+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 9/22 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

9/22 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Another team challenge -- oh joy.

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30pm PT / 1:30am PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: 9/22 Show Discussion **West Coast Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Another team challenge -- oh joy.

Please keep all discussion in here until 10:30pm PT / 1:30am PT.

Enjoy the show!
    Sigh. ENOUGH already with the team challenges. PR does not crown the best design team. sigh
    Little Sew&Sew likes this.

This didn't turn out to be a team challenge per se. Two teams of four designed menswear looks for 4 members of an up-and-coming band, The Sheepdogs. But each designer has one band member, and the looks will be judged individually.

Interesting idea, and as menswear challenges go, the looks suck a lot less than the Tiki Barber fiasco in season 4.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    This didn't turn out to be a team challenge per se. Two teams of four designed menswear looks for 4 members of an up-and-coming band, The Sheepdogs. But each designer has one band member, and the looks will be judged individually.

Interesting idea, and as menswear challenges go, the looks suck a lot less than the Tiki Barber fiasco in season 4.
    OK I am not quite as cranky and might try to watch it when it comes on. But thanks for bringing up Tiki. : shudder :

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I should probably save this for my recap, but I am so glad Olivier is gone. The lead singer dude wasn't "plus-sized" for crissake. He was a tall guy, maybe a few extra pounds, but crap on a cracker, he wasn't obese. I don't know the singer, nor care for his performance style, nor think he is in any way attractive, but he was average dude size. If Olivier was indeed a menswear designer, he should freakin' know that not all guys are 5'6" and 120 pounds. Want to suit up corporate hot-shots? Those guys who have the cash to lay down on super-expensive suits? They're much bigger than that. Ugh, I shouldn't watch PR hopped up on Benadryl. I should go to sleep.
    Allie and Little Sew&Sew like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I should probably save this for my recap, but I am so glad Olivier is gone. The lead singer dude wasn't "plus-sized" for crissake. He was a tall guy, maybe a few extra pounds, but crap on a cracker, he wasn't obese. I don't know the singer, nor care for his performance style, nor think he is in any way attractive, but he was average dude size. If Olivier was indeed a menswear designer, he should freakin' know that not all guys are 5'6" and 120 pounds. Want to suit up corporate hot-shots? Those guys who have the cash to lay down on super-expensive suits? They're much bigger than that. Ugh, I shouldn't watch PR hopped up on Benadryl. I should go to sleep.
    Hey, I'm totally sober (and, hope you feel better soon) and you're spot on with Oliver.

No, the guy was actually more of a stocky fellow, probably quite a few more pounds of muscle, but he was by no means obese. He truly looked more "Brady Bunch" in that get up than the drummer did in either Kimberly's or Anya's outfits. Oliver's outfit and attitude did him in plain and simple - it showed in a majority of his outfits, including the one winning outfit he did have (the pet store challenge, where others were quite honestly robbed of the win).

Was glad that Bert and Victor were top two. Their outfits were the most in line with a look - even if I did wish that bet added maybe one more bit of tie-dye shading to the jacket top. The singer might not have quite as been enamored with the outfit, but he did look good in it.

That said Victor's outfit did work. The shirt was a tad flowery, but it was still a more masculine one that you'd had to look at it close up in order to see the flowers. I did however love the jacket - as the judges said he made pleather look expensive, which isn't easy. The jeans - well, I'm not a fan of seeing people pay hundreds for distressed jeans you can do with a bit of sandpaper and a good tumble in the drier; however, he really did a good job making these look like jeans, including the pants pockets. The pockets were also properly placed on the musician's butt, which isn't easy to do. His outfit admittedly too was probably one of the best to style the rest of the band around and it fit in well -the photoshoot clearly showed that.

Anya simply put had a bad day. That top was definitely Pocahontas. She'd been better off using the flower/paisley print as that base instead of the suede type material. Fortunately, her admission of it and honesty kept her from being bottom two. I do think she'll learn from her mistakes here and kick it back up like Bert did.

Kimberley's... well, I have to admit it wouldn't have been as bad without the suede trim on the shirt and smaller buttons. The top was actually a nice color - even if it didn't quite match the cords. She also deserved a second chance.

I liked how Lauren got red denim; however the rest of her outfit didn't work.

Oh well, it wasn't a bad challenge overall IMHO, though I wish the team challenges stopped.

FORT Fogey

I caught just the very end of the first airing and now am watching the late show. Count me in as another one who is so glad that Olivier and his ridiculous attitude, breathy affected accent, and tapioca color palate are GONE. He can't design for women with breasts, he doesn't want to hear from clients, and he doesn't want to design for anyone "plus-sized," which, according to Olivier, is apparently anyone who isn't a seven foot tall anorexic. He completely overestimates his own talent, and if he can't design for anyone who isn't "model-sized" and he can't work with any shades darker/brighter than taupe, please explain to me how he is going to have any kind of career in fashion. There aren't enough tall, skinny people who are terrified of color to keep him in business.

Olivier comes off as far more style than substance. Or perhaps I should say more facade than substance, because some of his clothes are definitely less than stylish. I initially felt sorry for him, because I thought he perhaps was simply overwhelmed and out of place, but these past two weeks, his comments about his clients/models and the other contestants have changed my mind. He simply thinks he should never have to do anything that doesn't appeal to him personally. Well, gee, I hope he can manage to make a living designing solely for himself, then. Most people, regardless of their fields, have to do something eventually that does not personally appeal to them, whether it's dealing with a difficult colleague or soothing a colicky child. Olivier needs to shut up and grow up.
    Endit likes this.

FORT Fogey

I just realized why the print on Olivier's shirt looked familiar. I think my sister made herself a dress in a very similar pattern for high school home ec class--and she graduated from high school in 1969.

I am also glad Olivier is gone - a great designer will know how to make clothes for any body type. I enjoyed this challenge. I do think that Bert had an advantage having lived through the era's that the band felt inspired by. I liked his outfit the most, but agreed that Victor put out the major effort and pulled it off magnificently. I am happy with the win for him. I liked this for a group challenge - the performance on the part of the band was fun to watch, too.

The promise of Olivier has finally imploded for it has became evident that Olivier is only successful when working with a dress form that accurately mimics the challenge's model.

Anyway, now we know why he bitterly complained about large breasts and, during this particular challenge, insisted the band's lead singer as plus-size.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Although Olivier deserved to go a couple of challenges ago, I considered his fashion week's collection (we now know to be a decoy) as one of the best, and until today, thought he finished as one of the finalist

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast