-the-street interviews, or the hokey awards to the designers.

I had mixed feelings about the show. I liked some parts, but other times I wished it had been a "Bachelor" type reunion where they actually dished about each other. I would love to have heard what they really thought about Josh. Maybe that's why he didn't show up.

Dislikes:

--the set. Was that an art museum? It was so cold and formal. Why couldn't they have held it in one of the apartments? And in the second half, why was Tim standing a few feet away from the designers? Did he feel like he was teaching a class again?

I must say, though, that I would love to study in one of Tim's classes.

--the camera work, especially when Tim was by himself. Whenever it would jump to the camera on his left, it was really distracting.

--the overall lightness of tone. In addition to the lack of criticism, I would have preferred to hear more "Runway Secrets." For instance, I read an interview with a former contestant once, and he also complained about the lack of time. Sometimes the episodes are filmed one right after another, with no break in between. In fact, he said, there were times when they would say good-bye to a contestant and then be hustled right into their next challenge, with no time to really process that they had just lost a friend. No wonder the designers often look tired and stressed.

--hearing Tim's pet peeves. I liked that he mentioned how he thought Anthony Ryan (?) had been cheated out of a win. Also his thoughts about glue gunning and sewing models into their dresses. I agreed with him, but in fairness I also agree that it goes back to the time issue. That's always been a peeve of mine, that the designers are given so little time. How can you make something fashionable and well sewn if you're always looking over your shoulder at the clock?

--Tim's oblique reference to Josh and Wretchen/Hivy. "At least there hasn't been a campaign of sustained bullying this season." I will grant him that. Josh may have been nasty in a couple of episodes, but at least it was due to the stress of the moment and not a conerted effort to bully somebody. And I'm glad that overall this season was much friendlier than the last one.

--the tributes to Tim. I didn't mind them at all. In fact, I teared up, too. We love you, Tim!

Hearing those people on the street say they loved Anya got me to thinking that it was maybe her personality they loved more than her fashion. That, and the way she dressed. Sometimes that happens. Chris March was my favorite designer in his season, just because I loved how he took everything in stride and wasn't a drama king/queen like some other designers have been.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    Hearing those people on the street say they loved Anya got me to thinking that it was maybe her personality they loved more than her fashion. That, and the way she dressed. Sometimes that happens. Chris March was my favorite designer in his season, just because I loved how he took everything in stride and wasn't a drama king/queen like some other designers have been.
    Didn't that one girl say she liked Anya because she was so pretty? I personally didn't like her, but I didn't really dislike her either. Once Bert left I didn't care really and wished them (most of them, lol) well. Good for Anya and I wish her well. I kept on forgetting it was on and didn't have anyone to cheer or really root against.

You know, I didn't even notices that Josh was not there until someone said something. lol

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I had mixed feelings about the show. I liked some parts, but other times I wished it had been a "Bachelor" type reunion where they actually dished about each other. I would love to have heard what they really thought about Josh. Maybe that's why he didn't show up.
    They did some dishing about each other in the half-hour episodes after the show - but I wish they would have done more of those.

I kept waiting for Tim to say that Josh wasn't here because he was ill or out of town or something. When he wasn't mentioned at all, I thought that either he was tired of seeing all the clips of himself being a jerk, or he had gone back to being peeved at Anya's winning.

...I would have preferred to hear more "Runway Secrets."...

Me too. There was a bit of that when one viewer asked about drinking and partying - and the designers all said all they do is sleep. But I'd be interested in the little details. How often can they phone home? Are they allowed to contact only one person? When the designers go to Mood, how often do they go there with something specific in mind and how often do they go hoping for inspiration?

... And I'm glad that overall this season was much friendlier than the last one.

Again I agree. I enjoyed the episodes more where the designers were helping each other than those where designers were getting bullied - those were just uncomfortable to wa

I liked Anya's personality, style, and many of her designs. Her popularity will likely help her sales. I'd like something of Anya's. On the other hand, there were pieces of Josh's I liked, but I wouldn't like to own anything of his because I'd think of his bullying and arrogance. Rationally, it shouldn't matter. A lot of very creative people have poor people skills and are difficult to work for and with. But it's different having read that a particular designer is a terror to work for than having actually seen it.

I think Tim was brought to tears by their appreciation for him because he's a big softie. After watching (and loving) him on all PR shows, his own show "Guide to Style" (which I watched avidly - and learned a lot), and his book, you realize what a kind, intelligent, and erudite man he is. I guess it's obvious that I adore him for many reasons. I think he's easily touched by kindness....just as he is prone to kindness himself. As an example, I remember how he realized how upset Kimberly was that one day, although she tried to hide it and went around just to hug her and it helped.

I really wish I knew why Josh wasn't there...odd that they didn't explain it. I found Josh to be a petulant, selfish and childish person. I think, in the beginning, he tried to play the pity card but unfortunately for him, it didn't work because his nasty side negated any pity we might feel for him.

Yes, the camera work was just terrible and amaturish....you wouldn't think that no one (producer, director, someone??) could clue Tim in to which camera to look at!!

I think Anya was so liked because she was a very pleasant person almost all the time, was incredibly beautiful ....even with a mohawk!!....her inexperience but tanacity and her lovely tasteful flowy clothes. I know I previously said, and still think, that her sewing skills were lacking and they overlooked her inability to produce certain skills that I think she should have posessed, like pants, sleeves, jackets. Flowy is beautiful but doesn't require advanced skills. I know some have said that this isn't Project Seamstress but it has expected it's designers to be able to sew adequately.
    JMO
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast